free hit
counters
End of an Era - Evora sold! - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

End of an Era - Evora sold!

Justin182

Update time!

Thought I'd post a few thoughts now I'm 6 months in with the Vantage.

@aurouge - apologies I missed your question.

Being completely honest I'm still not really bonding with the Vantage. The sound it makes is wonderful, the interior is lovely, it looks stunning, but I just don't get excited about driving it. No idea why!

£500 tax disc also didn't help!

22mpg average over a few thousand miles.

Handbrake is a pain to use.

I've spotted a Sport Racer I like the look of, just need to work out if I can justify the hit I'll need to take...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Somehow that is what I was expecting. I've seen quite a few AM owners and, honestly, I could rarely imagine them really getting on to the Evora. The whole style and art of driving is different, much more a cruiser than a true sports car. So, if you really liked driving the Evora I can imagine the AM as being bland.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

It sounds like our Boxster. It's lovely but I honestly couldn't care less if I never drove it again.

Don't forget that a Sports Racer based on the S and manual will have the same tax and mpg.

Edited by Frimley111R

I've almost been hung drawn and quartered when I've suggested the Evora is a better drive than the AM V8V. Don't get me wrong I think it's a beautiful car, in fact probably one of THE best looking cars ever. I've heard stories about poor build quality from a few owners but all the ones I tried seemed very well put together. They sound sublime but even my wife said the Evora was more fun to drive.

Perhaps if I'd never had a Lotus I wouldn't feel like this.

It's a similar thing with the current Cayman / Boxster. They are faultless, they drive fantastic, are practical and well built but I just cannot get excited about them.

Update time!

Thought I'd post a few thoughts now I'm 6 months in with the Vantage.

@aurouge - apologies I missed your question.

Being completely honest I'm still not really bonding with the Vantage. The sound it makes is wonderful, the interior is lovely, it looks stunning, but I just don't get excited about driving it. No idea why!

£500 tax disc also didn't help!

22mpg average over a few thousand miles.

Handbrake is a pain to use.

I've spotted a Sport Racer I like the look of, just need to work out if I can justify the hit I'll need to take...

This is quite a statement. I think its because you simply like driving. The Aston is v special but a bit heavy and too much of a GT than a sports car..

Do it, whatever you spend extra will be worth it. Evora's depreciation is almost zero. In fact whilst you've been away have actually appreciated at the lower end! ;-)

Just before I bought my Evora last month, I was offered my friend's Vantage, who used to be a member on here. It was a really sorted low mileage model in black and sounded great. Immediately when I went out in it, I decided that it wasn't the car for me. I think mainly because I would have had toe part with my Esprit as it wasn't fair that I had two 2 seater cars when I have a family.

The other thing that went the Evora way was that I am a huge Lotus fan, loved the styling and handling, lighter and this does show when you are driving even at low speeds. The icing on the cake was the low running costs I only found out after purchase, it is a little over £300 fully comp protected NCB, business use etc for 11K miles per annum. Servicing I can get done at my friend's Lotus independent and tax was half the other cars I was looking at. Then there's the MPG which was much better than the others.

Even if these latter items were the same, I think I made the right decision buying the Evora. When I pass a Vantage, of which there are quite a few by me, I always smile to myself and give my Evora a gentle tap on top of the dash.

Only you can decide on which car is right for you and everyone is different. You are fortunate that you have owned both and know what they are like to live with. Most people only have a 10 minute test drive to decide their fate.

Regards,

David 

Don't get mw wrong, the Vantage is an absolutely lovely car to own. It's just not much fun to drive. I'm going to have a think over it for a week.

I lost a lot of money on my Chrome Orange Evora, and that is the main sticking point for me, the Vantage shouldn't depreciate nearly as much.

I'm 50/50 at the moment.

I really miss the lotus community, track days etc

It took me a while to get my head around the Evora after so many years in Elise's but I'm a huge fan of the car now. I still look around from time to time though, Vantages have always been on the radar, likewise a nice 355 would fit in the garage nicely. The thing is the Evora's so easy to live with yet it feels special, it's fun to drive, great service from B&C too makes ownership a joy. Not sure I'd want to swap out to another marque or an older car with all the potential for grief. However...

My 'S' will be 2 years old soon and I'll be looking to change it in the next year... maybe Lotus will have something to tempt me with by then? 

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

It took me a while to get my head around the Evora after so many years in Elise's but I'm a huge fan of the car now. I still look around from time to time though, Vantages have always been on the radar, likewise a nice 355 would fit in the garage nicely. The thing is the Evora's so easy to live with yet it feels special, it's fun to drive, great service from B&C too makes ownership a joy. Not sure I'd want to swap out to another marque or an older car with all the potential for grief. However...

My 'S' will be 2 years old soon and I'll be looking to change it in the next year... maybe Lotus will have something to tempt me with by then? 

The Exige V6 cup is the only thing that will tempt me in a year or 2 once the kids can no longer get in the back of the Evora.

I do a lot of hooing with guys driving everything from 911, GTR, Focus RS, Lotus, Impreza, Renaultsport Meganes etc and I hardly ever seen anyone in an AM. I wonder if that says a lot about they type of drive they provide (not that I ever see another Evora but that's a different reason!)

Yeah I bought my Evora new, sold after three years.. Took what felt like a big hit!

ouch feel your pain there. They did take a big drop form new but are steady now. I don't think you would lose much on a £40K MY12 car.

I know Craig / Brandon can be pretty creative when it comes to sourcing cars....might be a option to give them a call and see what arrives in the showroom.

Not that i'd know anything about that sort of thing.......oh no.....not me....    :thumbsup:

Can't help feeling that I'm not old enough to buy an Aston. V12 Vantage is fun and stupidly fast, but still lacks the raw enjoyment you get from an Evora. Horses for courses though, and there is a little bit of Lotus DNA in every Aston that comes out of Gaydon.

I know Craig / Brandon can be pretty creative when it comes to sourcing cars....might be a option to give them a call and see what arrives in the showroom.

Not that i'd know anything about that sort of thing.......oh no.....not me....    :thumbsup:

No news yet? There's a few been and gone but none your way yet?

Hi Justin.  Were you at Speedfest on Sunday?  If so why didn't you come and say hello?  

Interesting to read your update.  You have done what about 2 or 3 other Ex. Evora owners have done or said when it has to be one or the other rather than both.  Well we both discussed R8's in the past and if you were there or have seen my post you will see I did the pursuit this year and was up against an R8.  I beat it by a fair margin after 4 laps although most of that was 1st lap familiarity it has to be said, as I'd done the pax rides earlier.  Now I'm in the "do I want an R8 sometime" quandary  although it may still have to be an itch scratched!  However if I do go down that route it will be after finding a Lotus of some sort for the garage as well for the community spirit that you talk about missing.

Come out to The Fennel this weekend and say hello again.  Look for that post in LEGS section.  At least you can go early and be part of the V8 Breakfast Club as well.

Al.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Hi Al,

Unfortunately I couldn't make Speedfest this weekend, was sunning it up in Miami!

I might well pop out for breakfast on Sunday actually.. Will try and find you if I do!

Evora wise, I have had a good think and don't think I can justify the double hit in depreciation after only 6 months. I'm sure the car will sell quickly and I'll be annoyed I missed it when the new owner posts pictures!