free hit
counters
Another resto... - Page 9 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Uplighters and downlighters... Only downlighters... Cool

Both door frames and window motors are now in. Doors are hanging well and the locks and latches are now all set up. That's a pain staking job. I also dismantled the wing mirrors in preparation fo

Can't get my wing mirrors to play ball! The drivers side works on only 3 solonoids so I get some movement and the passenger's side stopped working altogether as I was testing it! This brings me back t

Posted Images

I was just re-reading this thread.  You mention re-torquing the head: I believe I'm right in saying that you can't without removing the cam carriers.  One less job to worry about.

A busy day today on the elite as the weather has warmed up. I stripped the body of all it's trim, bumpers etc ready for the respray and removed the passengers door to reveal the door frame on this side... Curiously I suspected my drivers door had not been off before since the door was held to the glass frame with rivits but found the door frame in pretty good nick.

The passenger side had clearly been off with lots of duct tape under the door card but then this in the bottom of the door...

DSC_0117.JPG.2ae1f91638fa3ed30fc87686153

Now that's what you call patina! 

A quick feel round the outside of the door frame and a closer examination of the door hinge made me think all was not well. After cutting the bolts that hold the frame to the door (all of these were rusted solid) the door frame came out really easily. For those that read my plea on help with the drivers door will remember that there was a rod fixed to the drivers side frame which couldn't come out of the door without cutting the fibre glass.

The passengers side was quite different in this regard with not much stopping the frame simply being lifted out. This made it really straight forward. 

Getting the door off revealed this.

DSC_0119.JPG.6b0af98afcab5ff2cb4af8a3eb3

And without the weight of the door the hinge is really stiff.

So I suspect the drivers side was repaired professionally at some point in the past (presumably with a new window frame) and the passengers side is 38 years old!

Next job will be to get the bonded windows out but I've not been able to find anyone to do it until the end of march so this gives me some Tim to get the passengers door frame sorted!

DSC_0099.JPG.f015d57fe50f9c462068507a92a

Hi Mike,

Looks like you (and the tin worm!) have been busy.

Was the 'lug' missing from the window frame on the passenger side? Why was it so much more straightforward to lift out - have you any photos of the P/S frame please.

Good luck

Cheers

Ant

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

18 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Hi Mike,

Looks like you (and the tin worm!) have been busy.

Was the 'lug' missing from the window frame on the passenger side? Why was it so much more straightforward to lift out - have you any photos of the P/S frame please.

Good luck

Cheers

Ant

So the lug on the drivers door looked like...

DSC_0122.JPG.75f511c7042035dbc25bf71898d

Fully circular in case the photo does not do it justice... The passengers door looked like...

DSC_0121.JPG.92f579b3a712ebd7b1edcb4205d

Semi circular by anybody's standard. Also the securing bolts ran through channels which were also strikingly different...

DSC_0125.JPG.802d2251f5c15ce0e137e125a21

The drivers side had circular locations while the passengers side had square sections. Two frames made at different times! This car is a real example of Theseus' paradox

Mike,

Cheers, good detail. Different times maybe but that still doesn't answer how the drivers door was assembled without the fibreglass being damaged!

Personally, I suspect a well engineered non lotus fix.

In terms of replacing the drivers side frame, just grind down the round lug to semi-circular and away you go. Have to question WHY they didn't just use flat bar to achieve the same effect?

Does the upside down 'V' created between the upright frame and the round section of the semicircle fit over a lip on the door beam, thus keeping it snug to the door beam?

When I get mine apart, this will be very helpful so I am very grateful for your efforts (and feel your pain :angry:)

Cheers

Ant

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

• 4 weeks later...

Got the car booked in for a respray at lotusbits. They are collecting on the 2nd of April. I have a few things to do this weekend therefore...

Remove drivers door beam and hinge

Remove windscreen and rear quarter glass

Remove dash

Remove wiring loom from engine bay

Remove brake servo

Remove bonnet frame

Remove final bits of trim

Remove heater inlet Panel

I have the best part of next week as holiday so things will move on somewhat at last with lots of running around getting trim refurbed, rad recored and new bonnet frame made and powder coated. I can't wait to see it on a trailer going to be sprayed... Keeping it white by the way!

