free hit
counters
1981 S3 V8 conversion - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hilly

1981 S3 V8 conversion

Andy,

What model and what year were the rear discs of by the way!

regards danny

A

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not much to show of progress this week :rolleyes:

I am still chopping more bits of metal from the brake caliper mounts and also waiting for some more billet material to arrive so I can make a pair of spacers to get the rear discs in the correct position. More pictures of that to follow.

I have finally got the cam sync to work on the VEMS (helps if you turn it on!!! Thanks to Jorgen for pointing it out) so have been fiddling about with the final few sensors and testing it on the bench. Here is a pic of it hooked up to a mixed signal scope to check the spark and injector outputs are where they are supposed to be.

IMG_0696750x562.jpg

With the VEMS kinda working it is now time to start wiring it to the engine.

When I got the engine also took the Audi ECU. With out the auto-box it isn't going to be much use running the engine, hence I got the VEMS. My original plan was to gut the Audi unit and put the VEMS PCB inside, however when I got it apart it is too big and won't fit, ar$e!!!!

So I have got to get a new case, but what I can do is remove the harness connector and then fit the VEMS to that, will save a bunch of time and will make the wiring a whole lot neater.

One Audi A8 ECU

IMG_0684750x562.jpg

All exposed with it's cover ripped off.

IMG_0685750x562.jpg

Now I need to get the main harness connector off, so I attacked it with a soldering iron and solder sucker.

IMG_0686750x562.jpg

30 minutes later and yippee, the connector is off the PCB and still in one piece.....

IMG_0695750x562.jpg

Next I set about it with a pair of cutters to get all the connector tails the same length so I can then solder a bunch of wires to it.

IMG_0703750x562.jpg

Now that I have got the ECU connector, I need to figure out which wire goes where????

To do that I marked up all the connectors with little white tags while the loom was still on the engine.

IMG_0706750x562.jpg

I now have to trace the wire positions to the connectors so I can wire up the ECU plug, not looking forward to that as it will be a few hours with a meter + pen and paper.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

Andy looking good, Glad to see you got the cam sensor working,

Engine looks great all labelled up,

coming along nicely, did you get your shafts to paul at reco prop!

regards danny

A

Progress continues though there isn't many pictures this week I am afraid :question:

Most of this weeks time has been spent on the VEMS ECU. The ABZ engine loom has been traced and modified for easy hook up to the VEMS, the PCB has been mounted in a case and I am currently wiring up the connector I removed from the Audi ECU, hopefully I will be able test out the completed modified loom this week. Pretty boring stuff with nothing to photograph.

I was hoping to get a bit more done outside today, but due to the hopeless British weather that hasn't happened.

However I did find a dry spell to test fit the front brake caliper mounts.

After drilling and tapping the holes for the caliper mounting bolts I could finally see if it went together on the suspension.

Here it is bracket with the caliper bolted on

IMG_0716750x562.jpg

This time with the disc in place

IMG_0717750x562.jpg

IMG_0718750x562.jpg

Plus a bit of a crappy shot of the caliper behind the wheel (I'll try and take a better one when the weather improves)

IMG_0720750x562.jpg

Just to prove it wasn't a fluke, here is the other side bolted up

IMG_0721750x562.jpg

Just need to machine the caliper mounting face to get the pad positioned on the disc right and I can send them off to be anodised.

That's all for this week.......................

Andy,

Looking good and coming along well mate, the callipers look brilliant as do

the brackets, feel that somebody like you deserves a garage and should

not have to rely on the british weather :question:

Good look and keep on plugging away not long now i think for you!

regards danny

A

More stuff ...................

Not much mechanical progress this week, been mostly working on boring ECU stuff I am afraid.

Having traced out the A8 engine loom I then used the cables from the wrecked engine to wire up the connector I un-soldered from the old ECU last week. Having bought a metal case to house the VEMS PCB it was then time set about fitting it all together and testing it.

IMG_0714750x562.jpg

This kind of stuff always takes longer than you would think, after about an hour I got this far.

IMG_0726750x562.jpg

Then a couple of hours later I ended up with this. You can also see the extra board I added to allow the VEMS to operate the Audi COP drivers. The VEMS can actually drive the COPs directly, but due to the way Audi chose to design the system it would have required me to make some serious changes to the loom which I decided not to do.

IMG_0731750x562.jpg

Having got the VEMS wired up and tested on the bench at work (it sounds incredibly like an engine when the injectors are clattering away) I now needed to turn my attention to the fuel delivery system. As the engine was second hand (like I was going to buy a new one.....) I needed to check the flow rate and spray pattern of the fuel injectors to ensure they were all matched. I also need to know the flow rate of the injectors for the VEMS software. I could of sent them off to a cleaning shop, but being tight I decided to do it myself. I had the liquid delivery system (the pumps and fuel rail), I just needed something to hold the ejected fuel.

