free hit
counters
Is the Evora still rare? - Page 4 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Is the Evora still rare?

auRouge

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

and your underwear no doubt! We didn't even get out of third gear :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

We went to dinner the other day with my Wife's boss.  He used to own an Exige a while back and has just bought a new CLS AMG.  I asked him if he had considered buying an Evora as an option and he said he'd never heard of it.  I was like whaaat!?!  That made me think of this thread :(.

The Evora was the start of an exciting era for Lotus.

So many fantastic new ideas under DB. It's an unfinished project waiting to be resurrected in the right hands.

Wish a bigger player would buy Lotus of DRB and then give the "keys" back to Danny and let him finish what he started!

Flamboyant and charismatic leader who had his faults but also had a clear vision of what to do with Lotus. The Evora project is an amazing start to what should have been more Lotus Cars back on our roads.

Gotta spend it to earn it!!

Edited by auRouge

I was queuing behind a guy with a lotus jacket on to get I to the NEC show. Turned out he had an Esprit as did his friend. Both thought the Evora had a 1.8 Toyota lump in it.

Every add for the Evora should have an Esprit in the background.

Oh, yeah, what add?

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

With the best will in the world, the Evora, as it stands, is virtually dead in the water. It's only serious exposure to the general motoring public was around its launch in 2009: the first genuinely new Lotus in almost fifteen years. Said exposure was repeated to a lesser degree with the Evora S.

The raft of improvements for the 2012 models seemed to split opinion between those who praised Lotus and those who pointed out that the car should not have been launched with so many quality issues in the first place. Some disastrous televisual PR was twice provided by Top Gear. Once when the car appeared to be found lacking in a powersliding precision test (interior trim falling off the car during J Clarkson's time driving) and even more so when it was obliterated in a race by the cheaper Cayman and BMW 1M, cars which the figures suggest that the Evora should be as fast as if not faster than. It's easy for Lotus fans to say that Lotus cars are not about outright pace but, like it or lump it, Top Gear is watched by millions who form perceptions based upon what they see. Other pace-comparison videos on YouTube don't exactly help the case.

As I've stated before - personally, I adore the Evora but I've loved Lotus since I was a little lad watching James Bond take his Esprit for a dip in the ocean. For the general public, however, it's virtually invisible, and that's not surprising given that Lotus has only sold a little over 450 Evoras in the UK since launch. I've only ever seen one on the roads during all my travels. Further interest must have been lost with the cancellation of the Roadster and GTE models; they, at least, did seem to garner serious public enthusiasm! The Sports Racer versions look great to me but all we saw was a momentary glimpse in the press and nowadays it is a five year old model competing with rivals who consistently update and improve. It's not in the same situation as the Elise which has few competitors, given its niche in the marketplace.

I hate to sound like I'm Lotus-bashing; I can't stress enough how much I admire what they've achieved on the tightest of budgets. However, I just don't see what could possibly be done with the current model to impact sales. If they sold it for another five years and doubled sales, it would still only sell another 900 - a sum total of around 1350 or so in a decade.

Although I, personally, would be gutted to lose the Evora, I can't help but believe that their best chance would be to drop the underpinnings into another body, add a little more power and re-launch under a new name. Whether the cost of doing that could be confidently justified is another matter; when sales for the Evora have been so low, the business case would surely be on shaky ground.

Edited by Bee

Yup, use the underpinnings for an ÉLAN as a dedicated everyday 2 seat option coupe and revise the Evora as there 2 + 2 with more power.

Elise

Exige

Élan

Evora

Esprit (one day!)

and put Scott Walker in charge of marketing!

http://youtu.be/t3zTHQfJQoM

Love this. It sums it up well. Just cool.

100% agree with the TopGear argument. Sad but a reality!

At the end of the vid is a v e r y important sentence displayed:

"A test drive is a must"

can´t agree more - Lotus, please bring people to learn more about the Evora by making a test drive! - That would be very helpful, the extreme qualities of the ride are most impressive on a test drive!  

Edited by Snoopy1969

Absolutely 100%... I was driving mine back from London today rain pouring, wind blowing, lousy conditions all round the car was comfortable, stable, didn't miss a beat... yet it's an incredible performer when conditions allow. A TRUE everyday Lotus... yet hardly anyone knows what it is.

Dany misread the car when he took over and realised the error of his ways in time to be shown the door by the new owners. I can't help but wonder how much Lotus would've pushed the car if DRB hadn't taken over.

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched an episode of Fifth Gear celebrating the AM DB5... Only 1059 made. They cost £4,175 in 1963 which was almost twice the price of an average house!

Now the Lotus Evora is no Aston Martin DB5. But like it or not this thread has proved that the Evora is currently one of the worlds most exclusive car ownership prospects, a benefit that is usually reserved for cars with a six figure purchase price!!

