Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 crying for help! - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 crying for help!

Do you remember the VW commercial.....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zsgPGMrouE8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DzsgPGMrouE8#

I have been watching a S2 which came up for sale, it has been on and off for months and always made me think of that superb advert!

Some things are best left alone!

Well enough was enough so I have decided to save it and boy does it need saving ......

post-10978-0-61459900-1387103076.jpg

post-10978-0-99596500-1387103126.jpg

post-10978-0-17449200-1387103153.jpg

post-10978-0-26976500-1387103171.jpg

The car is complete but the pictures tell a 1000 words, why do people do it to such beautiful cars, this is not as bad as the car I broke for parts as mechanically seems ok, glad I had the sense to get it trailered as when I started her up fuel was leaking from the carbs on to the dizzy and we all know how that ends up!!!!

Yes the interior will get help!

First job is rebuild the carbs and check belts, hoses and everything else hidden.

The car will be getting black bumpers, sills, spoiler, mirrors, ears, metalwork which has been colour coded etc.

Wheels are split rims, hunting for Speedlines but will give these a make over in the mean time as great condition under the muck.

Dave

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks guys, I will keep the post updated and plan to get some close up pics of the bad areas this week, the pictures above don't really give a true reflection of the problem areas.

Bit of an impulse buy as the Élan sold and didn't want the money going in the bank and getting wasted as may be needed later next year.

I could see potential and with S2 prices on the up figured a light winter project would be ok, the S1 is now held awaiting the bodywork although I am setting up to run the engine over Xmas.

I had some pretty expensive quotes for paint, earliest the bodyshop can take it is February next year, they want it for 6 to 8 weeks too. So I have until April to make good progress on the S2 hence my decision to save the poor old thing. It will be helpful when doing the final S1 build for reference purposes like cable routes and some wiring help. Also need to borrow the ignition as missing the back of mine.

I have written to the DVLA to get the previous keeper information which should be interesting as had 13 owners! Not sure if red originally although don't plan to repaint due to the costs but never say never!

Removed the carbs today, the carb to manifold sealing rings were totally knackered, this car really was a time bomb waiting to go up in flames, the wiring in the engine bay is also a total mess.

post-10978-0-05591800-1387310357.jpg

Carbs are free to operate but both diaphragms have been leaking, amazing it ran so well!

post-10978-0-77260100-1387310392.jpg

The sealing rings were all flat and clearly leaking

post-10978-0-61807300-1387310414.jpg

Going to send all the carb metalwork to get plated, put the carbs in a sonic bath and rebuild with new seals, think I will degrease the engine and sort the wiring, change perished hoses and rotten clips. Fuel filter looks very old and dirty which now makes me worried about the tank condition?

Buddsy, you were a big influence in the decision to buy mate, it kept nagging at me and good job as the owner was happy to have it driven away with its new MOT!

A new Lotus owner would have had a flaming end no doubt....

Iain, I put a braided line on the S1 but never knew of issues with the red hose? Only drove the car a few metres so not sure on clutch condition, the car had a recon engine in 1999 from DJ Dean, not done many miles since either so hopefully it was renewed.

I will post some more pics this week of problem areas.

Cheers

Dave

Here are a few pictures of some problem areas which need sorting, the car also leaks water badly into the cabin which is concerning, the door seals are not great though.

post-10978-0-74690900-1387387360.jpg

A lovely hole cut in the sill for some unknown reason..... Smuggling?? Lovely carpets too.... Not!

post-10978-0-83777900-1387387528.jpg

The cant rail has been smooth filled into the roof, this will be sorted with new can't rail trims, it is only the roof section so will come away ok I hope.

post-10978-0-49708400-1387387704.jpg

I need to get original number plate lights

post-10978-0-95580700-1387387781.jpg

Metalwork will be taking a trip to the powder coat company!

post-10978-0-72846500-1387387861.jpg

post-10978-0-25779500-1387387891.jpg

Interior is crying out for help, the seats are missing their runners and have been attached directly to the floor, does anyone know what car they come off?

post-10978-0-51324400-1387388050.jpg

Not pretty but easy enough to tidy up, spare wheel was missing.

Yeah saw those, I need to get my S1 seats out the loft and check dimensions.

