Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S2 crying for help! - Page 8 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 crying for help!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Orange is nice though. This magazine article has a lot to answer for

image.jpeg

i was obsessed at the time - and it hasn't got any better

Only here once

4 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Orange is nice though. This magazine article has a lot to answer for

image.jpeg

i was obsessed at the time - and it hasn't got any better

Yes but that's an original colour (and pretty damn nice it looks too). The S2 never came in orange.

I know Roman Bronze ain't the prettiest of colours but it is original and period correct for this 70s car and I reckon it would grow on you.

post-10978-0-83503500-1391373080.jpg

post-10978-0-00805400-1392984287.jpg

• Like 1

Roman bronze might of grown on me but I just don't like brown cars we painted a test panel in roman bronze and it still didn't do it for me. I know its not original  but there are a lot of esprit out there not in there original factory colours i just wanted something different. I have never seen a S2 in orange I saw a evora in the orange and liked it, but I must admit it is a lot brighter than I thought hoping fully built it will tone it down.

Essex Blue wasn't original on the S2. OK only 1 year out but it looks so damn good! To me anyway...

Way better than my car's original red which made it look cheap. 

Good luck with the orange. Wouldn't have been my choice but it's your car, do what the hell you want with it just as long as it puts a smile on your face every time you look at it!

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

I'm of the view if you like it paint it that colour. No car that's forty years old is original. Matching numbers, found the original engine, yeh right. It looks great, enjoy and I look forward to seeing it. Of course white would have been better!???.

Thks for the positive comments appreciated when I am a bit  concerned it's a bit on the bright side i am sure it will look good fully built at least it's the only one around lol your correct how many cars are fully original at 40 years old, I love white esprit and that would of been my choice my son talked me out of it!

3 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

No car that's forty years old is original

My Esprit is 34 years young in 7 days time and is original :thumbsup:

@darenwsmith orange is stunning

Great choice of colour Daren

Roman Bronze Yuck !

Keep up the good work :)

Matt

The more the merrier :yes:

• 1 month later...

Well done Darren, so glad this poor car went to a good home and finally restored to its former glory. I would loved to have seen you go for Roman Bronze but like the Orange you have chosen. Are you going with gold or silver wheels? Did you get some speedlines or sticking with the split rims?

You are doing a great job and look forward to seeing it finished as should look quite unique and very striking to the eye. ?

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Hi Dave nice to hear from you hope you are well, the car is coming on well I know nearly everyone on here thinks I should of gone Roman Bronze but I had test panels painted and really was not for me so I decided to do something different to everyone else right or wrong I have still saved it poor thing and the colour is growing on me!

Just stripped the engine this week and done another shopping list, chassis is getting built up in between other bits, ive got my workshop making new front brake covers replaced every nut,bolt, door pins, st/St bonnet hinges & catches the list is endless as you know so I am trying my best for the poor car and keep another S2 on the road.

I have the set of speed lines in silver I got from you which really look good but I do like those split rims polished with gold inners against the colour of the body so once finished I will fit both to see what looks the best.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dave I was going to go black leather for the interior I think I have defiantly gone over ambitious on the paint work:o, have you got yourself another Lotus yet?

I have now stripped the engine and it was a good job I did the mesh strainer on the oil pick in the sump was completely blocked solid with old hardened oil partials and big lumps of gasket sealant, the main bearings/crank are showing bad signs of oil issues small gouges in the surfaces, crank has a few bad marks also. Surprisingly the pistons and liners are in very good condition doesn't look like they have done many miles at all.

I am going to rebuild the engine up to 2.2ltr with a pair of 104/107 cams which should give the engine a new lease of life!

if you have any interesting ideas for the interior I would be happy to hear?

cheers

Daren

• Like 1

Daren, I am with Dan on this your colour choices are spot on and will look superb.

My first turbo I bought over 20 years ago suffered from oil starvation, when stripped the sealant used to rebuild it months before me buying blocked the oil ways and pump suction filter. The engine was a right mess and cost a fortune to put right.

Sounds like your engine plans will make this a very special S2, keep us all posted on any progress ???????

I am currently looking for a Turbo dry sump car so watch this space! ?

Dave ?

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Dave Looking forward to see what you get your hands on some of the cars are starting to fetch good money!

Keep me posted! Daren

Any you guys help me I am looking for a material matting for the bulk head and engine bay for a heat sheild / sound deadening also what the best matting for the outside of the chassis tunnel for sound deadening? Cheers

I'm a bit late to the party, but before I bought mine, I viewed a midnight blue TE, which Paul Matty knew and advised against, and then a Roman Bronze S2 ( Midlands area, late 1992).

admittedly it was in a garage, and the light wasn't great, but with its original black interior, the whole thing felt really calaustrophobic and a bit depressing.

Think you've made the right choice with orange ???

Good Luck with the rest of the rebuild. When I finally get mine finished I may take a run up the A15 from Lincoln and have a butchers.

Dave