free hit
counters
Another resto... - Page 18 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mikeeech

Another resto...

9 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Easy start works well but isn't the cheapest, Lynx deodorant is readily available, much cheaper, and works a treat, try it.

Smells nice too....:P

Does it make the girls come running as well!:lol:

• Haha 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've just check... I have Lynx Africa or lynx peace... Decisions decisions

An update.... IT RUNS!:animier::happydance:

The problem was the spark plugs which again came with the car. New spark plugs got it back firing through the carbs and an adjustment to the timing stopped this and got a reasonably smooth tick over. The exhaust was very leaky but the compound I put on the joints sealed them when it got warm.

The next step was to break out the timing gun... This was provided by my dad but was probably older than the car and looked feindishly difficult to work out the revs with some moving prisms doing the dirty work. Given the price of new ones I have binned this antique and have a new one on order. With no working rev counter yet, I need to set the idle speed with the timing light.

So as it stands at the moment there is a bit of rough running, this is either carbs or timing and should be easily resolved. I have a colour tune ready to go when my timing light turns up.

I have been trying to upload a video to YouTube to post here but not have had much luck so far but watch this space...

Obviously I think this is a huge milestone reached and now just leaves

1. the doors to go on 
  2. the wiring to be redone
  3. Wing mirrors sorted
  4. Carpets and boot trim
  5. Passenger's side cill cover to paint and fit
  6. Aerial to source and fit
  7. 4 wheel alignment and MOT

The wiring will take the time with a second flow lock valve to be located in the boot, rear hatch solonoid, Mazda headlight relays, solid state voltage regulator, new fuse box with blade fuses, boot aux power, usb connection in the cabin, better interior lights, and many more relays to provide safe power to the fans, electric windows, 150w headlights etc while rooting as much of the wiring through the inner wings to keep the engine bay tidy and bulkhead connectors rather than grommets for neatness! While I'm at it I can fit headlight delay relays warning buzzers etc etc.

• Like 1

from this...

to this - in a little over 4 years!

I don't think I will ever make my millions from my youtube videos... I have put my wife into a coma now she has watched it!:animier:

• Like 2

:animier::animier::animier::animier::animier::animier::animier::animier::animier:

Well done - Happy Easter. You must be well chuffed!

Can you do a thread about how you posted a youtube video please B-)

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

16 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

:animier::animier::animier::animier::animier::animier::animier::animier::animier:

Well done - Happy Easter. You must be well chuffed!

Can you do a thread about how you posted a youtube video please B-)

On youtube for the video you would like to post, press share, then copy link. Simply paste the link into your post here! Getting the video on YouTube in the first place was more of a challenge.

16 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

I am chuffed to bits. To have a running engine is a huge phycological step for me. The light at the end of the tunnel just got a lot brighter...

Edited by mikeeech
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2018 at 16:05, soldave said:

Bit of popping but that's some awesome work there. Well done!

Got the popping sort out with the help of a timing gun and colour tune... The timing gun had an advance/retard function so by process of elimination I have a spec 3 distributor that requires a 16deg advance at idle. I was surprised there was such a difference between them since they are firing the same engine. The rough running was idle mixture on two cylinders being so low as to not fire them! It sounds a lot better now. 

I won't be setting up the other mixture settings until I know the fans run or have a reliable temperature reading on the gauge.

The passenger side cill cover is now painted and ready for fitting so I guess I have to get the doors on now!

12 minutes ago, mikeeech said:

Got the popping sort out with the help of a timing gun and colour tune... The timing gun had an advance/retard function so by process of elimination I have a spec 3 distributor that requires a 16deg advance at idle. I was surprised there was such a difference between them since they are firing the same engine. The rough running was idle mixture on two cylinders being so low as to not fire them! It sounds a lot better now. 

Would you mind posting up a video of the idle? Won't be exciting at all to most but just want to see how mine compares :)

Being in the garage might make it a bit louder or I may still have a blowing exhaust!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mikeeech said:

Being in the garage might make it a bit louder or I may still have a blowing exhaust!

Thanks for posting. Sounds good!

Here's one for you, as I see you've got the cooling plate in there in front of the engine. Are you thinking you'll have to remove that to get a timing light in there to check ignition timing? My plate will only come out with the top hose off, but with the plate in there it looks like the only access I have to the marks on the timing belt might be from below.

The timing marks are visible with the deflector in place. The timing light I brought has an advance and retard setting which when set at the angle you need keeps the timing marks at tdc which makes it easier to see and I guess more accurate. It also had an rpm readout which was useful I. That you could put the pick up on any of the ht leads to determine if there was a spark!