Whilst this doesn't help Lotus Cars, it's rather nice driving something that ticks every box that nobody else has and is well received wherever you are.

It's a very rare car, another unpredicted surprising quality of owning one.

8EC67BBA-1EC1-48E5-9A2D-1E34530049D1_zps

Chuffed to bits every day I see it parked on my driveway :-)

Edited by Bibs

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

You leave a car that rare outside!!! :o

I know, no excuse I'm afraid.

I use it everyday so it gets covered anyway. But in the long term a cover/garage will help. I've never kept a car for more than a couple of years so never been an issue. However I can't see myself selling this one so a garage is needed!

In the mean time one of those covers looks tempting Bibs. Will it scratch the car if it was dirty and the wind was blowing at 80mph as it has recently? Would be good for when I'm away and leave the car for a few days or holidays. Not a bad price either ;-)

Edited by auRouge

Any cover will scratch the car if it's dirty mate, this one less as it has under body straps to secure it but it'll still move in a strong wind and they're tailor made so a decent fit with elasticated corners. If the car was dirty I'd not put the cover on, it's not like it's dong anything anyway! 

From the factory:

Q: Will the cover scratch my car?
A: No, as long as you following the fitting instructions enclosed and make sure the car is clean before you fit the cover.

Evora NA

Yes - definitely. Every time I drive it at least one person stops walking and turns around to stare. Last year I went to the Goodwood Supercar Breakfast and there were less Evoras than 12Cs which made me smile as I was with my uncle who has a 12C spider. Told him to get something a bit less common!

• Like 1

"Simplify, then add lightness”

Yup, use the underpinnings for an ÉLAN as a dedicated everyday 2 seat option coupe and revise the Evora as there 2 + 2 with more power.

Elise

Exige

Élan

Evora

Esprit (one day!)

and put Scott Walker in charge of marketing!

http://youtu.be/t3zTHQfJQoM

Love this. It sums it up well. Just cool.

100% agree with the TopGear argument. Sad but a reality!

Put Scott Walker in charge of marketing if it is an Esprit. Talk to him and it is the only Lotus he seems to rate.

C43

Why stop there? Put Scott in charge of the entire company...  :unworthy:

Meanwhile I noticed there's only 30 Evoras on Pistonheads right now, on past occasions when I've had a peek there's usually been 50-60, I guess they're still rare then!  

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

Why stop there? Put Scott in charge of the entire company... :unworthy:

Meanwhile I noticed there's only 30 Evoras on Pistonheads right now, on past occasions when I've had a peek there's usually been 50-60, I guess they're still rare then!

Very few NA's available. Hardly any of the earlier launch editions or 2010's out there, all been snapped up!

How many in the rest of the world? Anyone know..? Few in Australia... How many in the US?

There are 13 on LFS which is about average for us I think...

http://www.lotusforsale.com/ad-category/cars/evora/

Evora NA

• 2 weeks later...

EVO's take on it:-

"The Evora was a big deal for Lotus. The biggest investment in the company’s history, a car conceived to go head-to-head with the likes of Porsche’s Cayman and 911 with no excuses needed. With a 276bhp Toyota 3.5-litre V6, Lotus’s proven aluminium chassis technology and world-leading ride-and-handling know-how, it promised junior-supercar dynamics. And with more refinement and the option of two-plus-two seating, it also promised to take the Lotus brand to a whole new audience. Projected sales were 2000 a year worldwide.

It didn’t work out quite like that. When the Evora went on sale in early autumn 2009, it looked pricey for the performance – not helped by the 450 Launch Editions only being available fully optioned-up, inflating the basic £47,500 to a bracing £59k. Sales were steady at best – around 400 a year in the UK at their peak, with a similar number going overseas."

Is this really true? You couldn't buy a NA Evora for less than £59k? It's a cracking car but £59k... £10k too much perhaps?

I once made a similar mistake on selling a house.. Listened to the agents and builders too much and over priced it. 2 months later I dropped the price to what we all knew it was worth and hey presto, gone!

This thread has gone down the marketing route but maybe it was simply too expensive for the brand at that time. The "price" is also a factor I think the bean counters screwed up... Rare because it was just too expensive?

It was quite a big deal when they announced all the LE cars were to be fully specced. I even had a call from MJK asking for the reaction as he was worried about it. Not cheap, would have sold a lot more at the initial price as sub-50k sounds like quite a bit less than almost-60k!

Evora NA

I didn't appreciate this fact before.

So a potential buyer gets motivated/excited reading about Lotus's new sports car with cutting edge dynamics and then reassured by it being the Ecoty and TG's benchmark in ride quality only to then be told it's a £60k car not a £47,500 car :-( LE should have on the contrary been sold at cost to get them out there!

LE should have on the contrary been sold at cost to get them out there!

That was probably the issue. At 47,500 it would have been sold (way) below cost. 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower!