free hit
counters
Engine its OMG - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Wurzel

Engine its OMG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yep forgot to mention that. Deffo worth becoming a full forum member to get your 10% discount as well as the downloaded parts list which shows how/where everything goes together.

Buddsy

Your missing cam follower is the clue to your engine problems. The earlier ones are cast iron and over time they are prone to cracking and breaking up and causing massive damage.  That is what went wrong with my engine and resulted in a rebuild.

I am told that is not unusual for cam followers to break up and that they should be replaced with stainless ones whenever possible. You can get a set from Burton Power but they are fairly expensive but will not crack and break up. 

I think they were fitted to the S4 onwards

Certainly a cam follower breaking up is going to cause significant damage...but where are the remains??? How can a cam follower and shim disappear utterly; there's nowhere for it to go. It fits over the valve and spring assembly; bits of camfollower can't get into the cylinder....it can jam the camshaft, wedge the valve open, put all sort of shrapnel into the cam carrier and lubrication system....but it's not going to disappear. I think the cam follower has got lost in the cleaning process after dismantling!

Edited by molemot

Yes my thinking too molemot, I'm going to the workshop it was dismantled in at the weekend to pick up the gearbox so will have a good look around. Not going to hold my breath though. Also going to check the oil pump too does anyone recommend the best way to break it down and what to look for?

Ok the clean up and inspection begins.

2013-12-05155841_zps5b0f0b0b.jpg

A closer inspection inside the cam housing shows some impact damage, and happens to be where the missing cam follower is, Mmmm  no surprises there.

2013-12-07171804_zpsa8cb028e.jpg

Camfollowerdamage_zpsae855414.jpg

Pistons and liners, spoke to PNM (great guy by the way) it would seem they are all marked up as they should be a may be salvageable subject to measurements eeny meeny mineey mo?

2013-12-05155830_zps3478aead.jpg

those front two will end up being good paper weights.

Mmmm I think ill leave that to the professionals

Ok, what are everyone’s thoughts on this? Closer inspection of the block shows the liners (shoulder lip) is damaged/missing is that a show stopper?

ShoulderLipdamage4_zpsbe267735.jpg

ShoulderLipdamage2_zpsd7027a27.jpg

ShoulderLipdamage3_zps812a5073.jpg

Any Thoughts are welcome?

Well, it's only the seal between coolant (pressurised) and oil (atmospheric), so it's not a seal that's under as much load as say the head gasket. The sealing/ mating surfaces themselves appear to be OK, unless I didn't notice any damage, so what's damaged (missing) is a small amount of cast material in the region where some has to be cut away to give the mating surface at the correct height (to set liner nip). The missing material may be nothing to do with the damage that mucked up the pistons.

I'd say you'd be OK with that block but watch out for any other material that's in danger of coming loose and so ending up in the lubricant.

The damage in the cam carrier is not really a worry, reassuringly it's in line with the missing follower, rather than another one, so hopefully it was just the one that went bad.

Your block looks OK to me. Lots of cleaning up to be done, and the remains of the old sealant to be removed...it's tough stuff once it's set, being anaerobic it stays fluid until the oxygen is removed...by the liners fitting into the block and then the coolant surrounding the remainder. It took me quite a while before I was happy with the liner seats...but this matters more for getting the correct liner "nip" than for sealing; the shoulder sets the liner height and the sealing is done by the sealant between the liner spigot fitting into the block and the block itself. So you have to get the old sealant off the shoulder or the liner won't go fully home.

Looking at the damage to the cam carrier...one or two very minor marks. Had the follower broken up, I would expect to see loads of swarf all over the place, not just a few minor dots....

How many cylinders has your 2.2 Turbo got?????(!) Last time I saw pistons with that much damage, it was the World Control Line Model Aircraft championships at RAF Swinderby in 1960something, and a mad American called Bill Wisniewski had been running on tetra-nitro-methane.....melted a piston every run!! Any fuel spilt turned black in the sun....

I count 8 pistons but 7 liners, so perhaps a liner has disintegrated - even rarer model