To do this let me introduce you to my latest weapon in the fight against crappy fuel injectors........

IMG_0733750x562.jpg

Yeap, that's right, a baby feeding bottle. I was looking around for something that would allow me to measure liquids in 20cc increments and would hold around 250cc as I guessed the flow rate of the injector was around 200cc. It turns out that the feeding bottle was just about the perfect tool for the job as it holds 300cc, it is transparent so you can check the spray pattern, and if you chop the top off the rubber bit, it grips an injector when full of fuel without falling off and splashing flammable petrol all over the place :)

Here it is the bottle hanging from an injector waiting to be burped......

IMG_0735750x562.jpg

I was hoping this photo would come out better, but the bottle allows you to get a good view of the injector spray pattern.

IMG_0738750x562.jpg

Anyway, the injectors all had good clean spray patterns and were very close in flow rate, so I can enter the measured value into the tuning software. To finish off that bit of the project I just need to check that the fuel pump can supply enough fuel, but I need to find my pressure guage to do that.

More to follow......

Hilly

No much has happened as I went away this weekend with the GF for a bit of a break to the New Forest in Hampshire so didn't do much this week on the car, so this is what little I got done this week.

To get the Hispec rear calipers to fit (the hand brake mechanism is way bigger than I had anticipated) I need to space out the rear disc from the hub, yet another bloody bit of metal I have got to make!!!!

I got 2 lumps of 5 1/4" dia x 20mm alloy and started by facing off the back and machining the recess for the hub spigot.

IMG_0741750x562.jpg

With that done I turned them round on the lathe and then checked to ensure I had minimal run-out with a dial guage.

IMG_0742750x562.jpg

Once I had adjusted the run out to below 0.0005" I then machined the front of the spacer.

IMG_0743750x562.jpg

Next, mill out the holes for the wheel bolts, note the use of the low injury risk washer to hold the metal to the mill :)

IMG_0746750x562.jpg

And Voil

Nice one dude,

Sounds promising for the mainden startup.... Althought the real thing will be much more burbly I hope...

If it sounds like chattering injectors you might want to reduce your silencers a bit.....

Ooooohhhh oooohhhh.....

Go for straight pipes....!!!!!!!

Burble burble burble, GGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA mmmmmmmmmmmmm didde pop dide bang bang bang bang..........!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::rolleyes:

Where you doing the injector work to??? Looks like it could be your bench in work.... Esp with a thinkpad laptop!!!!

Simon

Chunky Lover

Nice one Andy!

love the way it runs on the workbench! Also like your preparation! i on the

other hand will be connecting up the vems and crossing my fingers :thumbsup:

Glad to see your project storming along, keep up the pace your

doing a cracking job!

All the best danny :rolleyes:

A

Nice work Andy, I'll be in too see you after Easter. Drove a 3.2 TT yesterday, modern cars don't usually float my boat, but this one cetainly made the tide come in.

Nice work Andy, I'll be in too see you after Easter. Drove a 3.2 TT yesterday, modern cars don't usually float my boat, but this one cetainly made the tide come in.

I have put the coffee on in anticipation of your arrival :rolleyes:

Never seen anyone describe driving a car like that before ??????

Hilly

It is Easter Bank holiday weekend and amazingly the sun is shining!

As the weather is starting to improve I really want to start driving this thing so I need to step the pressure up a bit , so here is a bumper update as proof I am getting my finger out.

To finish off where it ended last week, as I have got the rear disc spacer completed I can now check the alignment of the rear calipers and get the brackets finished. Here is the new rear caliper bracket bolted to the hub

IMG_0769750x562.jpg

On with the disc and I can mark up the radial mounting holes.

IMG_0534750x562.jpg

With the positions marked up I can drill and tap the holes for the M10 bolts, I have finally got all the parts to send off for anodising, which I'll try and sort this week.

Next onto the remote oil filter feed, a number of people have commented to me how rubbish my bit of copper pipe looked (not to mention that it is not really the ideal solution), so I have junked that and got a hydraulic hose fitting.

IMG_0762750x562.jpg

This stuff is rated to 275 bar so should easily hold up to an ABZ oil pump.

I also bought some self assembly fittings and was hoping to be able to cut it to a custom length for a neater install, but there just wasn't the room so I had to loop it round instead, but it doesn't hit anything so should be OK.

IMG_0763750x562.jpg

Onto the cooling system. Having removed the oil-water cooler (it was part of the oil filter housing and just wouldn't fit, hence the remote oil filter) I needed to sort out the water feed to said cooler with a bypass. I was going to drill and tap it the same as the oil feeds, but it is all a bit tight in that area due to the engine mount, so I decided to make an elbow adaptor.

