free hit
counters
Trick to removing the oil filter? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Trick to removing the oil filter?

Wedgetable

Hello all,

New owner of an S1 and am wondering if there is any trick to changing out the oil filter on the 907 without taking apart the surrounding carbs and/or making a huge mess when/if the oil flows out the filter once detatched.

Any tips appreciated!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hello,

First, do you have the correct filter?   There should be room to unscrew it without interfering with the starter.   Lately I've seen a few S1s with a filter that was too long.  

Second, try to prime the filter as much as you can before installing it.  It will take a couple of seconds off of how long the engine runs with no oil pressure when you go to start it.

Third, yes:  un-clip and remove the airbox cover and place it and the trunking out of the way.  You should be able to reach the filter then. 

Fourth, wipe the filter down with a rag soaked in alcohol or carb cleaner or similar to get all of the oil off of it.  You can grip it better with your hands then.

Fifth, just take a whole bunch of paper towels and/or shop rags and place them on the engine under the filter and further downstream from where the oil will spill.

Cheers,

Tony K.   :)

• Like 1

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

without taking apart the surrounding carbs and/or making a huge mess when/if the oil flows out the filter once detatched.

After draining the oil leave it stand overnight before removing the filter, this will allow the oil in it to run out through the main bearings, that way you won't make a mess when you remove it.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

K&N Filters have a 'nut' welded to the top which makes them easier to remove.

John - I'm not sure the oil remaining in the filter would run out - especially if the filter has (and no-one should fit one without) a non-return valve.

John - I'm not sure the oil remaining in the filter would run out - especially if the filter has (and no-one should fit one without) a non-return valve.

The non return valve stops the oil from running back out the way it came, from the pump. There is no valve stopping the oil from getting to the bearings, it would be great for pressure but not very good for lubrication.

Cheers,

John W

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John, sorry for being so dense, but I still don't understand why the oil (or most of it at least) wouldn't just flow back to the sump (via bearings etc).

Apart from what stays in the filter, and a little around the pump etc.

For example, when I check the oil level (with the engine hot), I only have to leave it 5mins for the oil to return to the sump.

As such, even re-checking it an hour later makes no difference to the level on the dipstick.

• 3 weeks later...

but I still don't understand why the oil (or most of it at least) wouldn't just flow back to the sump (via bearings etc).

It does, that's the point I'm making. Overnight the oil in the filter drains out allowing you to remove the mostly empty filter without making a mess.

Cheers,

John W

• 3 weeks later...

John, I know what you are saying, but from my experience it only takes a short time for most the oil to return to the sump. I'm talking minutes.

So leaving over night would not result in any more oil finding its way back there.

Especially once the engine had cooled and the oil viscocity had increased.

Looks like we'll agree to disagree on this one :)

Paul, this whole discussion started with:

Hello all,

New owner of an S1 and am wondering if there is any trick to changing out the oil filter on the 907 without taking apart the surrounding carbs and/or making a huge mess when/if the oil flows out the filter once detatched.

Any tips appreciated!

To which I said:

"After draining the oil leave it stand overnight before removing the filter, this will allow the oil in it to run out through the main bearings, that way you won't make a mess when you remove it. "

To which you replied:

"John - I'm not sure the oil remaining in the filter would run out - especially if the filter has (and no-one should fit one without) a non-return valve." 

So, now we're agreed the oil will run out & leaving it overnight will avoid the mess of removing it immediately.  :wallbash: 

Excellent.  :thumbsup: 

Cheers,

John W

I done an oil change about 2 weeks ago and done as John said and left it draining over night. The oil was still dribbling out of the sump when I went to bed although very small amounts.When I removed the filter there was very little oil spilt. 

And that dripping before you went to bed was the filter emptying & it had stopped the next morning because the filter was empty so none was spilt when you removed it.  :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

That valve has no effect unless the filter is mounted pointing down. It was just the oil in the bottom of the filter lower than the centre drain. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Easiest way to avoid all the mess is to bag it. Get the filter slightly loose so it can be undone by hand. Grab an old plastic shopping bag and place it over the filter and housing. Undo the filter with the bag around it and let the oil drain into the bag. Remove filter still inside bag, seal and dispose of. Simple really.

Paul, this whole discussion started with:

To which I said:

"After draining the oil leave it stand overnight before removing the filter, this will allow the oil in it to run out through the main bearings, that way you won't make a mess when you remove it. "

To which you replied:

"John - I'm not sure the oil remaining in the filter would run out - especially if the filter has (and no-one should fit one without) a non-return valve." 

So, now we're agreed the oil will run out & leaving it overnight will avoid the mess of removing it immediately.  :wallbash: 

Excellent.  :thumbsup: 

John, for the record, I did not say anything about removing the filter 'immediately'.  

I simply questioned the necessity of leaving it to drain over-night, but if there is benefit (no matter how small) then OK.

Also, no matter how long you leave oil to drain, you will not get all the oil to drain out of the filter. Its horizontal attitude and a non-return valve will see to that.

Just as well we don't own V12 Ferraris' eh? They have twin oil filters installed upright - it's guaranteed to spil oil everywhere :)