free hit
counters
S2 crying for help! - Page 5 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
LOTUSMAN33

S2 crying for help!

Really good work there. When you find it hard it is good to have a look at what you have done. You have come such a long way and its all good progress. Im sure with a bit more time when you get the jobs you want to do it will be a great car.

Buddsy  :thumbsup:

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks guys, as you say Buddsy it is easy to give up when things go wrong, I certainly took a lot on with this car as really suffered over the years. Shame it was not ready for Brooklands as we have had a great day looking at cars, bikes, buses and planes! Gordon's S1 looked great and my two favourite Essex cars were calling at me!

No S2's here from what I saw, my wife likes the new shape Europa, must agree they are very smart even if the newer stuff is not my thing.

Pity the weather was poor but lots of nice people around, just checked in to our Hotel and going for a cold beer before heading home to attack the S2 again!

A good bonus was my mate Dave gave me a new rear light surround for the S2 which will be fitted tomorrow as mine is knackered :)

Dave :)

Vin, Pm me your address and I will post that light adjuster mate.

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Decided to attack the blowing exhaust this week, doing an exhaust manifold in place is no fun as many have found out! This one had clearly been attempted before with bolts in the two easy to do holes.

First thing was to jack the car up high and get it on axle stands, I then removed the wheel and intermediate pipe, this was clearly knackered with holes evident :(

post-10978-0-08122300-1399751119.jpg

post-10978-0-43091600-1399751169.jpg

post-10978-0-06709400-1399751195.jpg

Next was to release the engine bay brace bar and engine mounts which also showed another failed item...

post-10978-0-21019800-1399751312.jpg

Then the worst bit, splitting the nuts with various size chisels from the engine bay working blind laying over the engine and from below, I looked like a tiger had mauled me when I undressed later!

post-10978-0-64783000-1399751532.jpg

Then disaster struck! Snapped an exhaust stud in the head! :(

The manifold has about seven hairline cracks and broken sections from previous attempts at removal...

post-10978-0-35080600-1399751826.jpg

After a few days of planning engine removal I decided to apply some engineering and manufacture two drilling jigs, they had to be at least 20mm thick and drilled very accurately to allow no error as when drilling steel in aluminium the drill will wonder to the softer material and ruin the head.

post-10978-0-40069300-1399752862.jpg

First jig had a 3mm pilot hole to guide the tapping drill.

post-10978-0-14442300-1399752950.jpg

Drilled perfectly central and to the correct depth

post-10978-0-64341200-1399753025.jpg

Now drilled with the second jig using the 6.8mm tapping drill for M8 threads

post-10978-0-06807800-1399753144.jpg

Now using the same jig as a guide the hole was re-tapped 8mm.

post-10978-0-90537500-1399753255.jpg

Job done with a perfect thread, now for the expensive bit, new stainless manifold with link pipe and stainless fastenings.... £500 plus! Still at least it will be fixed and another step taken to save this poor car!

Dave :)

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

It is a truely hateful job, I did the same on my S3 albeit all my studs came out intact. I am now using stainless studs and nuts that will not corrode. I have a replacement tubular manifold too and this can be removed due to the improved access in about 30 mins, this alone is worth the change! I think it took about 6 hours in total to remove the original spread over few days.

Hi All,

Just been reading from where Dave started this S2 which I have now purchased from him, Dave has done some great work on this very tired S2 and hopefully I will carry on the work with a lot of help from you guys and I rekkon a few texts to Dave who has already been a big help.

Not done much as yet just trying to work out where to start, I have decided to fully restore her possably back to her original colour which was Roman Bronze, if anybody has details on this paint and also the interior trim colours it would be really helpful.

This is my first Esprit challange so foregive me for asking stupid questions!

Cheers

Daren

Great to see you carry on the resto Daren. Always happy to walk out to the garage and take a pic of my S2 to assist with the job, if possible.

Iain

Cheers Lain,

i think I will be needing a little help from forum guys with this resto biggest problem I have at the minute is knowing where to find all the parts, Dave has done some great work with the car and a lot of wiring which is my biggest fear I think a new loom for piece of mind while the body is off.

Cheers Lain,

mines had a lot of water coming in from the doors, Ive got some new door frame seals with the car but theirs a big gap around the top of the doors and a seal in that channel made sense obviously not!

If there are gaps between the window frame and the new seals, then I would say the window frame needs adjusting. A real fun (not) job - lots of grease and the window motor in the way most of the time, but the frame is shimmed with thick washers on all three legs of the window frame. By swapping around the shims you can get the window frame to press evenly against the seal.

Beforehand, need to check (and adjust) the door is flush with the car body. I still have to do the passenger side.

Later models had that gap filled with a round seal. Many have bought them for earlier cars (they fit perfectly) but the reason for doing so is really to reduce wind noise at speed (it helps a bit) and to improve the look/makes the door farm look more finished off.

I doubt that it would stop an ingress of water but it's not expensive to buy the one piece rubber strip. 

• Like 1

cheers guys I will fit new door seals when I get to that stage and see what happens also possibly look for the strip that Bazza mentioned.

Darren

I got mine from Lotus - not expensive as I recall although it was about 15 years ago. It is one piece and flat bottomed to be glued into the channel. I'd strongly recommend getting that one rather than trying to buy a cheap one and trying to get it to fit.

This is what I used. Fitted 10 years ago, still doing a good job. Makes a big difference to wind noise.

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1820-sponge-extrusion.aspx

Pete

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

what glue did you use?

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Can't remember. Think it was Araldite and then a bit of superglue on the 90 degree top corner where I cut the strips at 45 degrees and butted them together.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi Guys

After a bit of a break from the Esprit and with great debate I have decided to totally nut & bolt my S2 I did attempt to try and make her road worthy from when I bought it from Dave but after some serious digging around with the wiring, suspension, clutch and interior I though it just needed a full strip down. So I started with interior and then the next week the body came off now sat looking at a very big pile of bits wondering what have I started!!!

interior 1.jpg

chassis and engine 2.jpg

Hi Darren, 

welcome, I bought Daves S1 which he did a great job on and took it over.  Thankfully nearly finished! Good luck, hopefully some bits on my blog may be of use. I look forward to reading yours, believe Aka Bilk owned it?

Wow that chassis looks a bit crusty at the back. Check the tubes under the exhaust manifold as they tend to rot through around there.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Hi Fabian,

Dave did tell me about your S1 have you got it about finished? I started a few weeks ago and just found a few minutes to put a few pictures on the forum for you guys to see. the car has some good history and Aka Bilk or his production manager Les Squires did own the car I have a very large file full of history so it is worth getting this car back to its former glory...I hope!!

Just waiting for the interior. Look forward to seeing lots of pics as you go.