free hit
counters
Vibration curing input for the Evora S IPS - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Vibration curing input for the Evora S IPS

After having driven around 14'000 miles with the Evora S some vibration came in by accellerating in  5th and 6th gear. 

Went to the dealer, replaced tyres, replaced wheels, had the car 2 weeks at the dealer to check all parts in the back. Nothing. Still vibrations, not heavy, but permanent.

Passed by another dealer stating my problem. He then found out, that the last 2 softwareupgrades for the IPS where not loaded (version D and E), did that... and the whole vibrations are gone. 

So incase somebody has the same: dont buy new tires, dont change wheels, just check out the updates... and save money.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How would a software upgrade rectify a vibration issue?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad your car is all tickety-boo, I just don't see how it would happen?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Likewise, I'd be really curious to know what aspect of the missing software upgrade was causing the vibration.  I work in software so am not surprised that you can mess up the handling with dodgy code!

I've been convinced for the last few weeks that the newly-twitchy rear end on my Evora is due to poor coding of the traction control software rather than damp leaves and the "software" holding the wheel ;)

I have no idea, how this worked. But it did. And after all the running I had and the expenses for new tires, fixing, retrying again, refix, new wheels and so on, I really was surprised that the updated had such an effect. 

Anyhow: the vibration was only in 5th and 6th gear. The longer the car run, the lower the speed it was feelable. 

So when engine was hot, it started by 70km/h going up to 85km/h. It was a shaking throu the whole backside of the car. A roaring came throu. By constant driving at 120 km/h it was felt throu the driver sear permanently. Like something is not turning round and generates an inbalance. I have to state, that the upgrade came form Level C to Level E. (2steps)

Likewise, I'd be really curious to know what aspect of the missing software upgrade was causing the vibration.  I work in software so am not surprised that you can mess up the handling with dodgy code!

I've been convinced for the last few weeks that the newly-twitchy rear end on my Evora is due to poor coding of the traction control software rather than damp leaves and the "software" holding the wheel ;)

I'd understand more that 'having' a software upgrade could change something and introduce an issue, but NOT having an upgrade shouldn't cause problems if the problem isn't there before the software isn't upgraded!  

Its probably the reaction of the software to the damp leaves. The s/w has to not only detect the grip levels, but also respond accordingly under all situations. So, if the programmed reaction to "damp leaves" was somehow inconsistent (be it due to temperature, moisture level, tire wear, or any of the other myriad of possible influences) then it may well overreact and give a twitchy feel.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower!