free hit
counters
Another resto... - Page 15 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mikeeech

Another resto...

11 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Looking great Mike - a good reference as ever.  Were the cables originally within the sill? If not, how have you  fashioned them front and rear entry into sill (if you get my meaning?)

Having finished my 'new' job last week and with the kids returning to school on Monday, and the M-I-L installed, I'm finally hoping to focus some serious time and effort on to '666'. Also looking into doing a college course in auto-electrics which could be invaluable, given my pretty basic current level of understanding.

Cheers

Ant

Originally only the positive goes through the sill. There is a hole in the body over hang at the front and back. I have added a second cable to act as an earth which attaches to the steering column since alot of the dash electrics are earthed here and I figured a good earth here could only help.

4 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Nice work Mike,  Pity about the seabelt anchor points but at least they are fitted now. Did you give Steve a ring, seems strange to have to bend them yourself though. :ermm:  Also never knew the power leads ran down inside the side either, Another thing learnt about these whacky machines. :P  Are you going to add any more insulation behind the positive cable as if it was me i would cut a slide down a piece of heater matrix coolant pipe and and put it over the pos cable in the area of the anchor plate.  I only say this as just in case it vibrabes and rubs through the pos cable.  

No I didn't ring Steve to be fair on him. I might have ended up with mounting points for another car by some king of packing mistake. I was planning on making up my own with a sheet of steel so its not a big deal and the're better than what was there before which was precisely nothing!I might use some expanding foam to keep everything still since I think it might be tight in the sill cover now.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Good idea Mike on the custom earth lead Mike .:thumbup:   Fair play about the seatbelt anchor points as long as your happy that is all that matters.  Regarding the expanding foam it seems like a good idea, the turbo esprits have that foam inside not sure if its for noise reduction or to keep the shape.?  I pitty you if you ever have to get at those cables again as that commercial expanding foam sticks like s..t to a blanket. 

Word of warning though my farther is not the best DIY person, and managed to get hold of loads of these cans, he went mad with the stuff and went round his house putting holes in partition walls and sprayed this stuff in, he hoped it would aid house insulation.....  a while later mirrors that had been fixed to the plasterboard had cracked in half, plaster board on stud walls had buckled etc.  Just bare this in mind when using inside fiberglass panels. :blush: 

• Like 1

A

And don't get it on your hands !!!

Only here once

With the last of the good weather quickly running out I have been pushing on with the last of the jobs that I need to do outside before I turn my attention to the wiring. The drivers side cill is now on with the trim in place although I have had to order a 90deg drill to get the rivets in from underneath so not completely done.

The rear bumper and the near side cill have needed alot more work. The rear bumper has suffered in its life with cracks all the way through the fibre glass which I have ground out and repaired with fibre glass matt before filling from the top side. The bumper is now in primer ready for paint tomorrow.

The near side cill is is much worse state with the rear missing. I have constructed a new rear end from fibre glass with a bit more work still to do

Image_20161014_210722.jpg

my first fibre glass pack from eBay worked really well... My second, from a local motor factors has not worked out so well with the resin taking a very long time to go off.

I have also had to do some work on the rear hatch. When the car was resprayed I think paint has gathered in the channel that the hatch seal sits over and so doesn't stay put. Rather than dig the paint out, an easier way was to add fibre glass to the channel edge to make the channel deeper an thus keeping the repair under the hatch seal.

Image_20161014_210817.jpg

I might need to add more but wibutsee how this works out tomorrow.

Some other odd jobs done with the steering rack now secured at the body and a seal for between the brake servo and body made from rubber ready to get this bolted up.

More progress to report tomorrow

you've really been through it on this job - she's going to be a massive credit to you when finished!

Looking forward to an East of England Monaco White Elite meet up with you, me and Clivef38!!

Hoping my fuel bits arrive from LB tomorrow - Dave said they could take ages but it all came together really quickly in the end.

Good luck with your continued endeavours

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

At last my power steering drive belt is fitted! I have brought 5 belts for this...

The first came as a set from eBay. The alternator belt was ok but the power steering belt was too long.

The second came from ebay after I measured the distance but I got the width wrong so this would not fit.

The third came from lotusbits. This was slightly shorter than the first but again too long. 

My forth turned up today and was another ebay venture. This was close but the pump was at the end of its adjustment so...

Finally I cut one to size (770mm btw) and took a visit to an old world motor factors (halfords don't stock these item any more) and the guy behind the counter was able to match the length with one he had in stock.

My problem comes from the running gear from the original car being from a 520 eclat. Since my car is a 501 elite the power steering has been added later and the drive belt goes around the crankshaft and the power steering pump only. The manual shows the drive belt going around the water pump to the power steering.

Anyway finally this is altogether which has allowed me to assemble the water pipes at last and get the bonnet on for good.

I'll leave the brake servo and the rear bumper for another day!

• Like 1

One step forward, two steps back! I wanted to get my brakes working today. I fitted the new brake master cylinder I brought from lotus bits, removed the reservoir from the old master cylinder, cleaned it up a treat, got dot 5 brake fluid and an easy bleed kit... Just went to fit the reservoir to the new master cylinder to find it doesn't fit! God damn it! Now I need a master cylinder repair kit from sj sportscars or a new reservoir!