Enjoy your week of Mike grafting on the Lotus and hope you get all your planned work on the car completed :)

Can not get over how bad that door beam has rusted  ...... :(

A

20 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Enjoy your week of Mike grafting on the Lotus and hope you get all your planned work on the car completed :)

Can not get over how bad that door beam has rusted  ...... :(

The door beam was in a bad way. With the door off a bit of weight on it would bend it downwards! Also without the weight of the door the hinge pins is immoveable. Needless to say I have now got a new beam from lotusbits and stainless hinge pins from sj...

Well, the windscreen and rear quarter windows are out. The removal process was fairly simple since they were still in using the original solbit(?) With electrical heater wire running through it... The windscreen was scrap since it had delaminated from the top so a replacement needed here in due course.:cry:

Getting the screen out enabled me to get the dash out. Since all my screws are well rusted it would have been impossible to remove the screen demist vents with the screen in since I had to drill the screws out! Everything is sooo rusty inside!

Thankfully the wiring loom is in pretty good shape and the heater pipes to the side vents on the dash board are still the original card type. More evidence of an unmessed with car prior to my ownership (if you exclude the two new chassis, new engine, new gearbox new rear diff etc etc.)

DSC_0164.JPG

You may just be able to make out three very small pipes to the right of the heater which I'm guessing has something to do with the pop up lamps since one end terminates in the passenger foot well (I have removed all the vacuum pods). A close up photo below. Can anyone confirm this?

DSC_0168.JPG

Now is there anything I should do while the dash is out???

I will post a photo tomorrow of the windscreen spacers since these are rivited to a metal strip which itself is rivited to the body. 

Good effort Mike,

They look terrible when the interior trim is out with all the wires hanging out.! But when you start fitting the newly trimmed bits back in you start to get that good feeling as the cabin starts to become a nicer place to be.:)  Maybe look at fitting a new heater matrix.? not sure how hard these are to get at when it is all back in, but when i did my dash on the esprit i did not change mine, something i regret as im pretty sure it will come back to bite me on the backside in the future.:blush:

Also not sure how your instrument binacles are on these cars when fitted but if it is like the esprits getting the guage panel out is a pain in the rear end, so maybe buy some nice block connectors that will simply unclip rather than pulling all the wires of the guages in the future and having to label them all.?

Pants news on the screen but lotusbits has some new ones i would of thought or maybe secondhand depending on our budget for the project.

Looking forward to future updates:)

A

Great effort, I remember mine looking like this and thinking bloody hell I'm never gunna get this all back in place. But it's not half as complicated as it looks just have to be methodical in putting it all back. What ever you do make sure heater fan is in good working order, check all the earth wires to the right hand side of the steering column and look for any broken or bad terminals. Wouldn't want to put it all back only to take it all out again cos you missed something now. 

Those small air pipes control the vacuum operated heater flaps I believe,  someone else can confirm? 

Vacuum operated heater flaps.... Gulp! I have removed all of my vacuum system... I was thinking of an mx5 heater matrix and blower!

Just spent this morning getting my brake servo off... What a pain in the arse job that is. Much easier now the dash is out, which required the windscreen to be removed. Finally got all of my pedal cables of and out of the engine bay with the engine bay wiring loom but all of the clevis pins were well corroded.

Last but by no means least is the remaining trim over the rear quarter windows... And perhaps the front wiper spindle although that's not budging!

• Like 1

OK... everything done ready for the respray including getting all the pop rivits out that hold the trim on so last photos of the car (with the exception of a photo of it on a trailer to come next week) before it comes back in shiney new Monarco white.

Thought this photo might interest a few; this is a metal strip that has the top windscreen trim clips riveted to it. the strip itself is then riveted to the body. You can see that the roof is in a bad way thanks to a dealer fitted of a vinyl roof (this will not be replaced).

DSC_0174.JPG

and finally the post strip down photo's.

