free hit
counters
I think I have ruined my car - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I think I have ruined my car

Nelly

• Gold FFM

How did this one pan out, I am having the same issues with a replacement water pump, but mine was easy to see as a trace of water coming rom the pump shaft, it's only 8 months old but the car had been sitting about for too long. Another new pump just purchased from PNM and hope to have it on this week. Like your car mine has been a long drawn out affair but it is so close now I am just NOT going to give up, although many times I felt like a gallon of petrol and a match would have been a good cure.

Keep the faith, the first drive will bring back the smiles with the miles.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sounds like we have had very similar experiences John.  I can't see any coolant leaking.  I won't know how it pans out for a couple of weeks but will let you know.

I did try the "burping" last year when the overheating first started, but must admit not tried it since the recon pump went on (although yesterday would have been my first opportunity).

• Gold FFM

Get the back end up on a good jack as high as you can, get her up to temperature and bleed her off again, it can take forever to get all the air out. I noticed the comment from Peter regarding the pump that was fitted, but as I mentioned earlier, how long has the car been sitting idle etc as I know for sure the pump I fitted was new but after about 8 months of being on the car and only occasionaly started it started leaking through the shaft seal. I also had the happen with an excell that had sat about for about a year but hopefully it's just an air lock.

Current pump went on September last year.

I had the car off the road for three years with no issues on the previous pump.

Just got back from dropping the car at Sportomotive, Dave there thought it may be an airlock so fingers crossed that's all it is.

I have to say though that having finally got the car going yesterday she is starting easily, so some of the good work done last year is proving its worth.  I am certainly looking forward to getting her back! 

• Like 1

All the waterpump is, is a simple shaft with a pulley on one end and an impeller on the other. The shaft runs in a plain bearing with a carbon seal to stop the water getting out....the only thing that fails is the seal, causing the pump to leak. It will still pump. I suppose it is barely possible that the shaft isn't rotating the impeller....but the odds of that happening must be worse than winning the Euromillions jackpot. If you have no water circulating.....either there's no water in it..(!)...there's something wrong with the pipework...you are fooling yourself because the thermostat hasn't opened.....the thermostat has failed shut, and the radiator isn't warming up because of that...or there's an airlock. The pump will not have failed. If you have an air vent on the radiator (usually on the LH side under a cover in the front boot) you should always fill the system with this open...closing it only when there is a flow of water/coolant coming out. Also, when filling, disconnect the heater supply from the back of the cylinder head, and replace that when the coolant comes out. This way you minimise the chance of an airlock. Then run the engine until the thermostat opens, open the bleed valve on the radiator again, and close it when you have a bubble free flow of coolant. At this point, all should be well.....allow the engine to cool and refill the header tank until the level is about 2" below the neck. Too much coolant will just be expelled....

Also, jacking up the back of the car isn't going to help bleed the radiator and it's associated pipework, as the air in the system will tend to go to the back of the car when it's the radiator that needs bleeding! Any air in the radiator will still be there if you jack up the rear...it will rise to the highest point it can get to, and the pipework is such that it can't get to the rear of the car.

I've just gone back and read about your engine run. Sounds to me like the thermostat has failed....that would be the first thing I'd check. Don't know abut S2s...but my 82 turbo has a thermostat whoch looks like a tin human heart living down in the bowels of the chassis, at the front right of the engine. It's a bugger to get at....but it'll be the first thing to check!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

When i rebuilt my engine, the temperature gauge shot up into the red so as has been said I bled the radiator a number of times having got the temperature up and also put the heater on full blast on hot. Initially no heat came from the heater but it then blasted out hot air. At this point I stopped the bleeding and everything has been fine since. 

John - Did the thermostat before I did the waterpump, so I either got a dodgy one or its not that.  But you are right, its a pain to get to!

When running the car yesterday, we were putting a fair amount of water in the car so it certainly wasn't empty.  Before I started the car up there was coolant in the header tank, so it would appear to me as though it was holding it and there was not a leak.

I can't test the radiator bleeding as I don't have the car now, but I hope it is a nice easy solution like this.

Thanks again for all the info and replies.

S2s don't have a bleed screw on the radiators AFAIK, at least mine doesn't but you do have a different rad.