Here it is half done on the lathe.

IMG_0646750x562.jpg

And then in all it's finished gleaming glory...

IMG_0647750x562.jpg

All very good except it didn't fit because I forgot about the engine mount thickness (me stupid) and it wasn't long enough. So I had to make an adaptor for the adaptor to extended it past the engine mount, bit o luck these 'O' rings seal good.

IMG_0764750x562.jpg

Just to finish off, here is that side of the engine with everything fitted.

IMG_0766750x562.jpg

OK, onto the speedo drive.....

The old Lotus gearbox had mechanical speedo drive sticking out the side of it which the 01X doesn't so I'll have to add a trigger and sensor to do it.

The trigger I am going to mount on one of the drive shaft adaptors.

Here are pilot holes for 12 ferrous metal elements.

IMG_0752750x562.jpg

Onto the mill to bore the 12 holes out to 8.5mm (note I am using the mill on a different axis to the previous posts, hence the photo).

IMG_0753750x562.jpg

Tapping out the holes to M10.

IMG_0757750x562.jpg

And I end up with a ships wheel :)

IMG_0755750x562.jpg

Nah, the bolt heads I will cut off and then machined down on the lathe to get the alignment correct, but I can't do that bit till it has been anodised.

But I can check the sensor is in the correct position though.

IMG_0767750x562.jpg.

This image posting limit is a flippin pain.......

Now finally (what!!!! more I hear you all groaning!!!) onto the last tricky bit of the project, the exhaust system.

Due to the mid engine layout of the Esprit and the proximity of the boot floor I was having difficulty trying to figure out how to incorporate an x-pipe into the system. I just couldn't get my head around where the tubing would go whilst missing stuff like the drive shafts, chassis, gear change linkage etc, so figured there no other way but to mock a system up. So I went to the DIY store and picked up a few lengths of 40mm plastic waste pipe and after a few minutes with a hot air gun I ended up with this.

IMG_0773750x562.jpg

Now I know it isn't going to flow very well due to all the kinks in it, but it allowed me to fathom out how to route the exhaust pipe around all the obstacles. The cross-over will go underneath the rear of the gearbox casing behind the chassis. Here is my quality crossover made out of 2 90 degree elbows.

IMG_0772750x562.jpg

I then started mocking up a silencer out of cardboard to see what would fit in the available space.

IMG_0775750x562.jpg

I could only make one silencer as I ran out of cardboard boxes, not a problem though as the right-hand will be a mirror of the left.

Here is the position of the crossover.

IMG_0778750x562.jpg

It all looks do-able so I need to go and speak to an exhaust fabricator about turning my plastic and cardboard master piece into something that will actually work :)

Just need to decide where to to put the tail pipes.

IMG_0776750x562.jpg

Should they go in the old position ( near the wheel at the far edge) or in the cut-out sections nearer the middle, what do you guys reckon ?????????

That is more than enough bandwidth for one update............

Hilly

Maybe the routing of an audi Biturbo exhaust can help?

I did think about putting the cross-over there, it would interfere with the gearchange linkage, remember the RS6 linkage comes in from the other end so it is less of an issue for Audi. Space is a bit tight in that area with regards to putting in heat insulation and the x-pipe needs to be as far down stream before the silencers as possible, so it was a no-go, but thanks for the suggestion

Hilly

Andy,

Looking good mate :)

Know exacly what you mean by the weather, need start pushing on with mine really!

nice work on the speedo pickup very smart! on my gearbox the 01E i took

for granted that it was already on there as i have the reverse light switch on on side

and the speedo pick up on the other or is it not :)

have attached the 2 pics to see what you think!

cheers danny :)Picture281.jpgPicture279.jpg

Edited by silverfrost

A

Yeap Danny, the first picture is the speed sensor so that will save you a bit of work.

Mine hasn't got that at all, not even a mount for it, I guess the car my gearbox came from used the ABS sensor for speed.

HIlly

Guest Troy Halliday

Hilly refine that rear caliper layout and youu could have quite a bit of business there. I'm thinking of all those who fancy a UN1 box :lol:

Bit slow with the update this week.

With the exhaust I have decided to go with dual outlets on either side like the OEM position, so I'll have to cut and mold an aperture on the nearside to match the offside.

I spoke to the exhaust fab shop and they gave it the green light to be able to make a stainless system, so it is booked in, but not until the beginning of June, phooey :D

It isn't cheap either, but quality costs and they will certainly do a much better job of it than me.

Onto stuff I can do, after getting the rear calipers in the correct position I could then drill and tap the threads for the mounting bolts. I had pretty much got this licked when on the last mounting hole this happened .......

