free hit
counters
Coulthard - "I owe it all to Jim Clark." - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Coulthard - "I owe it all to Jim Clark."

Bibs

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The "Proud scot", who lives in Monaco.

Whilst I appreciate what he says in the article and the influence of Jim Clark. You forget how young Clark was when he died, a tragic loss.

I would have thought with coulthards money and Jackie Stewarts they could fund the project without even noticing. So I do hope they put some money into the project, which they may well be doing.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I think you are being a bit harsh with that comment Chris.

You can still be proud of your roots when you live in another country, be it for climate, employment or for tax reasons.

He raced with the saltire on his helmet and never played down his scottishness, even though it may have made him more "acceptable" to our BBC and raised his profile, in the same way that Russell Brookes got more coverage than Jimmy McRae, and Jensen Button gets more coverage than Paul Di Resta.

I've got no issues with DC flying the flag from wherever he chooses to base himself.

If I was rich, I doubt I'd choose to base myself in West Lothian, but it makes me no less Scottish.

Don't get me wrong it's not because he is a Scot. Hamilton, Button, Connery etc are all as bad. Even the Beatles and the stones they all go on about how proud they are of there roots but as soon as they can avoid tax there off. Don't get me started on that sunglasses wearing hypocrite Bono.(but his Irish so is their problem)

I hope Coulthard and Stewart do put money into the Jim Clark venture, both have stated what an influence he was and Stewart was a friend of his.

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

If we all had that choice Monaco or Great Britain which would you choose.

As for Jackie Stewart he lost any real respect from me when he never attended any of my Memorial weekends to Jim Clark, for the last number of years down at Duns JC home town. As many of you know it was the 50th anniversary of JC and Lotus winning the F1 championship this year? I organised this year’s JC event again. We received great support from Lotus, Classic Team Lotus, Andy Middelhirst and Club Lotus. We had Jim’s two Type 25 race cars and his Cortina for the weekend.

I secured permission from the Local Police and council to close off the main road on the Sunday and race the cars up and down the street. We attracted 3500 people on the Sunday all who lined the street for the 2 hour demonstrations. We also had over 50 Lotus cars on show for the public to view. At the end of the run we drove in convoy 7 miles over to Chirnside church for a service and the laying of a wreath on the JC grave. The route was lined by many people all who watched and waited for the convoy of cars.

This weekend was the start of the celebrations for the year, Goodwood revival, Silverstone.

We of course did write to JS but the reply was he had something else on that weekend as all the other weekends he did not come to.

Now that they have seen the level of support for JC and what can be done it is interesting to see them come out of the wood work. The Jim Clark room in Duns also has seen a marked rise in visitors this year.

David Coulthard did a great piece for the BBC on JC and we also had support from Dario Franchitti.

Andrew

• Like 1

Tax is aways going to be problematic for those who will only have a few brief years to accumulate enough money for the rest of their lives. Tax law is such that unless they take great care, a very large chunk of their lifetime's earnings will be snaffled by the Government. Remember the days of a 90% tax rate? Going to live elsewhere is almost an essential in those circumstances, regardless of patriotism.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Sorry John but I can't agree with that. There are many profession's where you cannot continue into old age ( or even middle age ) but it does not mean you have to earn loads or avoid paying tax while you are working so you can live comfortably when you can no longer carry on. Most people in this position are not privileged to be able to do this & have to find alternative employment to see them through to retirement.

I get sick of hearing footballers, sports 'stars' etc  defending how much they earn with the excuse that they only have a relatively short working career, welcome to the real world where the majority of us live, if we can't continue doing the job we do we have no alternative than to find something else ?

Rant over.

P.s. Happy New Year to all :-)

My glass eye cries for the poor tax exile. The likes of the coulthard and jagger etc would not be exactly on the breadline if they paid their tax. I respect their talent, but do me a favour about how hard done by they are. I think coulthard owns a hotel in Monaco?

