free hit
counters
End of an Era - Evora sold! - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Justin182

End of an Era - Evora sold!

End of an Era.

Well I've finally waved goodbye to my beloved Evora. After 3.5 years, 20k miles, 4 trackdays and a Euro jaunt, she's gone :( just a quick note to say thanks to everyone for all their help over these times :D

I've been hunting around for a replacement for a while now, and was very close to buying an F Type, but the boot was just too small, sounds petty but it would frustrate the life out of me. I've gone down the Aston route, and bought a V8 Vantage! Here she is

DSC_0044_zps76be37a7.jpg

I was very seriously considering an Evora S but couldn't justify the cost to change for what is essentially the same car. I'll be back in a Lotus some day!

I'll copy and paste my initial thoughts on the Vantage for anyone that might be interested.

ETA

Initial thoughts - absolutely stunning car in the metal. It looks understated next to the Orange, but still has plenty of purpose. Great proportions. Big presence aswell. Looks great from all angles. Surprisingly compact at the same time.

Interior - fantastic. Beautiful place to sit, the quality and materials are stunning. I feel a bit out of place haha! The premium stereo is excellent, although very bassy? Pedals are significantly off Centre compared to the Evora (which was left) Vantage on the right. No big issue, although the clutch pedal is in the same place as the Evora's brake.. Lots of luggage space which is a must have for me. The dials are a work of art, especially when lit up. Although they are quite difficult to read when on the move. The handbrake will take some getting used to..

Drive - first of all the sound is phenomenal from the outside. Surprisingly quiet from the inside. We roll out the car park and onto a 40mph DC. Nice weight to the steering which is a pleasant surprise, it's no Lotus, but it's still very nice. It feels very planted, very solid. The clutch is heavy in comparison, and the wheel is big, although nice to hold. The seat adjustment is superb. Will take me a while to find my comfy point. It's difficult not to compare it to the Evora, and put simply its no where near as chuckable round the roundabouts. But that's to be expected. Onto a motorway and the torque is massive. Lots of shove from low down. Very quiet, I can imagine it would be great for long distances. Fuse 22 was in place. I liked the quiet nature of it, but think the temptation to remove F22 would get the better of me. It feels subdued with its slower throttle response, and slower steering. Not in a bad way, just different. It's a much better cruiser. Again in 6th, plenty of torque to waft along with. Lovely.

Ride - I've just done 150 miles in it and surprised how compliant it is. Its not as 'magic carpet' as the Evora, but its very near. It is significantly better than I thought it would be. It is a real brute, but very relaxing at the same time. Doesn't feel like much body roll, but I didn't push it much today.

Overall, I'm extremely chuffed with it. I did worry when we shook hands that I would regret it. I will miss the Lotus for sure, but I'm looking forward to getting to know the Vantage.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Congrats Justin, Vantage was a fine choice.

I had one briefly. Magnificent cars. Enjoy!

Very nice.

Always fun to change cars. The hunt being half the fun!

That interior is almost unbeatable, the soundtrack not dissimilar to an American muscle car ;-)

Aston as a replacement to the Evora.. Says a lot about both cars.

Congratulations and enjoy :-)

Edited by auRouge

Its a nice change for sure.  I am still wondering if I have done the right thing (selling the Evora, not buying the Vantage), however I was constantly on the hunt for a change so feel I needed to try something different.  

My driveway is certainly not as bright any more!  :(

The only car I could imagine as a replacement for the Evora is a McLaren MPC4-12, but that would be beyond my means.

An Aston Martin? Never! Maybe after I retire, in a century or so.

Edited by TBD

hmmmm - hope you enjoy it........(but not too much :-) and be back in an EvoraS...within a year...)

@@au Rouge - in eyes there is a great joy in having a car for a long ti´me, sharing a lot of experiences with it, getting old together is nice in a way, but just my 2p of course

hmmmm - hope you enjoy it........(but not too much :-) and be back in an EvoraS...within a year...)

@@au Rouge - in eyes there is a great joy in having a car for a long ti´me, sharing a lot of experiences with it, getting old together is nice in a way, but just my 2p of course

Snoopy1969 - I use her everyday and have covered 5000 miles so far. Truly unique experience. I'm coming up to 17k miles now and the car has never felt better, barely run in I know.

Trip down through France pencilled in for next summer.. No plans to let this one go for a long time...

Justin - It will be VERY interesting to see how you feel about the change in a year or so.. stay in touch and update us.. Can an Evora be more fulfilling than an Aston Martin :-0???

I would have loved a 12C, miles out of budget though!

Justin - It will be VERY interesting to see how you feel about the change in a year or so.. stay in touch and update us.. Can an Evora be more fulfilling than an Aston Martin :-0???

Possibly the most important question right there. The current thought is no, I don't think it will. The great thing about the Evora was its all round ability at everything (I picked a 6'5 Christmas tree up in mine last week!). Saying that, the Aston was a car I just had to try. it's going to be a different experience for sure.

