free hit
counters
Replacing radiator fans with Kenlow or similar. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
neill1607

Replacing radiator fans with Kenlow or similar.

Whilst the radiator's being re-cored & all the shrouds (broken in several places) are off, I thought I might as well replace the original fans with the slim Kenlow units & do away with the shroud.

Has anybody done this?

Got any photo's of the installation?

I thought I remembered reading a post a couple of years back to do with the fitting kits wearing through the fins, but can't find it anywhere!

Thanks

Hooligan at heart.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yep and all works fine sofar............. 500miles.  However I probabaly will drop the rad pack at a later date and fit the stainless rad mount frame and bolt the fans to that via brackets rather than directly through the rad fins as  they are at the moment.  I got mine from Car Builder Solutions in Staplehurst Kent.

I had my fans fitted with the through fin fitting kit and I have changed them as they were rubbing excessively. It did not get to the point where they broke through any tubes but given time it would have happened.

I used the fans by Tripack. I fitted them to the existing shroud and seem to work well. 

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

There's a range of different sizes (7" - 16") available on the car builders site, & I don't have the radiator to check sizes at the moment. Anyone recall what size they used?

Hooligan at heart.

I used 11". I used the dremmel and a belt facer to grind off the mounts then pop riveted them into the old shroud.

IMG_8190-1.jpg

IMG_8191.jpg

IMG_8412.jpg

IMG_8414.jpg

Thats what I done. I didnt like the idea of the direct mounting to the rad. Can be ok but must be tight or vibration can make them work loose and break your rad,

Buddsy

I am pretty sure mine are 2x 11" with a 10" in the middle. or at a very  outside it could be 12,11,12. Depends where they measure from.  I took the rad down there as they are nearby but it was 18 months ago. What ever it was there is not a lot of rad that's not covered. 

post-1261-0-60693400-1388237423.jpg

post-1261-0-45000500-1388237496.jpg

Edited by mdw

After wrestling with my S1 radiator and fans the last few days, I sometimes envy you guys with the later cars. That rad and fan setup is sooooo much better.

Cheers, Gavin

Maybe but you have to make sacrifices in the name of fashion...and the S1 is all about the looks baby!

Buddsy

Hi Niell As I understand it the shroud is an important part of getting the maximum airflow through the rad, as are the foam strips top and bottom. The shroud should be quite an easy repair (alloy strips and pop-rivets -or fibreglass).

Why would you have a nice recored rad and then bolt fitting kits through it, asking for trouble.

Cheers Roy.

The shroud is made of ABS plastic, and repairing it with fiberglass resin can be very tricky. Cracks should be repaired with an ABS solvent/filler mixture (a smelly ketone solvent and some ABS powder). You can use cloth or mat to make repairs using the ABS material just as you would with fiberglass, but the ABS solvent truly bonds with the plastic while fiberglass will often fail to bond, Some have used the old shroud as a plug and fabricated a true fiberglass shroud. Also it is popular to make a shroud from aluminum, which will work very well.

Edited by Tom Mieczkowski

Has anyone noticed that since they upgraded their fans that the AC works ok but after a time the fan fail light comes on. It goes out after a short delay when AC is switched off but didn't happen with my old fans. Wondered if the motors overheat when running continuously with the AC. Got to admit I didn't buy the most expensive fans but non the less. Puzzled !
With AC off works as normal with water temp switch.

post-16074-0-68054200-1407068976.jpg

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

All fans are made in China, except SPAL fans (so I’ve been told).

At the beginning, I have installed so called “85W” pancake fans (with blue dots), which did not perform adequately.

Waste of time and money!

Then, I switched to SPALS, which performed as advertised.

You may look at “pancake” fans, like

Spal 30100435    the 10" Curved Blade Puller Fan

Spal 30100411   the 11" Curved Blade Puller Fan

You can check the spec sheets here:

https://webstore.spalusa.com/en-us/productlist/0118/products/fans/fans+-+high+performance.aspx

However, disappointed with the first batch, I went for set of “killer” SPAL 30102057 fans which are awesome!

https://webstore.spalusa.com/content/files/content/PDF/30102057_2058_SPEC.pdf

and 60A fan relays.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/garage/vehicle/744-lotus-esprit-turbo-x330/?mod_id=1602&tab=mods

In this global economy, the best prices you can get here, or on Amazon:

http://www.the-fan-man.com/shop/-c-33.html?osCsid=6869f74ca9d7b4ce569a000783c73070

Edited by MrDangerUS

Thanks mr danger will check that out.

Wayne

Thanks mr danger will check that out.

Wayne

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

All fans are made in China, except SPAL fans (so I’ve been told).

At the beginning, I have installed so called “85W” pancake fans (with blue dots), which did not perform adequately.

Waste of time and money!

Then, I switched to SPALS, which performed as advertised.

You may look at “pancake” fans, like

Spal 30100435    the 10" Curved Blade Puller Fan

Spal 30100411   the 11" Curved Blade Puller Fan

You can check the spec sheets here:

https://webstore.spalusa.com/en-us/productlist/0118/products/fans/fans+-+high+performance.aspx

However, disappointed with the first batch, I went for set of “killer” SPAL 30102057 fans which are awesome!

https://webstore.spalusa.com/content/files/content/PDF/30102057_2058_SPEC.pdf

and 60A fan relays.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/garage/vehicle/744-lotus-esprit-turbo-x330/?mod_id=1602&tab=mods

In this global economy, the best prices you can get here, or on Amazon:

http://www.the-fan-man.com/shop/-c-33.html?osCsid=6869f74ca9d7b4ce569a000783c73070

Did you have to upgrade the wiring? If all the fans start at once (which mine should, apart from the fact that two are knackered), I'm wondering if the original wiring to and from the relay (there's only one on the S4s) will cope?

Margate Exotics.

To clarify my previous statement:

The 'pancake" fans I used initially were not SPAL-s. 

Spal fans of the similar shape and thickness would probably suffice.

Whatever you'll decide to buy, always look for a "sealed motor" in the specs sheet.

I'm not familiar with S4 wiring. Perhaps it has been upgraded.

Older models had some marginal wiring and a single 2x15A (!) fan relay.

FYI, the in-rush current could create 20-23A spike per fan on start-up.

To be on the safe side, I have installed two additional high power relays (60/40A BEULER relays), which are triggered by OE 2x15A relay.