Andrew, I'm sorry to hear about the lack of support from JS I only recently watched a program where he was saying how much he missed him. As they say actions speak louder then words.

Amateurs built the Ark

He raced with the saltire on his helmet and never played down his scottishness, even though it may have made him more "acceptable" to our BBC and raised his profile, in the same way that Russell Brookes got more coverage than Jimmy McRae, and Jensen Button gets more coverage than Paul Di Resta.

And there was me thinking Jensen got more coverage than Paul Di Resta because Button was an ex-world champion and Di Resta hadn't won a GP yet.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Don't forget Clark spent some time as a tax exile when he lived with Jabby Crombac in Paris.

Kyle Kaulback

Sorry John but I can't agree with that. There are many profession's where you cannot continue into old age ( or even middle age ) but it does not mean you have to earn loads or avoid paying tax while you are working so you can live comfortably when you can no longer carry on. Most people in this position are not privileged to be able to do this & have to find alternative employment to see them through to retirement.

I get sick of hearing footballers, sports 'stars' etc  defending how much they earn with the excuse that they only have a relatively short working career, welcome to the real world where the majority of us live, if we can't continue doing the job we do we have no alternative than to find something else ?

Rant over.

P.s. Happy New Year to all :-)

So you'd be happy if 90% of your earnings was taken away, would you? I think not. Why would anyone willingly take a decision that impoverishes them? Would you go back to when footballers earned the "average wage of the working man"? ( In this instance, I'd agree with you!) I would suggest that, were you to find yourself in the position of those you decry, your decision would be less clear cut. Imagine looking back at 65 or 70, examining your finances and thinking "If only...." Even if you think you have planned sufficiently for retirement, governments have a way of moving the goalposts....to continue the footballing allegory.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

Sorry guys but I have to agree with the thought, work hard, earn it and bloody keep as much as you can. Why work your nuts off to get a better salary and then see at least half of it go to the powers in London to spend on whatever they feel like for that week, or whatever other impoverished country cries bankruptcy, whatever other country say to the their people, hey guys the border is now open in the UK, go forth and multiply. In the UK you can get everything you want and you can save your home country money.

I for one would sod off out of the UK if I was earning that kind of money and it has nothing to do with patriotism it's the simple fact of I do the work to earn a sufficient salary to carry me into my old age and why the hell should I have to give half of it over to some sod who has done nothing, earned nothing and deserves nothing. I know dozens of people who work outwith the UK tax system and all they do is set up a Ltd company to keep the greedy hands off their hard earned dosh, well done to them.

Rant over

Hi John, I think you've misunderstood me. My comments where aimed at your statement that people like DC have to earn large amounts of money over a short career so they need to keep as much of it as possible & pay as little in tax as it needs to last them when they can no longer do the job they used to. Many people cannot continue to do the type of work they do into old age but do not get paid ridiculous amounts to compensate them for the fact they will need to stop at an earlier age, nor are they allowed to pay less tax so they can retire early.

Most people have the tax taken at source ( & so have no choice in the matter ) & when they can no longer continue doing a particular job must find alternative employment to see them through to retirement. Lets face it if all these so called stars paid their fair share of tax they would hardly be destitute ? I'm not suggesting you tax the rich to the point where it isn't worth working hard but for people who earn in excess of £250K per week ( like footballers ) to say they have to live in tax free countries as they can only earn this type of money for a few short years doesn't wash with me.

Phil.

• Gold FFM

Hi Phill, I agree with your comments in the main, I was mainly speaking in reference to people who are in the same industry as myself who work a minimum of 15 hrs a day for maybe 30 to 40 days without a break then during their time off are still expected to carry out admin work from home unpaid but still make a good crust just for her majesty to take it in tax, hence my comments, sorry I didn't make myself very clear on that point but I for one would opt out of the UK tax scamming system in a flash.

The whole point of Tax being calculated as a percentage of wages is so that as you earn more, you pay more!

