Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 crying for help! - Page 5 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 crying for help!

Hi All,

Just been reading from where Dave started this S2 which I have now purchased from him, Dave has done some great work on this very tired S2 and hopefully I will carry on the work with a lot of help from you guys and I rekkon a few texts to Dave who has already been a big help.

Not done much as yet just trying to work out where to start, I have decided to fully restore her possably back to her original colour which was Roman Bronze, if anybody has details on this paint and also the interior trim colours it would be really helpful.

This is my first Esprit challange so foregive me for asking stupid questions!

Cheers

Daren

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Cheers Lain,

i think I will be needing a little help from forum guys with this resto biggest problem I have at the minute is knowing where to find all the parts, Dave has done some great work with the car and a lot of wiring which is my biggest fear I think a new loom for piece of mind while the body is off.

Cheers Lain,

mines had a lot of water coming in from the doors, Ive got some new door frame seals with the car but theirs a big gap around the top of the doors and a seal in that channel made sense obviously not!

If there are gaps between the window frame and the new seals, then I would say the window frame needs adjusting. A real fun (not) job - lots of grease and the window motor in the way most of the time, but the frame is shimmed with thick washers on all three legs of the window frame. By swapping around the shims you can get the window frame to press evenly against the seal.

Beforehand, need to check (and adjust) the door is flush with the car body. I still have to do the passenger side.

Later models had that gap filled with a round seal. Many have bought them for earlier cars (they fit perfectly) but the reason for doing so is really to reduce wind noise at speed (it helps a bit) and to improve the look/makes the door farm look more finished off.

I doubt that it would stop an ingress of water but it's not expensive to buy the one piece rubber strip. 

• Like 1

Darren

I got mine from Lotus - not expensive as I recall although it was about 15 years ago. It is one piece and flat bottomed to be glued into the channel. I'd strongly recommend getting that one rather than trying to buy a cheap one and trying to get it to fit.

Can't remember. Think it was Araldite and then a bit of superglue on the 90 degree top corner where I cut the strips at 45 degrees and butted them together.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys

After a bit of a break from the Esprit and with great debate I have decided to totally nut & bolt my S2 I did attempt to try and make her road worthy from when I bought it from Dave but after some serious digging around with the wiring, suspension, clutch and interior I though it just needed a full strip down. So I started with interior and then the next week the body came off now sat looking at a very big pile of bits wondering what have I started!!!

interior 1.jpg

chassis and engine 2.jpg

Hi Darren, 

welcome, I bought Daves S1 which he did a great job on and took it over.  Thankfully nearly finished! Good luck, hopefully some bits on my blog may be of use. I look forward to reading yours, believe Aka Bilk owned it?

Hi Fabian,

Dave did tell me about your S1 have you got it about finished? I started a few weeks ago and just found a few minutes to put a few pictures on the forum for you guys to see. the car has some good history and Aka Bilk or his production manager Les Squires did own the car I have a very large file full of history so it is worth getting this car back to its former glory...I hope!!

I bought all my spares from http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk

I replaced all the tubes on the back of my chassis as they were pretty much all knackered. The rest of my chassis was pretty good.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Got most of the parts from S and J. Some of them you can get on Ebay. My blog has got the part sources on it with bolt sizes. This will save a lot of time. Refurb the loom, dont buy a new one. Get the wires from the supplier on my blog and the connectors from ebay. If you list the parts you need I may have some bits to help.

Fabian,

Where is your blog so I can have a look? my loom is in a very bad state Dave had done a lot of work on the rear engine loom section but under the dash/pod sections is a total mess with a lot of cut wires and broken & burnt sections so I was going to buy a new one but I've heard a few mixed reports on them?