I was not able to find out what the timing marks read although there are 4 graduations... I think they were 8, 16, 24 and 32 deg.

Gotcha. Yours might be in a slightly different position to mine then as I don't think I have line of sight to my timing markings from topside with the panel in plate.

Thanks for confirming.

Hanging the doors is a pain! The driver's side has been on and off more times than a brides nighty today!

Dumb question alert!

The 4 vacuum gauges on your carbs - what do they actually tell you? Are they going to be there permanently or just as you are setting things up?

Thanks - loving the progress

The holes were in the inlet manifold since a PO had hooked the light vacuum system to the manifold with a big bar across the top. You can see this in the before video of the engine running. I might block them off in time but they tell you that the cylinder is on an inlet stroke. The first video of the engine running shows that number 3 cylinder wasn't reaching the same kind of vacuum as the others and suggested that the carbs were out of balance. I found this with a colour tune and now they are much better. 

Playing around with them a bit more when I had the engine running showed that with the throttle bodies open as I reved the engine caused most of the vacuum in the manifold to be lost, I guess as more air was being drawn through the carbs the vacuum in the manifold wasn't sufficient to register on the gauge. 

To be honest they were £2 each from eBay and the holes were there. I shall let you know if they are useful in time!

This post is in two halves since I didn't want to confuse the photos... Hanging my door again today and everything came off since, overnight, I figured that the hinge pin shims needed adjusting to alter the height at the front of the door. This worked really well and got the door to fit ok but I needed some shims behind the lower hinge bracket to move the door out at the bottom and close the gap with the windscreen at the top.

All this got me to this at the front

DSC_0132.thumb.JPG.1ef4c38fb9e769f4718555494465df94.JPG

And this at the back

DSC_0131.thumb.JPG.b215a1d49b6c58609fe0977c40cf4e31.JPG

There is actually a gap at the back so I would say that it was a perfect fit but the front was too noticeable. The problem is how you loosen the hinge bolts move the door forward and then tighten them again without opening the door to spoil the alignment...!

Edited by mikeeech

I managed to get lucky in that, I slackened off all then bolts closed the door and shimmed it with a cut up plastic milk container, I the. Had to tighten the bolts from the inside only to hold the position. Luckily one bolt tightened enough to hold the door whilst the other 3 were no help at all. I could open the door and tighten up the remaining 3 bolts and that got me to this.

The front doesn't look a great deal different

DSC_0133.thumb.JPG.26924abaad808bfec1a5658fe323afe1.JPG

But more of a reasonable gap at the back.

DSC_0135.thumb.JPG.e16a000444a01371b05fe0caf8e0f38e.JPG

This is as far forward as the door will go as, when it opens, it only just missed the paint in the hollow on the a post.

1 full day on this to get to this but I can at least put the door latch mechanism on now, get the window frame in and the door seal!

Is the door skin pushed fully forward on the beam? That shut is too tight at the back. Not sure you'll get much front-aft movement at the hinge end. :) 

EDIT: posted before I saw youe second set of pictures. Looks better in the 2nd post. :) 

It's getting there......

I'm not really happy with the front gap. It could do with moving forward a mm or so more but I would have to remove paint in the A post area. It's as good as it will get I think.

Edited by mikeeech

A bit of an update. A trip to Lotusbits yesterday got my passenger side door beam bushes reamed to fit the new hinge pin so by the weekend the passenger's side door will be on. Whilst I was at Lotusbits Mike showed me at least 4 electric windows mirrors which, although expensive will sort my wing mirror problem so while the wifes away I will take another trip there tomorrow to get one since I had no idea if I already had a passenger side or driver side.

Other than a few other bits a bobs (Speedo cable drive attachment, check valve for brake servo, power steering fluid leak, cam belt tension adjustment to name but 4) the next biggest job is the wiring which I may well start next week but that's a whole other topic...

• Love 1

And as if by magic...................

From this:

mike1.jpg.97fd1aa5218992b3ec2178c8f465e551.jpg

mike2.jpg.38ddcb1e910585a5fd6ae052e3ea389b.jpg

To this:

mike3.thumb.jpg.6fc7da9944f920de4a381212c5ffb381.jpg

How easy was that?:P Top work Mike - she looks amazing

I have NO Elite envy WHATSOEVER!!

I now have a dilemma.....my wife informs me that  when mine is finished she can use it to go to work :angry: Looks like my restoration could drag on for a while yet!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

My wife says she is not going to get in it since it will break down and she doesn't want people looking at her... 

Isn't that what lotus ownership is all about:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1