free hit
counters
tyre sugestions? - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

tyre sugestions?

Thanks guys.

I know that to drive the car as it is intended, one must go to a larger wheel if you want a high rated tires. 

You just can't go back to the 70's low profile tires of the day ( 60 series ) as they aren't available. Most anyone knows that the reason for the up rated tires ( mine is z rated ) is for integrity and the capability to handle the heat generated under high cornering so a lesser tire would not be advised if one is going to take advantage of the extreme cornering capability of these amazing cars. Why else do you buy one ?

Really over looked, even by Lotus enthusiastic, the Lotus factory claimed  the Elite  would out corner an Europe by 10%!  And it so well balance it makes you a better and safer driver.

I have had mine close to the limit a few times but it is kind of difficult to find as it is so much faster than most cars are capable of and most people are afraid to push it that hard. This make the car very comfortable to drive fast without coming close to the limit and very enjoyable. With the right tires one can push with confidence and put a smile on your face and others that is hard to wipe off. lol

I found that the front tires can NOT be increased without a larger offset ( and this would probably mess up the geometry ) as the inner finder is fixed so my 45 series 16 wheels enable one to use the original max width of 205 mm. There just isn't room of any larger. I also think the larger wheels fit the car better but that is just my opinion.  

The real fun comes on the road with the Elite. Great road manners !!

Richard

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I understand why everbody seems to want wider and stickier tyres but how about narrower with less grip?

Surely that would be more fun with a great handling car like the Eclat/Elite?

The period road tester that had the most fun had a Sprint with 13" wheels and 185 wide tyres!

Yes - that is true - there is huge fun to be had on a track or an empty road with a driver who knows what he is doing.

Faster safe cornering however, is a different matter.

On a car like Richard's he also has the issue of getting traction when he boots it out of the corner as he runs twice the torque of the standard car. The standard 205's struggle to put it down.

• Like 1

Porsche as a service to its classic owners, regular tests currently available tires to suit older models.

Their point is that modern tires with their increased grip can overwhelm old suspension designs leading to unsafe loads, irregular wear, and even breakages.

Wider wheels combined with modern tires can lead to even greater loads, further stressing the suspension.

Or so the thinking goes at Porsche:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2014/09/23/what-tires-are-best-for-your-vintage-911-porsche-classic-has-an-answer/

- David

Oups... Haven't noticed that I have forgotten to tell which tyres are now on: Kenda Kaiser 20 in 205/60/14 88V :)

Grip in the dry: better than good :) in the wet: again better than good. Suits the car very well and seems to be matched to the handling abilities of the car. No compare to the crap Dunlop S9000 for the Excel. In every case superior to this awfull tire.

• Like 2

It is good to hear some good real world feedback on the Kenda, which I believe is the only V rated tyre currently available in Europe in a 205 60 14.

Some internet reviews on the net (when fitted to other cars) were not that positive, so it is good to hear a satisfied owner who is actually using these tyres on a Lotus and is happy with their grip levels.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

I guess we will find out in a while in the HSCC 70's roadsports class. (build pending - still accumulating bits)

Race prepped cars are different from comparing showroom offerings, but Dan has probably shared a track with one at some point in his blue meanie?

Personally, I can believe the 20% cornering force claims. - 7 inches rubber vs 5.5inch and what appears to be a similar(ish) centre of gravity? I've yet to find someone willing to hand over the keys to their Europa to allow me to check (Please Bauke!) ;)

You don't like the way your eclat hangs on in the faster corners?

The Eclat handles delightfully, and I think a bit better than the Excel SE that I used to have which was heavier, but the sheer tinyness of the Europa and the mid engined layout seemed to me, subjectively, to give it a slight edge. 

The only affordable 1970*s cars that I know of that handle nearly as well as 1970s Lotuses are Lancia Betas. 

* including early 1980s

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Have a look at my old esprit (really wish I still had that car, gutted!) Anyway those tyres where cheap and excellent, toyo 350 on the front and toyo teo on the rear, 14" you can still get these from most onlne tyre suppliers. I spent hours hunting these tyres down as the have a retro tyre pattern and really suited the car.

http://mediaslice.net/LotusEspritS2.htm

Can't remember what rating they were, is he building race car, I admit I didn't really read the whole thread ? If you're not racing and want a good tyre for fast road use, I thought they were excellent. And yes, sorry they were 195s.

Edited by CharlieCroker

• 2 months later...

Because there are no high rated 60 series tires, I bought some larger wheels ( 16 inch ) and found plenty of z rated tires of which I bought Dunlap SP 8000. Not sure if they are still available but that is the only option that I could figure out was doable as I drive hard in the corners. Here is what I got and how they look.

.http://www.britishv8.org/Other/RichardNorman.htm

I had to go with 45 series and upped the width on the back to 225 but the fronts stay the same 205 as there isn't any more room for any larger tires. One wouldn't need larger in the back but I have a lot more power so I thought it was a good idea

Richard

love these tires as they are very good not only in the wet but also the dry 

• 1 month later...

Coker Tire here in the US makes a copy of the Michelin XWX in 205/70-14 VR-rated which really looks the business.

They claim modern construction and modern rubber built in original Michelin molds under license.

I haven't used them, they cost $440 each so pretty expensive just to try!

But an option for someone with deep pockets.

- David

• 4 months later...

Looks like the Nexen CP641 are now unavailable :(

Looks like our choices for 205/60 R14 tyres are now:

Falken 279395 Ziex ZE912 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Falken-279395-Efficiency-External-Db-Summer/dp/B0043QSOG4)

And from http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?s_p=Summer%20tyres-205-60-R-14-H&one_size=205_60_R_14&dsco=110&m_s=3&sowigan=So&kategorie=6&ranzahl=4&Speed=H&suchen=1:

Nankang NS-2

Nankang XR611

Federal SS-595

Maxxis MA-510E

Kenda KR20 

Anyone have any more to add to the list?

I have Nexen Roadstones on my S4 and am very happy with them. I will be changing the fronts shortly as a misalignment stuffed the front right and it keeps on giving me problems now. I found them to be fine in the wet , but I have a suspicion that they get harder as they get older. Only talking 5 years.

Yes, I know. I don't do a lot of kilometres.

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.