free hit
counters
Pros and Cons of removing spare tire from car - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
MikieP

Pros and Cons of removing spare tire from car

other than driving around without a way home when a flat occurs? Thinking about saving some weight and making room for CD Changer and XM radio unit placed in the boot. Am I daft or not, please?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Took mine out week later i hit a crane foot on the fast lane of the m18 desyroyed the wheel. Tyre weld no good when the wheels collapsed. Wife drove out with wheel in her car. Still its still in the shed now

I don't know about USA based recovery insurers, the AA here in the UK may refuse to recover the vehicle if the car was supposed to have a spare but it's no longer there / not serviceable.

Decided to leave the spare in place and used it once when rear tyre kept going flat on me but thankfully I was on my own so could use the passenger seat for the tyre - dont know what I would have done if my wife was with me. Dont think a tow truck would give the misses a lift home so I could use the passenger seat for the flat tyre.

Car felt very strange to drive with such an odd sized spare tyre and presumably driving without it will lighten the steering.

Very happy with the replies! Another good thought - not sure about recovery plan rules here so will investigate further about that as it may indeed be an issue with AARP's plan. Also, read somewhere that it does change car's weight distribution perhaps enough to make the front end float at higher speeds, maybe even enough to fly as I am thinking about trying to see if 150 mph is really possible one night after its rebuild is complete later on next month. Thoughts on that one? And, Happy New Year to you all!

And yet another poignant issue - my car has aftermarket brakes as well and will check if it fits over both front and rear brakes! Love this!

Makes steering much easier at lower speeds, never drove with the spare in either my Esprits over 12 years ownership and had a couple of cans of tyreweld instead.

No, haven't used it, but looks like you need multiple cams for larger wheels, so read the label.

Bibs,

You should have had a can of fix a wheel hub carrier on your trip to France... ;)

About a week after I ditched the spare in my V8, it picked up a nail (my first flat tire mishap on the road in 30+ years), and the tire went flat at work in the parking garage.

In place of the spare/ nuts/ jack, jack handle, I had bought a Conti Komfort Kit (or whatever) from Tire Rack. Apart from being a bit messy, it pumped up and sealed a 285 width tire just fine. The kit includes an electric pump that pumps the latex goo in as well as air. Since the latex dries and plugs up the pump line, you have to buy a "rebuild" kit to restore it to working order.

It's no big deal 'tho.

Since I couldn't find a new replacement tire, all four tires were changed out to a different brand, so I can't tell you if the tire guy had any repair issues with the resulting latex mess inside the tire.

I might add that pulling the spare out of my '89 helps the steering-- a bit lighter.

No changes were noticed in my 2003, that has power steering. Except on the weigh scales.

The pic shows the Kit slotted in on top of the battery in lieu of the useless tool kit.

PS, added an additional electric outlet in the engine bay so pump can reach all 4 tires.

post-220-0-75883800-1388175295.jpg