The car has a really old looking badge on the front which I do like, does anyone know what it came off or is it original? I have owned and worked on loads of Lotus cars and never seen another like it?

post-10978-0-78136400-1387393619.jpg

Also does anyone recognise the wheels?

post-10978-0-15784300-1387393692.jpg

post-10978-0-53900600-1387393714.jpg

I do have plans for these to see if I can work some magic! Still going to search for Speedlines though.

Compomotives maybe? I am sure I have seen them on an S2 before (the first Esprit I ever looked at), it was red so maybe it's the same car! I am sure it had Compomotive centre caps.

Has anyone on here removed the cap screws on the rims before, are they loctited in?

I would like to remove and polish the rims, fit new screws, repaint the centres and finally fit new wheel nuts.

Should tidy the appearance up until good replacements come up.

I bet the original centre caps are like rocking horse you know what??

Carbs are now stripped, sheared an idle jet holder which luckily came out with some warming and an Easy Out. Need to order a few parts from Eurocarbs which failed inspection but generally in good condition. All the metalwork is bagged ready to go plating in the new year.

Removed the rear bumper yesterday, that was a challenge as the mounts detached so repairs to do, also those ugly number plate lights have had bigger holes cut for the bulb holders so the bumper now needs another repair before it can be painted satin black. Does anyone know the dimension of the edge trim as lots of sizes available?

Challenge....? Can anyone see what is missing from the engine in the picture below discounting the carbs and air box, only noticed it yesterday myself????

post-10978-0-47763900-1387705225.jpg

Lol! Very quick Dan, I didn't even notice which is often the case with missing items, the car had so many bad areas to address this one slipped me by :(

I will have to get it sorted as before going on the road otherwise it will bother me every time I drive it.

Hi Iain

The bumper edge trim although I will be replacing the waistline trim when the wearer warms as not fitted very well by a previous keeper.

I can't remember if the bumper trim is 8mm or 10mm wide, I need to get some for both cars so thought I might as well order together, woolies do it as well as door seal material which is far cheaper. Not easy doing the corner mitre though as remember doing this on an Excel.

I had to think about it, it was the space between the starter motor and oil filter that flagged it up to me, as you say it can be hard to see missing bits, I might have a spare oil cooler and take off plate if I can find them, they are probably in the boot of my race car which is currently in storage, but I am hoping to put it back in my garage over Christmas.

Regards Dan

Edited by eclat22

Thanks Dan

I have been looking at oil cooler kits on eBay this morning which includes everything, just need to go out the garage and check the dimensions on my S1.

Seems a far cheaper option than SJ as spent loads on the S1 set up.

Don't know if these are any good on eBay but defiantly an improvement to nothing as currently fitted!

Do you race your Éclat?

Hi Dave, I used to race the Éclat but the engine went bang! I have rebuilt it and had it running, but have yet to get it tuned on the rolling road as it was updated during the rebuild. I have also moved house taking on more debt so the car has been put back in its box for now so to speak. There is on board footage of track days and testing on YouTube and qualifying but no race footage due to legal reasons. If you search lotus éclat Mallory park you should find it.

Regards Dan

• Like 1

Wicked Dan, she seems to handle well without under steer, I have only driven Excels in the past. Mallory park looks like great fun, I have driven an Exige around Donnington a couple times and loved it. You really need to get that car going again, i bet it turns heads passing boxsters?

Cheers

Dave

Went hunting in the loft tonight and well pleased with what I found for the S2........

post-10978-0-52833100-1387831269.jpg

New old stock SU pump as rebuilding the entire fuel system

New old stock dizzy cap and arm, no big deal but saves a few quid!

The gear surround which is missing

The heated window switch which is broke and a couple holding clips

A couple tailgate brackets to get plated and swapped over one for one.

A replacement B post trim as mine is badly cracked.

A pair of superb cant rails

A pair of number plate lights - the icing on the cake, well pleased!

I have also found several headlights as not sure of the condition on the S2 with regards to the chrome.

A good evenings work, only got done because the better half was out for the evening!

Yeah got a few although regret letting so many go over the years :(

The wheel arches are screaming out to get painted but the car is under a cover outside at present and the weather is awful, looking for a rented garage so I can progress further as most of the jobs are pretty simple.

Never found what I originally went hunting for being the trims which fit around the interior door handles, I know I have several sets somewhere along with various nose badges.

Do the ears have a rubber trim where it sits against the body? Can't remember what was fitted on my JPS's?