free hit
counters
Quicksilver Silencer for V6 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Quicksilver Silencer for V6

diego

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

thanks for the heads-up,

I hope they do a titanium system, I had one on my Elise. Sounded fantastic at 8500rpm but did wear a bit thin in longer trips. I actually had to have it removed for a trip to Italy.

Thing is, with current noise restrictions I could only consider a variable system from now on. I'm enjoying not having to worry about black flags on track days.

TLF are a Quicksilver retailer, you'll get 10% off that as a full forum member when it's available :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

it looks like they work with titanium so how big is your bank balance jonny :) ? . its only a back box as far as i can tell so wouldnt be a complete system ...

apparently they will send me some clips etc later this week. will keep you guys posted. 

would rather a total lotus (headers, downpipes, cats and backbox) solution tbh. just not convinced the lotus sports silencer actually adds anything ?! not switchable either. 

it definitely 'adds lightness'!

the titanium QS pipe saved nearly 10kg on my Elise over the standard system on its own. 

the saving should be even greater compared to the switchable V6 set-up.

I agree would like to see what Lotus come out with but in the past their sports exhausts were not as durable or well made as some of the better aftermarket options.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting as I'm interested to see (and hear) what options are out there for my car. The reduced weight claims are impressive too. But to be honest, that didn't sound very good to me. I think I should offer them my services! A good video is an vital sales tool for an exhaust maker. This one makes the exhaust sound like it has a nasty resonance in it, some wierd metallic grating noise. Either that's poor sound recording which means the video is doing more harm than good or it really does have a nasty resonance.

I seriously hope it's the former but I think Quicksilver deserve better.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/shop/exhaust-systems/758-exige-s-35-v6-sport-system.html

Remember, 10% off for full forum members :)

I'll feed that back to QS Jonny, perhaps they can take another better sound quality video. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

This one makes the exhaust sound like it has a nasty resonance in it, some wierd metallic grating noise. Either that's poor sound recording which means the video is doing more harm than good or it really does have a nasty resonance.

I seriously hope it's the former but I think Quicksilver deserve better.

Agree with you on this, it doesn't sound great.

I'm not sure on the tail pipe design too

2bular and Larini both do a valved system, which seems to offer the best sound.

i had a go with the Quicksilver V6 at B&C. 

Made a nice racket under full load but a little too boomy in the cabin for me under normal conditions - light acceleration off traffic lights etc:) it was quiet enough cruising at 80mph.... was just getting there that was the issue. 

not a solution for me but im sure someone will love it :) 

:wub: the wheelspin :D

Evora NA

• 4 months later...

FYI

theres a new and improved version hanging on the wall at B&C .. i will let Jamie post pictures but it looks v well fabricated and is switchable. could be a nice solution. 

actually looks the tits actually but need to have a go in a car with one before i commit.

This sounds great but I wonder if it would become tiresome in a car with no sound deadening?

Mind you, V6 exhaust drone beats tyre drone, so probably an improvement overall.

Red one does sound good. So looking at that, the Larini video and having heard the cars at Hangar 111 the 'trick' appears to be fit new manifolds and you can get a decent noise but look stock ?

Black n gold

The piggy snout? Yes I quite like that too.

The main problem I have is how great the car sounds as standard. It's not like a 4cyl toyota Exige where it utterly transforms from anodyne mondeo 4 pot buzz to an exotic shrieking banshee with a silencer. The V6 can be made to sound louder but I'm not convinced the sounds are meaningfully better. Some are raspier or more bassy but I want a higher pitch scream at high revs not more growl during start up.

There's a fine line with these things. I got some carbon cans for my TVR Tuscan and it was glorious, like a D-type Jag up to 4500k and like something altogether more modern and vicious after that. It never sounded better. I ruined it when I went for full decats. Just more noise, less music. It was painful in tunnels and embarrassing when overtaking. I put the standard cans back on but it was too rattly and raspy then. I then put 200 cell sports cats back in at further cost. Better, but still not as good as standard with carbon cans. We live and learn!

• Like 1

This sounds great but I wonder if it would become tiresome in a car with no sound deadening?

Mind you, V6 exhaust drone beats tyre drone, so probably an improvement overall.

That's my friends car, Dixie.

In the video he's got the Larini manifold and the OEM back box without any cats.

Recently he had to add a 100-cell cat because the CEL came on (even if the sensors were 'fooled').

He swung by last weekend with the new system (with cat) and it still sounds very very *nice* !

Well tell Dixie that his car sounds superb :):)

I ran a Bathurst for 6 months and never tired of the noise from under the bonnet or exhaust

However I am from Essex so it was considered normal..... Edited by Bibs

Black n gold

That's my friends car, Dixie.

In the video he's got the Larini manifold and the OEM back box without any cats.

Recently he had to add a 100-cell cat because the CEL came on (even if the sensors were 'fooled').

He swung by last weekend with the new system (with cat) and it still sounds very very *nice* !

so basically a smaller cat and a larini manifold makes that much noise ???? 

how loud is it when switched to off position?

thanks 

so basically a smaller cat and a larini manifold makes that much noise ???? 

how loud is it when switched to off position?

thanks 

Hi diego,

in the youtube video Dixie is running no cats at all: Larini manifold, downpipe and OEM back box. 

I did not hear this setup.  I only heard the catted version (100 cell; HJS imo) and that still sounds super.  Dixie said it is in fact a lot quieter then it was without the cat.

Valve closed makes a considerable difference.  But all this is subjective.

When my Exige arrives (I really hope in 4 weeks time now); I'll do a different exhaust setup...

Sounds awesome, glad to see some more options becoming available.

I had a custom exhaust made for the GTR, ws going to see if he could do one for the exige should I get one