IMG_0780750x562.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Without any warning the bloody M10 plug tap snapped off.

I knew I shouldn't have done anything on Friday the 13th.

To say I was mildly pissed off would be a massive understatement.

Pliers and stuff wouldn't shift it as it had mostly broken 3mm below the surface, though I did try, hence all the marks on the surface.

I was about to resign myself to spending another week on the mill making another bracket when we tried a last ditched attempt.

Over 2 hours later with the addition of a blow torch, oil, hammer and a punch it finally came out.

PHEW!!!!!!!!!!! Disaster averted :P

Unfortunately this gobbled up a fair chunk of Saturday and after a bit of time celebration our success, not much else got done on the Lotus that day.

During the week however I turned my attention to some other vital tasks.

As no mechanical speedo drive is available on the 01X gearbox the old Lotus speedo is pretty much useless, also the rev counter is a 4 cylinder unit and won't read right on the V8. So I decided to make up a new set of instruments.

I acquired on eBay an additional dash pod a few months back to allow me to make a start on the dash whilst still driving the car.

P1010117750x563.jpg

This one is off a slightly older car and back then Lotus used a fury covering which as now been named by Esprit owners as Muppet pelt. The pelt on this pod had faded to a manky green colour so needed recovering. The dash pod in the car is currently covered in black leather which while looking nice, is a real pain at night and in bright sunlight as you get reflections in your field of view due to the low rake of the windscreen, so I'll be putting on Alcantara to cut down reflections.

One dash pod without it's Muppet fur, cruel I know, but it had to be done.

P1010119750x563.jpg

I had a set of gauges made by Smiths and mounted them on an alloy backing panel.

P1010122750x563.jpg

Here they are fitted to the pod with new switch gear, I just need to cut the mountings for the heater controls.

IMG_0788750x562-1.jpg

The wiring on these things is a real nightmare to get off when fitted to the car, so to make thing a bit easier I have re-wired the pod with connectors to make dash removal and refitting much less hassle in the future.

IMG_0790750x562.jpg

Just waiting for some special trim parts to cover over the alloy backing plates and then I will fit the Alcantara covering.

Hilly

Andy,

Great job on the instrument cluster looks brilliant :P

I bet you put it on the breakfast table sit in front of it with a dinner

plate in both hands making broom broom sounds whislt leaning

in the tight bends at full speed :D

Chuffed you managed to save the calliper bracket, after all that

machine work it would of been devistating,

Great work as al :yes ways regards danny

A

great stuff ol bean... all looks great.

I wish I had your patience, skills and tools and perhaps my project would have turned out differently.. it's relatively straightforward compared to yours yet I've had quotes for completion ranging from 8.5-35K.. hope to complete sale shortly to a well known friend of espritforum..

I'm looking at a bike-engined or WMR kit type next... no more grand schemes for a while but if all goes well at least we'll all see my project completed.

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Really like the alloy instrument panel and love the neat and tidy wiring. Were did you get the connectors? Did you use ones off the car or buy new? If you used the ones off the car did you use the original connector pins or new? I'm asking as I am trying, admittedly not very hard, to get new pins for my indicator stalk connector.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Really like the alloy instrument panel and love the neat and tidy wiring. Were did you get the connectors? Did you use ones off the car or buy new? If you used the ones off the car did you use the original connector pins or new? I'm asking as I am trying, admittedly not very hard, to get new pins for my indicator stalk connector.

The alloy panel is only the backing, I have got something special in the pipeline for the final layer, watch this space

No, the connectors are not from the car, I got new ones as I could then buy what ever number of ways I needed to get all the connections in and out.

I used Tyco Mate-N-Lock series as thes come in a number of ways and have 15A current rating.

I have got a spare indicator stalk at home I'll have a look and see if I can track down the contact part number.

Hilly

Hilly your amazing, that instrument pod looks ace.

Picking up a mini pick up for my 10 year old tomorrow, long term restoration. The idea is to learn him to weld , spray, be a mechanic, become a project manager but most of all to learn that messing around with old cars is a bloody waste of money. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT ESPRIT ENGINED MINI PICK UP. as i know a man with a surplus engine. The guys that did that 2cv van are just down the road from me.

Hilly your amazing, that instrument pod looks ace.

Picking up a mini pick up for my 10 year old tomorrow, long term restoration. The idea is to learn him to weld , spray, be a mechanic, become a project manager but most of all to learn that messing around with old cars is a bloody waste of money. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT ESPRIT ENGINED MINI PICK UP. as i know a man with a surplus engine. The guys that did that 2cv van are just down the road from me.

Hmmmmm, interesting :thumbup:

I quite like the sound of that, it certainly wouldn't hang about.

I reckon you should go for it

Hilly