free hit
counters
V8 Starter Motor Help! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
marcdando

V8 Starter Motor Help!

I have just got my V8GT back from having cam belt, new cats and both turbos reconditioned and when starting it turned over very slowly for 2 days I thought my battery may be damaged or just in need of a full charge which I did but today had the same problem except on the second start not even a click or turnover at all. Electrics seem ok, lights etc and with the help of a very enthusiastic AA man the car tow started easily and ran fine. Seems to me that it must be the starter motor as the battery retained a full charge.

If anyone has any other ideas for me to investigate please feel free to let me know.

Marc :(

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
I have just got my V8GT back from having cam belt, new cats and both turbos reconditioned and when starting it turned over very slowly for 2 days I thought my battery may be damaged or just in need of a full charge which I did but today had the same problem except on the second start not even a click or turnover at all. Electrics seem ok, lights etc and with the help of a very enthusiastic AA man the car tow started easily and ran fine. Seems to me that it must be the starter motor as the battery retained a full charge.

If anyone has any other ideas for me to investigate please feel free to let me know.

Marc :(

All connections from battery to Starter motor (although you'd need to take the Plenum off to get at connections directly onto starter - the starter sits in the middle of the V).

Or earthing to engine block. The engine might run fine but its the Starter that pulls the big amps which is when a poor earth is most likely to cause problems. I had that problem on an MG's 'A' series engine turned out it was just that the earth strap was on the gear box side of the bell chamber and not the engine block side. Twelve months of intermittent problems fixed by looking back at a load of photos I took before I rebuilt the car.

Can you let the garage have it back. I'd think they might well feel obligation to investigate and identify the problem for free as they may well have caused the problem themselves.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Good idea to check out. Lakeside Engineering who did the work are going to look at it for me in the morning and so here's hoping it could be an earth problem. Unfortunately they can't do a starter replacement in time for Sunday :( But on the bright side at least we have a "stevens" Elan to go up in :( thanks again for suggestions.

Marc

Marc

Sounds exactly like a problem I had. Turned out the drain holes on the starter motor had filled up with road crud and grim thus blocking the starter from getting rid of any excess moisture. Had to re-condition the starter motor :D

Hope it's just a lead loose

Regards

Steve

Marc

Sounds exactly like a problem I had. Turned out the drain holes on the starter motor had filled up with road crud and grim thus blocking the starter from getting rid of any excess moisture. Had to re-condition the starter motor :D

Hope it's just a lead loose

Regards

Steve

Well, turns out it was the starter motor and I have to give Max at Lakeside Engineering a massive thank you as he spent today in the pouring rain fitting a new one. Last night at 6.30 it seemed that Hethel was a long way away, but thanks to Max we will be on the road on Sunday so see you all there. :D

Marc :D Marc be happy to help..Ex Auto Spark...ring if you wish 01446 796595...it sounds like an Earth fault...Has the Engine been out with the work..?

The main Red battery terminal has two cores..one is the Starter Motor the other the car its self...the earth leads are bolted to the sump o/s side think...

Of course the Starter is under the Plenum..so does not come off easy....

The Battery should be charged for at least 8-10 hours at around 5-7 amps..to be fully charged...stand over night best...test voltage should be around 12.5v or slightly higher at 12.75 ...this does not prove battery is good...it needs a drop test....which is a heavy discharge test.

the test is carried out with a voltmeter measuring the voltage must be 9volts for 10 seconds..chow Rob

[email protected] or 07976 609881

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and help. Beers on me on Sunday (look out for the 2 people without event t-shirts as we missed the order cut-off). My partner Sally suggested I call Bell and Colvill today to see if they had a starter motor and in my black mist :D I just nodded, "yeah right, no way they will have one". But called Paul up at B&C and it was meant to be as Lotus had sent them a V8 starter by mistake.....

Thanks again.