free hit
counters
Another resto... - Page 10 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Wise choice Mike, sorry it ended this way but its for the best in the long run. Just  a pain that you have to strip the bits of the old shell. Getting the painted shell back in April sound cools though. :)

A

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Both door frames and window motors are now in. Doors are hanging well and the locks and latches are now all set up. That's a pain staking job. I also dismantled the wing mirrors in preparation fo

Uplighters and downlighters... Only downlighters... Cool

Can't get my wing mirrors to play ball! The drivers side works on only 3 solonoids so I get some movement and the passenger's side stopped working altogether as I was testing it! This brings me back t

Posted Images

Yep, good decision.  When I sold my Elite, the fact I'd completely rebuilt the chassis and overhauled the engine and gearbox rapidly got lost on people who instead fixated about the shell having had a nose job way back in the '80s.   If a job's worth doing.....

• Like 1
On 09/04/2016 at 18:56, Herc said:

Yep, good decision.  When I sold my Elite, the fact I'd completely rebuilt the chassis and overhauled the engine and gearbox rapidly got lost on people who instead fixated about the shell having had a nose job way back in the '80s.   If a job's worth doing.....

Hi Mike

Just looking at the photos of your shell before sending it for paint and I see you had taken the front off the heater air intake, any reason why, as I looked at mine and it looked like it was in place when originally painted by Lotus. I have stripped off all the black rubber not gone this far. I ask as I am sending mine in for paint next week.

Robert

The heater intake is only rivited on and removing it allows the body shop to paint the engine bay properly (to get to the bits that were originally painted) the heater intake was rivited on after paint after itself being painted in the body colour.

Your making much swifter progress on yours... Keep up the good work!

Mike, really sorry to hear about the awful setback with your shell! But I also think you made a wise decision to go for a new. It will be a great feeling when you have it delivered with its new paint!!

Mike,
Saw your 'new' body shell on Saturday, in fact MT used it to discuss a few points. He said that the panel directly between the tank and the seats was added after shell construction and that if that is the only issue then repair is OK and nothing to worry about.

He was really helpful on a number of issues, sadly in a bit of a rush as he was off racing but I came away happy with a new windscreen and a spare fuel cut off valve. Could have spent a lot longer looking around and I'm going to save up for the full jig6 (?) fuel pipe and fittings kit - at £400 ish I need to get over the windscreen first.

Best of luck with your respray. I quite like the original silver of your replacement shell but of course, Monaco White is the best choice :):) 

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

The difference in the shells was easy to see when I looked 'round the silver shell and then travelled with mike to see the original shell at the bodyshop and for longevity of finish it is the best option but now gives me a lot of work stripping the old body down. Now I'm fairly certain that mike is not one to give anything away - he is running a business after all - and so everything needs to come off the old shell now... Literally everything.

I could change the colour to gold now since any originality is out of the window...   But white it shall remain.

I am not sure how it would affect the future value, but probably not  a great deal as it will be a proper spray job and that itself adds a hell of a lot of value. It is your car and if you have the chance to change it i would and to be quite honest who would not, fair enough if it was the white bond car or an essex turbo etc i would say no way. But i have to say the metallics really suit the elites, i would love a silver one but after seeing Roberts gold one and other  bronze ones etc i would say go for it.

I think you may live to regret it if you do not especially now you have this golden opertunity :P

A

This your chance to spec up a brand new Lotus Elite!

Get a sales brochure with all the specifications and build the car you would have bought if you walked into the showroom with cash in 1978 B-)

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM

Mike, go for the Gold, it look's stunning on an Elite and with a fresh built chassis in White, everything will stand out and all will see the work that has been done.

GO FOR IT.

So I today I've removed the wiring loom, heater windscreen motor and all rivited on trim from so my old shell which is now completely bare... Ready for a chain saw or an ambitious buyer from ebay. I will be viewing the new shell in primer next week so expect more pictures then.

Good Work Mike, I hope it does sell on ebay, but i feel you may need to get the  chainsaw warmed up :cry:   Have you made a decision on the top coat yet or are you going to keep us all in suspense :P

A

Thats good news Mike, Maybe its heading to be put on the wall on top gears new series the ginger likes lotus :P Will save you some drama not having to cut up and take it down the tip not bloody light the body shells even in bits!  You need to let mike in on your secret plan then because people are always popping down lotusbits and the cat will be out of the bag on the colour :)

I need to go and see him when i get back and look forward to the emptying of  my wallet......:blush:

A

Now I'm sure I had a bid on the body but alas eBay tells me it's unsold. The chainsaw comes out at the weekend. Now, other than the roll bar is there any metal I should be wary of?

I will of course be posting pictures of interesting cross sections!

Bad news on the shell not going Mike,  But at least you will get a few minutes of crazy carmageddon with the chainsaw :P  But the most import thing we are waiting for is the colour choice.......  Or are you now leaving us in suspense until the grand unveiling when it returns home from the painters .......:)

i shall have to send a spy in :ph34r: as i cant wait any longer lol :P 

A

Popped over to the paint shop on my way home today, so thought I would post some photo's of the new shell still in it's original colour (albeit almost ready for primer which should be done by now since they were working until 8PM tonight on it)

I also picked up my new stainless bonnet frame which is a work of art. This needs to go over to the body shop tomorrow so some issues with the bonnet can be resolved so I might get some more photos in primer...

DSC_0199.JPGDSC_0200.JPGDSC_0202.JPGDSC_0203.JPGDSC_0205.JPGDSC_0206.JPG

• Like 2

Will you drill and bolt the shell to the front suspension legs after paint? I did mine before as I was worried about messing the paint about in the engine bay at a later date. Lotus bits told me I needed to take the paint off and sand back to gelcoat before I should paint which put me off a bit.

Robert