free hit
counters
S2 exhaust downpipe problem - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

S2 exhaust downpipe problem

Hi everyone. (This could be similar to Tom's post, but maybe not)

I have investigated a gas leak between the manifold and downpipe, tried all of remedies but no luck and I have given up trying to get the car registered for Xmas :(

The downpipe at the triple clamp end is flush, that is the pipes do not protrude through the faceplate by about a cm. The cast manifold ports ID is meant to mate with the pipes.

So is my problem the downpipe has been faced, or wrong for the car? Or is the manifold the wrong one?

Here is a pic:

Help!!

Thanks everyone :)

post-1858-0-84891000-1387280300.jpg

Edited by Iain S2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shouldn't the downpipe have balljoints which make me question if it's the right one?   Pete

Posted Images

Is the manifold ID the same as the pipes? You ought to be able to find a suitable short length of pipe to sit snugly inside...a bit of weld to hold it in the pipes and you should be good to go.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Yep agree with Pete, that won't allow movement so should have ball joints, I have a similar system on my S2 which I am going to change. I will take some pics later for you if I go out the garage.

Dave

Do or do not, there is no try! 

No they are stainless steel panduit used on industrial wiring to hold cable runs together, they are fitted with a special torque gun and very strong, the area on the painted part is fitted with a rubber channel to prevent damage.

The heat shield was made from heat proof webbing covered in heat proof aluminium tape.

Thanks Dave, top shots. Thanks for taking them. Was this a Stainless system from SJ's? The downpipe is just like the pic on his site.

Can you recall if the downpipe pipes protruded through the flange to mate with the manifold?

I can see it now, incrementally replacing parts to only find the next part non-standard :)

Iain

Lol! You should see the state of my S2, it has been owned by a few cowboys I think!

Not sure where the system came from but it needed cutting and modification to fit correctly, I bought it as a spare years ago and had it stored in the loft. Sure mine had the raised areas but fitted it a long time ago.

It is stainless though and looking at SJ's system I would go for that.

Any other help let me know

Dave :)

• 1 month later...

Peter/Dave (/anyone),

Fired my S3na upfor the first time in 15 years on Monday pm. Will eventually be replacing whole exhaust, but for now just want to get up & running ( blog to be entered shortly...)

Q: there is a slight blow from the ball joints on oe fittment exhaust. Whats the best remedy? No significant rusting, but l reckon getting gun gum in there is a: going to be a pig and b: shake out in no time

Thx, Dave

Yup. Nothing you can do. Just the car...

Pete

Chance would be a fine thing! Hoping for late summer...

Thanks both, I'll book the mot at a station in Scotland to give it a chance to seal on the way:-)

• 4 months later...

Thanks Dave, top shots. Thanks for taking them. Was this a Stainless system from SJ's? The downpipe is just like the pic on his site.

Can you recall if the downpipe pipes protruded through the flange to mate with the manifold?

I can see it now, incrementally replacing parts to only find the next part non-standard :)

Iain

The SJ's stainless downpipe does not protrude through the flange.  In fact, all the one they sell do not.  As far as I know most of cars have flat flanges.  My flange is warped due to high temp and will be re-surfaced this week.  The only way to do this is to cut off the pipes above the flange. I am going to put it back on without the pipes first. Let's see...