Where this tiered tax system comes from, I am not sure but considering someone who earns £100,000 a year will pay £22,000 tax at 22% and someone who earns £20,000 will pay £4400 why do you need to pay more? Never understood why the person who earn £100,000 has to be taxed 40%. Is it a jealousy tax?

Yes I know it's over simplified and you have to take out untaxable monies up to £10k or so, but it shows how unfair our system can be.

I have a company car which I absolutely MUST have to do my job, but since they got rid of the "essential user rebate" I now pay 40% tax on that as well!

Gah! I'd leave tomorrow if I could...and incidently, I am a proud "BRIT" not Englishman, Welshman or any mix of them. I'm British and proud of all of Britain.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

The whole point of Tax being calculated as a percentage of wages is so that as you earn more, you pay more!

Where this tiered tax system comes from, I am not sure but considering someone who earns £100,000 a year will pay £22,000 tax at 22% and someone who earns £20,000 will pay £4400 why do you need to pay more? Never understood why the person who earn £100,000 has to be taxed 40%. Is it a jealousy tax?

Yes I know it's over simplified and you have to take out untaxable monies up to £10k or so, but it shows how unfair our system can be.

I have a company car which I absolutely MUST have to do my job, but since they got rid of the "essential user rebate" I now pay 40% tax on that as well!

Gah! I'd leave tomorrow if I could...and incidently, I am a proud "BRIT" not Englishman, Welshman or any mix of them. I'm British and proud of all of Britain.

I agree with all the above, I'm forced to have a company car and forced to pay tax on it even if I don't use it privately.

I'd like to see a flat rate tax for all, surely it would save money in calculations for collection and make avoidance more difficult too.

A tiered tax system makes sense to me.  0% tax up to a certain amount as it makes no sense to tax someone who is working when they good get the same money on benefits tax-free.  Then you need a certain post-tax income to have a decent standard of living.  Then earning more is just spending money.  Of course, one may choose to spend that money on a better house, better car, better holidays, private health, private schools, etc. but it seems that when salaries exceed, say, 100,000 pounds the increases between salaries become bigger.  That is, if you are earning £25,000 a big increase is to £27,000 whereas if you earn £100,000 a big increase is going to £120,000 which is almost what the person in the first example earns in a year.

The other point is that wage scales are now based on a tiered tax system so going to a flat rate would effectively give high-earners a huge take-home pay increase.  I certainly don't agree that those who receive a golden parachute payment after being sacked for being a useless CEO or chairman of a company should pay the same rate of tax on that as someone who is slogging their heart out for £15,000 per year.

Getting back on topic, I was disappointed to read above about Jackie Stewart not attending as many Jim Clark events as he might have done, particularly as he always says how close they were.

Edited by USAndretti42

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• Gold FFM

The debate goes on. Why should I have to work a 16 hour shift knowing full well that I am only going to get paid for something like 10 hours of my labour. I start at 0500 every morning for a thirty day stint without a break, I have to wear the equivalent of a fireman's breathing apparatus all day with the exception of a 1 hour lunch break and I can assure you a 9 Lt BA set on your back all day is no lightweight. I like all the other guys in our industry work within the industry by choice and for the rewards which includes making a good salary which in turn gives my family a better standard of life but we also have to miss out on most of the birthdays, Christmas, anniversary's kids being ill and even family funerals. We accept this due to the benefits previously mentioned but I still don't see why I or any other who is doing a hard days graft in dangerous conditions should be taxed to the hilt and knowing that a good percentage of that tax is to allow more undesirables into the country to claim part of what I have slogged for. don't get me wrong I am not against immigration as a rule but why can people just jump on a bus and get what they are officially entitled to as per EU but my stepson who has studied hard but cant find a job in his chosen career (although he does work) cant get the same benefits. 