Worth a check but I'm sure Sportomotive will sort it out whilst they have it.

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Mine does Pete (I have the smaller vertical rad), but I didn't have the benefit of Johns very good explaination above.  That would have been this weekends job otherwise!

Sporto are going to look at it with a view to being an airlock so hopefully its a small simple job.  After the journey I have had with the car an hours labour for them to do this is no great shakes.

I am getting close to driving up to see you!!!!!

Edited by Nelly9000

• 2 weeks later...

Update time - and as of 5:30 this afternoon it was all going swimmingly.

Picked the car up from Sportomotive at 4:00 this afternoon.  Airlock was looking the likely problem, and it looks as though my replacement hose work on the cooling system was not the best and there were some leaks.  They also said the temp sender was not reading right (odd, it was a brand new unit from SJ) and the guage was reading over 130 even when the engine was not up to temperature (using a laser thermometer to check).  Did some work on the brakes and another couple of small jobs as well as a service.  Seemed the head gasket had survived!

Drove the car back to where I work in Southampton, the car at a steady 75 degrees.  Happy days.  Left work, took the long way home to avoid the traffic. All was well until I got 5 minutes form home, heard "a noise" and at that point the temp guage headed north very quickly.  Pulled over, let her cool down, got some water from a friendly lady and then nursed the car the remaining distance to my house, the temp hitting just over 90 as I got on the drive.

A workman digging the road up down the road walked past, picked up the header cap, sniffed it and declared that he worked on engines, smells like a head gasket.

| will have another look tomorrow but for now its very unlikely I will be bringing her to Brooklands on Sunday as I had planned, so Elise it is.

So it was fine for an hour, and then let go.  I probably had the best hour I have had with the car up until that point.

Feel free to mention anything else you think it may be but I could now be facing worst case scenario.  If that happens, I probably can;t afford to keep the car but we will cross that bridge when it happens.

It was such a good afternoon until that point.

Edited by Nelly9000

You've popped a hose somewhere. My bet is the inlet hose to the waterpump...or the bleed hose from the water rail on the cylinder head. Unless you have clouds of steam coming out of the exhaust, and water squirting out like a firepump, the head gasket is likely still OK. Need to put water in it, run the engine and see where it's coming out....torches, lead lights, mirrors, all sorts of visual aids!!  A nice job to keep you busy over Easter...but not likely to be too dreadful. I've had that hose come off on the Kingston Bypass and replaced it, stopped on the pavement, blagging water from a kind lady as you did....you meet the nicest people that way!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Yeah I thought that too John - the fact I had a noise rather than an instant failure leads me to think maybe a jubilee clip had failed and popped off.

I forgot to mention the header tank was empty and there was a small puddle under the car which I am pretty sure was from the header tank hose.

OK had a look at the car this afternoon, wasn't too hard to see what the problem was - the hub had come off the water pump.

I haven't located it (along with the plate for the belt) although it could be in the chassis somewhere - I re-traced my footsteps in the Elise this afternoon to see if it was lurking in the gutter somewhere.

This as an SJ Sportscars refurb item, and failed in less than 100 miles.  I will be e-mailing Steve on Tuesday.

cripes you poor bugger you could not make up all the probs you have had it's almost unbelievable you have my sympathies andy b

Perhaps as Bibs has suggested but I have in the back of my mind a problem on one or the SJ recon pumps in the past, worth checking.

Trevor.

I rest my case :-) see you tomorrow.

Trevor..

I'll get around to it at some point.

So who's the best bet for a refurb then? Mine needs doing, and was just about to go to SJ, as I seem to recall some issues with Lotusbits refurb mentioned on here.

Any bad feedback on PNM refurbs? Better to do it myself??

Thanks, Dave

• Gold FFM

I have had a couple of refurbs from PNM now and not had any problems, but I do know a mate had one done and it had the wrong setting on the pulley but that could be a simple mistake.

Its now just the aggro of having to take the pump off again and all that goes with it.  I had help in getting the cambelt and alternator off the car before.

I feel like the weather today (i.e lousy), didn't make it to the TLF meet as a result so even if the car was ready it still wouldn't have happened.