free hit
counters
Another resto... - Page 14 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Both door frames and window motors are now in. Doors are hanging well and the locks and latches are now all set up. That's a pain staking job. I also dismantled the wing mirrors in preparation fo

Uplighters and downlighters... Only downlighters... Cool

Can't get my wing mirrors to play ball! The drivers side works on only 3 solonoids so I get some movement and the passenger's side stopped working altogether as I was testing it! This brings me back t

Posted Images

New striker plates look lovely Mike, definatly worth replacing.  Did you have these made or does sjs or lotus bits sell them ?   I am suprized that non of these do a stainless steel restoration box set, at a reduced bulk price with all the problem areas covered, would make sense with the amount of people restoring these cars now instead of breaking them like they used too, :)

A

They were expensive to have made considering what they do. £50 each. Since I have two rear hatches I thought I would get them both refurb and try a sell one but I'm guessing the market won't be great. The spare rear hatch cost me £50, rechroming the hinges and getting the trim polished/replaced might cost a bit too so if my spare sells for £250 I might break even!

Trim makes the car in my eyes so any spent in that area will pay off in the long run on the overall finish of the car,its like when you see great paint finish on classic cars and then they re use the old cracked rubber screen seals etc.  I am sure someone on the forums will probably take your rear hatch of your hands at some point in the very near future by the amount of people restoring these cars now to a good standard. 

Chrome plating has always been expensive even back when i restored my triumph nearly 23 years ago it was pricey then, but then done properly i think they coat in copper first and then plate of memory ? 

Good luck with the rest of the build Mike and looking forward to seeing the finished result. :thumbup:

A

On 08/08/2016 at 21:52, Barrykearley said:

It really doesn't like paraffin, kerosene or diesel 

My samples taken from a bit of the rear screen, that I was able to remove, tells me that the stuff holding on the screen trim likes paraffin (or rather is doesn't not like it!). It also laughs in the face of kerosene which reminds me of a red dwarf episode...

Aerospace engineers discovered that, after a plane crash, the only thing that always survives intact is a cute little doll. They built Starbug out of the same stuff1280x1024Starbug.jpg

And the lotus elite!

So maybe acetone... the problem with this is 1) it's relatively expensive, 2) its high vapour pressure means it evaporates really quick which is not great for the environment and adds to the expense if it doesn't work fast!

Bean-e-doo might be the stuff if I can get some in the UK!

• Like 1
On 18/08/2016 at 13:51, silverfrost said:

Is your brother in law the actor who plays Cryton and presents scrap heap challenge Mike ?

Yep. I find it interesting when we visit to see how the other half live!

How cool Mike !   Love both Red Dwarf and scrap heap challenge,  Can well imagine what it is like to see how the other half live, he has had a very good acting career and must be worth a few pennys !  Fair play to him as he has given plenty of cracking entertainment to millions of people over the years to both petrol heads and sci fi fans alike. :respect:

Rumours had it they are doing another red dwarf series or is this all a pipe dream. ?  

A

They have filmed another two series that will be on Dave starting in September. We went to see one being filmed with MILFs (not at all what you would expect from that phrase but I can't say too much).

His view of the car was that it looked very old fashioned... not exactly a celebrity endorsement!

Anyway back to my rear screen... toluene has made some good progress on the rear screen trim removal.

3 hours ago, mikeeech said:

They have filmed another two series that will be on Dave starting in September. We went to see one being filmed with MILFs (not at all what you would expect from that phrase but I can't say too much).

His view of the car was that it looked very old fashioned... not exactly a celebrity endorsement!

Anyway back to my rear screen... toluene has made some good progress on the rear screen trim removal.

You had me at "filmed with MILFs". Relavent to my interests ;)

• Like 1

I guess the "LF" is Life Form in the same way that it was for GELF. Although it would appear that the Dave budget is rather smaller than the latter end of the BBC era, based on the Christmas special, it's only the set and effect that are pared back, it's still a great comedy so will be great to see your Brother-in-law back in that role. I really liked it when he did Scrapheap Challenge, something about the show premise seemed to ring a chord with Lotus ownership.

The wiring loom is now in which has enabled me to get the rear trim, seats and dash board in. Some odd wires to sort out and some other odds and ends to get done but it's really close to cranking now!

• Like 1

Good stuff Mike bet you can not wait to hear her purr for the first time.:thumbup: Its awesome when all the electrics start going back in and stuff starts to come back to life again.

• Like 1

A

• 2 weeks later...

So I brought stainless steel seatbelt mounting points from sj sports cars (in sill when fitted) was the description...

So

Image_20160910_173905.jpg

The other way up was no better!

Image_20160910_173948.jpg

So after a bit of bending I ended up with...

Image_20160910_174017.jpg

Now with earth and live feeds attached.

Image_20160910_174046.jpg

It would have been handy if they were supplied pre bent! Loads of bits have turned up from sj sportscars so nothing stopping progress except time!

Looking great Mike - a good reference as ever.  Were the cables originally within the sill? If not, how have you  fashioned them front and rear entry into sill (if you get my meaning?)

Having finished my 'new' job last week and with the kids returning to school on Monday, and the M-I-L installed, I'm finally hoping to focus some serious time and effort on to '666'. Also looking into doing a college course in auto-electrics which could be invaluable, given my pretty basic current level of understanding.

Cheers

Ant

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Nice work Mike,  Pity about the seabelt anchor points but at least they are fitted now. Did you give Steve a ring, seems strange to have to bend them yourself though. :ermm:  Also never knew the power leads ran down inside the side either, Another thing learnt about these whacky machines. :P  Are you going to add any more insulation behind the positive cable as if it was me i would cut a slide down a piece of heater matrix coolant pipe and and put it over the pos cable in the area of the anchor plate.  I only say this as just in case it vibrabes and rubs through the pos cable.  

Probably me been over cautious but that is what i would do imo. Really glad to see this car taking shape, must be nice to putting things back onto a fresh decent paint job rather than ripping it off  frale fiberglass.!  Bet it seems like years ago now since you stripped it.:thumbup:

Looking forward to the updates especially photos :)

A