free hit
counters
No Claims Discount Clarification - Lotus Insurance - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

No Claims Discount Clarification

peteyg

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone who knows about this insurance stuff can clarify this. Is NCD based on the car or the driver?

I had a prang in the wife's car where I was insured as the Main Driver so NCD was reduced on that policy. My car (Alfa), different policy, can I still claim full NCD as I haven't pranged this car? Same goes with the Esprit which again is on a different policy.

I'm confused...

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Driver - You have to declare any accidents or claims in the last 5 years no matter who was at fault. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Yeah, Classic policies are really cheap (in comparison to normal cars) so don't attract NCD

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

think protected no claims is only applicable to the company that covers it i.e is not transfereable.

Pete it will also affect any policy on which you are a named drive and although there is no ncd on classic car insurance they are likely to load the policy in some way

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

think protected no claims is only applicable to the company that covers it i.e is not transfereable.

Pete it will also affect any policy on which you are a named drive and although there is no ncd on classic car insurance they are likely to load the policy in some way

No you can transfer NCB. At worst you need a letter from the insurance company stating you are accident free but the last time I changed it was all available on the insurance database so the new company could see my years of NCB.

The difference is.

Protected NCB: You retain the maximum discount rate but get weighted (if appropriate for having been involved in a collision.

Standard NCB: You get weighted as above, but move back two years of NCB also.

This is what happened to me on a standard policy with fully protected NCD.  So despite being able to prove 18 years NCD or something (Not that they care over 5) and always paying for protected, which is about 10% more generally if you ask at renewal, my renewal was still up by a couple of hundred  pounds or fairly hefty % as jumped about 350 to 600.  

Then when I came to re-insure the other family car which is also in my name but not as main driver it also went up based on my driving record although it too was max no claims and some 12 years or so.  It wouldn't have mattered even if policy had been in wife's name with me as named as I asked.  

Both my grown up kids ironically have my missus on their policies for sports cars as a named driver although they no longer live at home and she only will drive their cars once in a blue moon, as it reduces their policies having a shared driver and female with clean driving record.

The NCD runs with the car because unless you get an introductory offer try buying a new car and adding to the number of vehicles insured.  The new car starts at 0 years although you usually can get a few years or % offered if you have other cars with high NCD's.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009