free hit
counters
S3 seat fixings - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S3 seat fixings

I have just had the drivers seat repaired, and am wondering what the correct attachment method is. Is it simply just a large washer on each seat runner stopping it pulling through? I had some signs of water ingress, so assume a liberal dose of silicon sealant?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The seat runners have the bolts welded to them. The heads of the bolts fit down inside the floor mounted portion of the runner, where they are spot or tack arc welded; may need some size reduction of the bolt heads to get them to fit in...angle grinder is useful here. This is needed to get the seats to fit the runners and move fore and aft. Then the bolts go through the holes in the floor, penny washers and nyloc nuts. Some silicone sealant won't hurt...one of the inboard bolts on each seat has a braided earth strap fitted. I remember it being a bit of a fiddle, but not too bad!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Earth strap? Having problems wondering why that would be necessary? In case the seat belt warning wiring makes the frame live? Confirmation of the washers is very helpful, I always wonder if I have it correct after the po has obviously been there before me.

When in doubt, follow good engineering practise and it's difficult to go wrong. I've wondered about the earth straps too...they go from the inboard seat runner to the chassis, and I have no idea what they are supposed to do! Since they were there, I've always put them back, though....there's more than a touch of the thaumaturgical about these cars....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein