free hit
counters
Car tax disc - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Car tax disc

jonwat

Its actually worse than I thought - the buyer has to backdate the tax to the beginning of the month FFS! So I was wrong, the pro rata excuse applies to both seller and buyer. 

I read somewhere that a campaign has started to fix this anomaly/stealth tax. Ah, found it - a No 10 Petition is up and running. It needs 100k signatures before it can be debated in the House. It has 12 so far, including mine.....

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/68471

So let's see democracy in action folks. Get signing! And tell your mates.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

How long will the bickie stay fresh, and how do you get the crumbs out !!!, I guess you could never stick a chocolate bickie in there.

In my youth beer mats were a cheap alternative to tax discs.

On a more serious note - I live in a very rural area where I doubt the ANPR cameras will ever reach so I would expect quite a few yokels may not be going to bother with tax or insurance in the future - Up until now the villagers have had the opportunity of seeing a cars tax disc so...

As a question - is there a free way of checking another persons car tax / insurance online (we have at least one idiot on the lane I am waiting to rear end my tractor one of these days - he's not young either)? 

I know this is of little impact to people and certainly isn't what the changes are about, but as far as I can see the new situation with regards tax not being transferable presents some significant issues for Manx residents buying UK cars.  Given the tax doesn't remain on a used car Manx residence can't drive a car to the Isle of Man immediately after purchase and then process the documentation through the post following import testing etc. 

I personally have bought most of my cars in the UK as you have a better scope of choice etc.  The situation is not good.

The only way I can see it working is if you use a transporter to bring the car back, thats going to be expensive if you don't have access to one and will also be costly on the ferry.  UK cars have suddenly got very expensive.

This is sadly even more relevant for Lotus owners and other uncommon marques were availability on island is basically zero.

btw, if anyone has a Lotus tax disc holder they don't need, send it my way, I need one!!

:-)

• Gold FFM

As a question - is there a free way of checking another persons car tax / insurance online (we have at least one idiot on the lane I am waiting to rear end my tractor one of these days - he's not young either)? 

You can check the tax and MOT status of any vehicle on the DVLA site, all you need to know is the registration and make.

I recently went through the process of untaxing and taxing a car. It was quite simple online to tax the new car if you have the relevant V5 document. For the old car, when the completed V5 with the change of ownership part completed is received by the DVLA they refund you the remaining tax.

So when I sold my old car 3 days in to October I lost the whole month's tax, 28 days worth. Then I taxed the bought car and paid for October again, and the not so publicised, they have put the tax up £5. Incidentally, the Esprit is now £230 for the year, or £241.50 if paid by 12 months direct debit which includes a 5% charge for the privilege. Nah, they're not making much money out of this at all :rolleyes:.

Signature not working...

You can find about insurance on here...

http://www.askmid.com/

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 4 weeks later...

This system doesn't work.  If you buy a second hand car at the moment, you cannot drive the car away until you have paid car tax.  Once you have be given the V5, you cannot obtain car tax over the phone at the DVLA, you need to go to a post office and buy it there.  So anyone buying a car that is not near a post office will not legally be allowed to drive the car away.  Obviously there will be a large number of people that are not near a post office and will drive the car away illegally.  I recon over the next few months the DVLA will be inundated with complaints about this.

What retard came up with this idea.  They need to have a grace period for you to buy a licence or buy one over the phone.  At the moment the system is bollocks.

Didn't realise that. Sounds a bit shit.

In other news, I found myself on LEW yesterday and it seems Kato has a stash of tax disc holders and he doesn't know what to do with them.

I've an idea which has been thought up and been received well with the MR2 boys...

One for you Bibs maybe. Some celebratory life cycle of the Esprit tax discs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-30-years-of-the-MR2-Tax-disc-replacement-sticker-/201200205853?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item2ed877801d

• Like 2

Chunky Lover

Didn't realise that. Sounds a bit shit.

In other news, I found myself on LEW yesterday and it seems Kato has a stash of tax disc holders and he doesn't know what to do with them.

I've an idea which has been thought up and been received well with the MR2 boys...

One for you Bibs maybe. Some celebratory life cycle of the Esprit tax discs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-30-years-of-the-MR2-Tax-disc-replacement-sticker-/201200205853?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item2ed877801d

:thumbsup:

A good idea, the "tax disc" celebration...I'd take one for the Esprit, for sure. When the current one runs out next year.....or I could rotate the old ones again, starting from 1988......(!) I certainly would not want to try to get the aluminium tax disc holder off the screen....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Guest Mutley00

This system doesn't work.  If you buy a second hand car at the moment, you cannot drive the car away until you have paid car tax.  Once you have be given the V5, you cannot obtain car tax over the phone at the DVLA, you need to go to a post office and buy it there.  So anyone buying a car that is not near a post office will not legally be allowed to drive the car away.  Obviously there will be a large number of people that are not near a post office and will drive the car away illegally.  I recon over the next few months the DVLA will be inundated with complaints about this.

What retard came up with this idea.  They need to have a grace period for you to buy a licence or buy one over the phone.  At the moment the system is bollocks.

Mark, You can Tax it on-line immediately, but you must quote the Doc. Ref. No. in section 10 / V5C/2 / New keeper's details section of the log book. This is a digit longer than the Document Reference Number on the front of the V5C which wont work. I did this 2 weeks ago and it worked fine

Puzzlingly - today, I SORN'd both our Elises on-line on the DVLA site. Their Tax expires on 30 Apr 2015. The acknowledgement I got back stated they were SORN'd with effect from 1st October? Whether my refund monies includes October or not I'll keep you advised on!

Mark, You can Tax it on-line immediately, but you must quote the Doc. Ref. No. in section 10 / V5C/2 / New keeper's details section of the log book. This is a digit longer than the Document Reference Number on the front of the V5C which wont work. I did this 2 weeks ago and it worked fine

I did that and it didn't work, they said if you are a new keeper you needs to go the post office.