I'll keep this thread updated, for now, a few notes after 250 miles -

20mpg at best, I think I'll average just under that. Big tank!

Interior is the best I've been in.

After tweaking the audio settings, the sound is excellent.

Fuse 22 removed, although its still quiet inside compared to the Evora. need to hear it from the outside. Beautiful note though.

I am missing my reverse camera, it's difficult to judge the size of the car.

It feels big, but in reality isnt much bigger than the Evora.

Very well built, feels solid. Nice steering weight, and wheel size.

Alloys are a PITA to clean

Attracts a lot of attention, surprising amount considering its colour.

Handbrake being on the right is strange!

Few new pics

DSC_0424_zpsf1e5cc07.jpg

DSC_0429_zps07394b56.jpg

DSC_0432_zps096ccc07.jpg

DSC_0413_zps62959866.jpg

DSC_0405_zpsb2c69040.jpg

DSC_0409_zps35d0da70.jpg

DSC_0416_zps54862204.jpg

A proper Gentleman's Express, they look lovely and you simply can't beat the AM badge :B)

I'd still rather have an Evora though :D

Nice car, fantastic presence! AM builds the best looking cars, period.

I will stick to the Evora for another year. Will get the exhaust mod and black interior and a baffled oil pan Ina. Few days, which will hopefully keep me exited enough throughout the year. What frustrates me is the latest letter from Hethel which was not about a new fantastic car but about another oil line recall (3rd or so), this time SC to motor.

Also think about a replacement in the future, V8 probably the way to go as long as such engines are available. Baby McLaren, AM, but the new Corvette Z06 are on the cards. Price is probably in favour of the Vette.

But the engine is in the wrong place! There is one parked in the garage next to mine and in comparisson it just looks fat.

Edited by TBD

I agree on Thomas point relating the position of the engine totally - last car with a front engine which gave me a special impression was a TVR Sagaris of a friend in which I enjoyed a pax ride - coming back to the first pic with the Evora next to the AM: sure the AM is a nice car but not that unique as an Evora - I guess you will be bored by the AM sooner or later..of cause a matter of personal taste, just my 2p

Bored already!

My Evora has sold aswell, that was quick!

I think the Aston is a much better looking car, it's proportions are just about perfect, although it doesn't stand out nearly as much as the Evora.

Although I think if the colours were swapped, there would be no comparison..

If I'm hearing correctly the Evora Demo at MMC has gone as well.  A good start to the year for them!.

Em, yes and no. I'm missing the Evora, but when I had it I was itching for a change.

The Vantage is great, but I've not quite bonded with it as much as I thought I would. It's maybe been the weather, I've not had much chance to really open it up.

One thing is for sure, it's definitely not as exciting to drive as the Evora. I think my problem with it is, it's just very different. I would have seriously considered another Evora if there was a deal to be done, but I didn't get the impression there was.

To be fair, the weather has been pretty awful since you bought it. It's hard to enjoy any car at the moment unless it's amphibious!

Ha ha! That V8 is cool. Plan an intercontinental trip down to Tuscany and become friends with her!!

I'm driving round in Bell & Colvill's Pug 208 courtesy car while my car has it's annual service, a lot to be said for small runabouts!

Driving another car reinvigorates my memories of the first time I drove an Evora in Surrey last winter. The way it glides over bumps and rough B roads... Struggling to think of any performance car that could do it better apart from a 458 which sets a new standard altogether. Had a ride in a 991 as a passenger a few weeks ago, the Lotus IMO feels better.

This quality is something JC (TopGear) complimented the Evora on, when they market the car in the future this should be highlighted more.

I suspect the looks of a Lotus and it's past persona make it look impractical and unusable as a daily car... This is a major reason I think people just play it safe and buy a Porsche Cayman or 911. When I announced it to a few mates they automatically asked what I would use everyday! I'm a thirty something with a wife and two kids.. Trust me it works.

The message that it can be used everyday needs to be clear and IMO is one of the biggest reasons Lotus hasn't shifted more of these cars. The Evora isn't perfect but for the £50-70k bracket is a brilliant car. You can keep your ubiquitous M3's, Cayman's (apart from the R, that's a great car) and older 911's thank you very much!

If "Bloggs" was given the opportunity to drive an Evora S and then a Cayman S (Previous shape) I wonder which they'd prefer to drive? I did this very comparison and the Evora was a clear winner.

Just my 2 pennies worth!

Cheers A ;-)

Apologies, should have put that blabber on "Is the Evora still rare"! More relevant there, I do get carried away sometimes!! didn't mean to go too off topic... This is about the End of your Evora and not why I'm frustrated that every petrolhead in the UK should be buying a Lotus Evora!

Can you ever see yourself buying a secondhand an Evora S Sports Racer if the price were right to replace the Aston?