free hit
counters
Essex decals - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Has anyone re- manufactured a set of Essex Esprit decals, if I had a set fitted it may be more simple but from scratch using pictures would end with dimensional errors?

I am considering making an offer this week on MPW but would like to get this sorted first, I wish to return the car to full Essex spec.

Dave

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A decent vinyl company will be able to do them perfectly from pictures. One of our members had a JPS done from scratch and it was perfect! 

I'm with Johnny on that and I would think your estimates on prices for respray and interior trim are very light. If you want to do an Essex replica then I think it would be better to start with a car

A decent vinyl company will be able to do them perfectly from pictures. One of our members had a JPS done from scratch and it was perfect! 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks Bibs, I will print some pictures off and take them around, doubt I will get them done in Plymouth though as when I owned JPS 099 and 013 I took them around locally but was given no confidence getting a perfect match. The JPS scheme is simple compared to the Essex set which has multi colours. Still worth a shot, has anyone got a recommendation?

The car was painted by Surface and Design in Blackpool, the ex-TVR team and they subcontracted the vinyl people. Give them a call on Monday. It was Robert Crooks on her who had the JPS. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Ditto what Bibs said.

I would also see if an owner of an Essex such as Barrie would be willing to take some measurements of the logo elements so you know its bang on perfect.

I would also want a match to the colours if at all possible, the mirror chrome won't be a problem.

Sounds like a plan, worth getting a set done even if MPW does not happen as I still plan to own one some day, the Essex has been my esprit Nemesis since I was about 10 years old having the picture on my wall!

Came close a few times over the years with 007 being the most recent.

MPW needs to be at the right money as the respray will be £2000 for a proper job including new trims and that is using a friend, the Retrim will be about the same, I can wait on the wheels as will do another set like I did on Lex's car which can be seen on my vehicle page. The roof stereo like the comps do come up from time to time. Happy to leave the engine as user friendly and being a development car won't really matter, also to get a dry sump set up would mean breaking another rare car which would not be an option for me!

If all fails I will wait for the S1 to be finished and see what develops. At least with MPW I won't have a number to worry about although I guess it is 001 in reality!

Dave

Drop Steve Tryner a PM. 

I think that he might have some spare decals/stripes but if not he might know somebody who can reproduce. From memory getting the right colour red is the difficulty but TBH nobody would ever know the difference (except about 3 of us).

If you need photos or measurements please let me know as I'd be happy to help out.

Thanks Barrie much appreciated, do you think putting MPW back in ESSEX colours is the right thing to do?

Your car has always been my dream Lotus after seeing it at shows. As you say the red won't matter as it is a rare sight to see two Essex cars together, last time I saw them was at Donington and that was yours and 007 I think but could be wrong as years ago.

I remember driving by 007 in my JPS 099, talking the seller years later he remembered and would have done a deal as he wanted a JPS!! I nearly pulled him over too....

Personally I think it's better kept bronze. You'd have to retrim the whole interior, seats carpets, everything and it still wouldn't be a proper Essex by the end of it, which sounds like what you really want. The most interesting parts of the cars history relate to its Copper bronze days too. And after all, Copper Bronze is a very rare and absolutely stunning colour too.

Edited by The Pits

I agree with Jonny. It's the colour that makes the car so significant. If it was in Essex colours it would still not be 'recognised' as an Essex car but one of the pre production cars.

Personally I'd buy it specifically because of its history but to change it back to Essex spec I think would be a shame and IMHO a bit of a waste of money - particularly given the cost involved in sourcing compomotives, 4 stud hubs, roof console and if you're going the whole hog, a dry sump motor. 

I'm with Johnny on that and I would think your estimates on prices for respray and interior trim are very light. If you want to do an Essex replica then I think it would be better to start with a car that actually needs a respray and interior surely?

Trevor.

• Like 1

I'll get around to it at some point.

You may be right, this is why I held on making an offer when I saw the car listed a couple weeks back, in my heart it is an Essex but in the back of my mind it never truly will be if that makes sense.

The full Retrim won't be as bigger issue in comparison to the exterior.

Copper bronze is my third favourite colour with white/red in second and the black/gold a close fourth.

I don't want to look back on this car with regret as I know if I take the leap she will once again be worthy of my 10 year olds wall although he loves the S1 at the moment.

I still have a 1/18th auto art Essex on my desk at work next to a PPW S1, everyone likes them when they pop by..... Sad I know!!

If think a replica may be a little harsh as the car was born in Essex livery being the first esprit to be on these colours, it would be interesting to see what the first registered colour is with the DVLA, I did read that before it was resprayed for a second time by its current owner that the Essex blue was on all the stone chips and the decals could still be seen in ghost form.

Its a Historic  car.Any way you look at it.In its first livery Essex blue.But stunning in cooper bronze.Good luck .either way you have a very rare sought after S1. You have put a lot of work into.....Cheers Dave..Mike