DSC_0177_2.jpg

Some might have noticed that there is still a headlamp actuator switch in the near side pod... god damn it  - something I missed.

DSC_0175_2.jpg

DSC_0176.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG

Can't wait now to see it all shiney and new!

Great effort Mike, 

You must be proper excited about her getting new paint, is that the gel coat damaged on the roof ?  cant see close enough in the pictures. Always lovely to get a car back with fresh paint to boost your motivation, down side you have to so extra carefull not to damage it.:)

Looking forward to seeing her in her new war paint :)

A

Very excited about it... And looking forward to polishing it. Tragic. But all the bid bills will be out of the way with a lot of work ahead to get it running but it's is just time over the summer which will be fab.

I will be buying a roll of this stuff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111268654324?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

To protect the doors, bonnet, and edges of the engine bay.

My car got taken away this morning by the guys at lotusbits for its respray. By chance cbceclat (charlie) had just dropped by to pick up a dash clock since he is local to me and gave me a hand stripping of some of the bobbins for the lights etc that I missed. I couldn't get the wiper wheel box off so this got cut off with and angle grinder in the end. The heater will have to come out to replace this when it comes back but it will all work out in the end.

In the meantime I shall be stripping down my rear hatch,  spraying the bumpers and assembling the ancillaries on the engine ready for refitting. Happy days.

• Like 2

Glad its started it journey Mike and fair play to Charlie for giving you a hand with the last minute jobs. :) Its in safe hands now with mike and the guys and will look a million dollars when she comes back to you. I never forget the first car i had painted, my spitfire rolled it in to the paint booth in primer and left it with the painter, went to see it the next day and there she was gleaming under the booth lights, will never forget that feeling after doing the nut and bolt rebuild, proper happiness i could harldy speak i was gobsmacked. :)

Looking forward to pics on her return.:)

• Like 1

A

Just had a call from lotusbits. Seems my body is worse than most.... To the extent that Mike started talking about a spare body he has. :( perhaps my two respray quotes were closer than it first appeared...

That is pants news Mike, Lotusbits will be thinking of finish and prep and bill time to you, so although sad not to keep your own shell it may be well worth it in the grand scheme of things, surely an elite shell cant be all that expensive as it is one of the things hardest to shift after stripping a car for parts. ? 

If you end up with a better finish i would say this is the best option depending on cost, but it should still work out a hell of a lot cheaper than the other quotes you had even with the added cost of a used shell thrown in surely ?. :)

Having said that just looking back on your pictures you left the loom, pipes, tank etc in place and all this will need to be removed and fitted back on the shell plus the the chassis, so maybe endure the repairs to your shell, catch 22 situation. :cry:

Look forward to seeing which way you go on this Mike, good luck which ever path you choose !

A

If the bodyshell is duff in some way, I'd seriously consider a replacement.  Other than the DVLA orginality issue )which many people skate around quite easily given the fibreglass isn't, itself marked with a VIN number, only a stick-on plate AFAIK)  it makes sense given how cheap body shells are - essentially they go for next nothing.  

So I visited the body shop today to look at the shell and I've decided on a new shell. MT pointed out that some of the crazing on the near side rear quarter went all the way through and although this could be rectified, a new undamaged shell would look better for longer... He suspects a spin dinged the front and back at some point which has also split the seam at the front... Now that I have done a good sales job on it does anyone want a shell?

So once upon a time (sometime in the 1970s) many elites left the factory to begin their journey in the world only to all converge on my home address, none of which have the original license plate (kum 90v). As I was driving home from lotusbits I was just trying to figure out what did leave the dealer attached to this plate...

Steering column - tick<_<

Pedal box and heater - tick:ermm:

Fuel tank - tick:o

Door locks - tick (you'll notice how the parts are getting less significant):whistle:

Chassis plate - tick:wacko:

Windscreen motor (front only) - tick:huh:

Radiator - tick:no

Bumpers - tick:help:

Electric window motors... 

...yep that's about it! No seriously!:wallbash:

So the body shell comes back to me on Wednesday so I can get all the bits off then it's cut it up time. The car the comes back with good painted shell at the end of April.