In the UK in 1974, the top rate of income tax was 83%. This meant that all wage increases had to take account of this, as if the annual income was raised by £100, the recipient would ony get £17...and wouldn't even notice it. Thus all salaries above a certain level were vastly inflated, so that the recipient would get sufficient benefit to reward them for their effort. Then, in the 1980s, the Thatcher government reduced the tax rates, to 60% in 1979 and 40% in 1988. This effectively gave the lucky supertax payers a considerable increase in disposable income...and they all went out and bought toys...electronic consumer goods from Japan and other Eastern sources and foreign cars.... Of course, that did for the balance of payments, especially when combined with the loss of UK production capacity and thus exports. So, going from a tiered system to a flat-rate system has, in effect, happened before...and it wasn't good. We've even had the nonsense of linking pay rises directly to inflation...my income nearly doubled in a year, although I couldn't buy any more with it than I could when the lunacy started. 

And there was me thinking Jensen got more coverage than Paul Di Resta because Button was an ex-world champion and Di Resta hadn't won a GP yet.

Button got a disproportionate amount of BBC coverage for years before he was a world champion, when there were other non-English British drivers closer to the front of the grid. Button was a backmarker/midfield runner and in the same grids as DC, yet it was Button who was the one that got all the BBC airtime. Button took about 6 years to win a GP, during which time Coulthard was a regular on the podium.

My observation is that the BBC will favour English competitors in their coverage - from Russell Brookes over Jimmy McCrae in the rallying (and more recently Richard Burns over Colin McCrae), Tim Henman over Andy Murray in Tennis, Jimmy White/Ronnie O'Sullivan over Stephen Hendry/John Higgins in the snooker and Button over Coulthard/Di Resta in F1. This isn't an anti-English rant, its just an observation that where the BBC is concerned there is an agenda to cover the English sportsman first, and if they don't have one of them, they will look for the Welshman/Scotsman or Northern Irishman. It doesn't matter if the non-English British guy is more successful, they will look at them after their headline Englishman - the snooker coverage being the most blatent when it was a Scotsman that was the World Champion year after year.

Shouldn't be the case as we all pay a BBC licence fee in all corners of the British Isles. Can you imagine the jizz fest they would have had if it was Tim Henman rather than Andy Murray that actually won Wimbeldon?

• Gold FFM

Totally agree Duncan, I think the best ones I heard was when Murray lost a game and on the news it was Scotsman loses again then when he won Wimbledon it was great English tennis player wins Wimbledon. when Jackie Stewart won a GP it was Great Britain wins again, when he lost the headline was, Scot falls just short.

If we all had that choice Monaco or Great Britain which would you choose.

As for Jackie Stewart he lost any real respect from me when he never attended any of my Memorial weekends to Jim Clark, for the last number of years down at Duns JC home town. As many of you know it was the 50th anniversary of JC and Lotus winning the F1 championship this year? I organised this year’s JC event again. We received great support from Lotus, Classic Team Lotus, Andy Middelhirst and Club Lotus. We had Jim’s two Type 25 race cars and his Cortina for the weekend.

I secured permission from the Local Police and council to close off the main road on the Sunday and race the cars up and down the street. We attracted 3500 people on the Sunday all who lined the street for the 2 hour demonstrations. We also had over 50 Lotus cars on show for the public to view. At the end of the run we drove in convoy 7 miles over to Chirnside church for a service and the laying of a wreath on the JC grave. The route was lined by many people all who watched and waited for the convoy of cars.

This weekend was the start of the celebrations for the year, Goodwood revival, Silverstone.

We of course did write to JS but the reply was he had something else on that weekend as all the other weekends he did not come to.

Now that they have seen the level of support for JC and what can be done it is interesting to see them come out of the wood work. The Jim Clark room in Duns also has seen a marked rise in visitors this year.

David Coulthard did a great piece for the BBC on JC and we also had support from Dario Franchitti.

Andrew

The cynic in me says that should you have said Rolex was sponsoring the event, and HRH The Princess Royal was in attendance the response from JYS may have been different.

Edited by Derek
  • Like 1

You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unwelcome season.