free hit
counters
Highest-mileage Lotus - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Highest-mileage Lotus

Back in April, Iain Ogilvie's Elise S1 passed the 200,000 mile mark.

Is this the highest-mileage Lotus on the roads?

Volvo used to give out badges to owners of cars that have reached 250,000 miles.  Will Lotus have to do the same?  It certainly should put to bed the notion of Lotus being fragile cars.

Can anyone beat or match Iain's feat?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There was a red 1988 Esprit Turbo I saw at Castle Combe 6-7 years back that had done 250K. The owner did say it had had 3 rebuilds in that time.

Can't find the thread but I'm sure somebody mentioned an Esprit over 300k before now.

• Like 1

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Mark that's brilliant news. Hopefully my 66k Turbo SE has a long lifetime ahead of it. I intend to drive it until I drop dead with age.

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

If not the world. Haven't heard of one with those kind of miles on the clock yet...

Any engine rebuilds under your belt?

yeah car had a new engine at roughly 30,000 miles. this replacement engine lasted until 120,000 miles therefore covering 90,000 miles. The failure @ 120,000 was down to worn main crank bearings.

Interestingly the big end bearings & piston rings etc were all still within lotus's tolerances. Nevertheless my engine received a full rebuild.

Awesome! I can see a new engine is available for around 10-11,000 pounds. Is a rebuild any cheaper or is it around there?

My Excel has 156000 miles on it . Use it most days .

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

My Excel SE has the original unopened 910 engine and is now at 130 000 miles. In fairness, the compression is low across all the cylinders and does now need some fettling, but at the moment it is my daily drive until we get the Merc back from the body shop.

Replacement speedo on Lottie so not sure but probably approaching 150k now.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"