Things have progressed to a crawl now. Particularly with the winter now here!

Mike How difficult is it to take the sills off the vehicle.Mine is a '74 Elite which I intend to recommision shortly but I've never given the seatbelt anchorages much thought.Took them for granted.Good idea to run a separate earth to the main frame behind the facia panel.

😈

The cills were originally rivited on from underneath and screwed along the edge of the door. There are (or at least were on my car) bolts that secure into captive nuts at the front and back of the cill accessed from behind the b pillar and the footwell although mine were long gone.  

This may look like a random image of a pile of dirt on my garage floor but this all came out of one of my cills and contains the seatbelt mounts.

IMG_20141115_123331.jpg

• Like 1

To remove the cill covers and access the seatbelt mounts you need an electric drill (to drill out the rivets) and a wide chisel and hammer. Some Isopon P40 is also a good idea as they usually crack in the corners when you pull them off. They are held on with a mastic type solution as well as the rivets, so a cartridge of non permanant adhesive and a trigger gun is also a good idea.

Removal is straightforward, although be prepared for some alarming cracking noises when your levering it off.

I put mine back on with some draft excluder along the underside, this is what appears to have been done in the past - factory fitted? i'm not sure.

Well I've dismantled my original brake cylinder which was a bit pitted on the inside so I have now delivered it to www.pastparts.co.uk for a rebore and stainless insert.

How much is that costing Mike, if you don't mind me asking?

I've gone down the Landrover route which cost £37 - considerable less than options from SJs or LB. Only difference is the pipes exit on the opposite side but I'm planning to make up some adapter pipes so the original pipes can stay as they are.

An overhaul of my existing one would be a useful 'spare'.

Cheers

Ant

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

£117 for a rebore and repeating.. this compares to the £170 that I spent on brake master cylinder from lotus bits that doesn't fit my reservoir. If any one would like to buy it I'm open to offers!

So the sun today, coupled with a day off to get a new electricity meter fitted, has signaled the start of restoration season again. To be fair it might take some time to get the season into full swing.

Plenty of half finished jobs to do and not much money needs to be spent this year which is good. I think my approach may just be to get stuck into something to finish it off and see how it goes. 

I spent all day today in the sun sanding my rear bumper down again. In my rush to get it sprayed at the close of last season I used sand paper that was too coarse and was not happy with the scratches that showed through the paint so didn't fit it in the end and it has been proped up against a wall ever since.

Sanding it has revealed more cracks that I guess should be repaired before I respray it.

Brakes should be easy to do since I now have my refurbed master cylinder on and I just need to connect it to the manifold on the chassis although this proved sufficiently difficult in the cold that I left this unfinished too!

Wiring will be a weekend. Then the doors, rear hatch to do, wing mirrors to refurb and get the bases rechroming. In fact lots of odds and ends to rechrome... Then jobs a goodun

Watch this space. My first trip will be to the ace cafe on lotus night... I might just get there this year!

Awesome news Mike,   Yes its nice when you have got all the expensive stuff out of the way :thumbup:   Look forward to seeing the last jobs finished off and some fancy pictures of the finished article :)

A

Mike, good to hear you are back on the horse.

You are not too far away, we should have a case of beer to the the first man with an MOT!!! What are you going to do with your door window frames?

Robert

My frames are in pretty good nick so i will just repaint them but i will be changing the felt liners while they are off the car. The drivers side has been changed at some point in the past since it has a new-ish door beam. The electric wing mirrors will need the most work to get the doors on. I suspect the wing mirrors will have to go on before I put the door onto the bean so that access is easier. The wing mirror bases need rechroming and the function checked since these are 2nd hand parts to me! the joy stick in the old door card needs moving across to my new door card as well.  I think i am some months away from getting the doors on so I suspect you will win the bet!:P

• Like 1

Good weather again so have spent a few hours on the car. Spent most of Saturday afternoon fixing the cracks on the rear bumper by scoring out with a Stanley knife and filling with epoxy filler. Top coat today and time spent cleaning up my rear lights before refitting them and covering the bolts in copper grease. Finally got the rear bumper on after reattaching the hatch release lever before the cutting the new paint and fixing the number plate and voila

Image_20170409_181828.thumb.jpg.c614458f4f53f306e32ac1cafde4a9d7.jpg

The picture doesn't do it justice but it's good to see the back end almost complete. Spent the rest of the afternoon on rebuilding the near side cill with more glass fibre. The long weekend next week will hopefully see the engine turning over at least.

I connected the heater connected to the water system at long last today and filled the engine with water only to find it was emptying itself from a hole behind the water pump. Does anyone know what this is for? It looks like some kind on hold for a sender until for water temperature but i have nothing to put in it (ie nothing left over) and can't remember taking anything off here. 

Image_20170415_144938.thumb.jpg.a57163a29fb4abcc305c35d74cf9536c.jpg

Questions... What goes in here and what size thread is it?