free hit
counters
Zenos E10 - Page 4 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Zenos E10

Bibs

Sorry Bibs, I should have checked more carefully before duplicating your link.

Tom,  I've only driven a white prototype but the pedal positions for heel and toeing were fine for me on that car.  I especially commented on it as it's essential IMO, whatever the car.  Changing brake materials could well have an effect and settling that has to come before refining pedal positioning.  Neither EVO or PH mentioned heel and toe issues and surely Zenos would not have put the car out for media tests with such a driveability issue. It could have been one of PH's "rough edges" of course - but if so I would not have been as kind in making comments. 

Edited by mdavies

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would tend to agree, but they said on the Silverstone test day last week that they were addressing it, so guessing they have. First thing I said when driving the car (the blue one pictured in the tests), test driver agreed and said it was being addressed. They also warned before driving about the lack of movement in the brake, something they were also looking at. The peddles are fully configurable. It was the same car that they were giving to the press which is why we could not try it on track as it was the only car they had at the time.

Edit: Not wishing to be negative about the car - it was epic, just repeating what I was told on the day. Many people complain they can't Heel & Toe the Exige, but I say it's perfect, when you are using the brakes to a reasonable degree.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

10924181_10206206128102858_8952506347251

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Lotus upping the ante.....

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/lotus-pistonheads/lotus-3-eleven-details/31823

Ah, see its already come up in the 2-11 Forum. 

For a BOF like me I wonder if this is the direction of travel (forgive the pun) I want Lotus to go in? I love my Esprit for the 'GT' aspect and was really looking forward to the Elite proposed by Bahar, however slim the chance of it ever appearing. I'll never fall out of love with the brand of course and will keep the Esprit forever but what will my next Lotus be now? Even the Evora is going down a much sportier route and with my built in speed limiter (SWMBO) that's no use to me  :no

Discovered Zenos USA has a discussion forum on their (slightly different from UK) website.

zenoscarsusa.com  See under Clubhouse.

The US dealer/importer, Randy Chase has posted that their first car is due to ship from the factory on 26th March. Photos of it near complete posted.  Apparently it is being brought in prior to engine installation and a Zenos man is going over to supervise their first build.  RC says most are to be road registered so I guess that gets around some rules that would apply to complete cars.  Presumably some IVA equivalent process.

1509943_10206293978379060_17963555995366

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Saw this car at the factory last Tuesday. These look great little track cars unfortunately when I specced mine up on the website it came to £43k. I'll have another look and see what I can lose.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

That looks a lot of fun and performance for the money.

It's just a sports jacket. :getmecoat:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• 4 weeks later...

The Zenos E10 tub.

Found on Twitter with the caption: "Recycled Carbon cockpit helps deliver over 10K Nm/ degree of torsional stiffness".

CDXL9nvUEAEjNso.jpg

Interesting.  I wonder how those many sections are joined up.

I'm sure it's the same process, in fact, the same company that manufacturers the recycled carbon on the BMW i8. 

This is an interesting read - http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/recycled-carbon-fiber-update-closing-the-cfrp-lifecycle-loop

Evora NA

Bibs, indeed an interesting, and very detailed, article.   I note the BMW i8 and i3 mentions.

Given the fundamental importance of recycleability (right word?!) in the future, the article did not appear to address multiple cycles of reuse. Fibre length seems to be an important parameter. If the various recycling processes reduce length (or permanently change any other characteristic) on each cycle, does the material end up as "useless dust"?

Pardon the simplistic terms - material tech is not my field!

Mel

• 6 months later...

Zenos E10R

Evora NA

Sounds very much like the guy I spoke with who took his Zenos E10 on the Lotus on Track French Frolic this year. 

He wasn't over complimentary about it but that may have been influenced by the experience of having driven the car from Scotland to the South of France, it's probably not one of the most comfortable cars for such a journey.

• 5 months later...

Evora NA

• 2 months later...

I got my e10r back in April (1st customer e10r).

coming from a 211 I'm really really impressed. I think with the R they have applied a lot of updates that address the comments on the brakes and gearshift.

I use mine as a daily driver which I'd never have considered with the 211.

for the carbon tub, they use pieces but ones that are full length. So whilst being recycled it's not a patchwork quilt. They panels are bonded together. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The chassis is every bit as stiff as the 211. All the suspension parts attach to the central spine which is incredibly strong. As an added bonus, this allows much longer front wishbones than you can fit in an elise. 

I had some upgrade work on my car and was stunned to see that there wasn't any metal under the top edge of the body side panels (metal is there just far lower). When you get in and out you put your full weight on that part of the body work and given how solid it felt I was expect it to be supported. Nope, it's a few mm of carbon fibre and it doesn't deflect a bit. The main part of the carbon tub is much thicker and reinforced around a composite structure.

Suspension is very similar in that they are adjustable dampers with adjustable roll bar. It is much easier tweaking the suspension on the Zenos as the dampers are mounted under the front access panel on top of the chassis spine.DSCF2545_(800x600).jpg

"Roof" on

DSCF2543_(800x600).jpg

Interior

DSCF2539_(800x600).jpg

• Like 1

Ads, re the "roof" as you put it, I don't think even Zenos would claim it to be the most sophisticated aspect of the E10. It is waterproof and strongly made but is not supported in place, or tensioned. It works perfectly well and does all it is expected to, but I found my top speed limited by it starting to flap about at speeds above 55-60 mph. (Depends on whether you are on a reach, running or tacking I guess.) The exact sizing on specific cars wlll vary and be a factor too. I did find it an issue when there were many miles to travel, so I made a simple framework which keeps it stable up to speeds I can't put here. (There are those that doubt my private test track's adequacy for proving.)

Anyway, my supported hood has been fitted for the majority of 4,000 miles in my E10S without any sort of issue. It  imposes no restriction on the range of speeds I estimate are typically reached by most readers here.  Vmax, seen once, accidentally, having forgotten the hood was fitted when trying out the sports silencer ........ I can hardly credit it - perhaps it was a dream.

Having said all that, I hope people will understand that I can't go public with details. I don't hide it from view, but if anyone copied my design, perhaps with slightly different dimensions, or spring tension, or used some unsuitable material, whatever, and something came adrift at speed, the consequences could be serious. I regularly examine the hood itself for any signs of wear - obviously it is being used outside the role intended by Zenos - but there are none.

I have put one not very informative photo below. One aspect is obvious, but there are no side tubes - entry and exit is as usual by undoing each side of the zip. Once in place, it has no effect on using the car. As I'm not giving details here, my reason for posting this is that some otherwise enthusiastic reviewers have mentioned the "Get You Home Hood" as a limitation - it need not be.

DSCN2154.JPG

Edited by mdavies

Yeah I know about the "roof" - hence the quotation marks!

I agree it could definitely use something to tension it as you can see on my pics it has a large unsupported area.

I was tempted to use a fibreglass strut like what you find with modern camping tents to give it some tension and support. Just to take the floppiness out of the roof. As an added bonus it would help clear water that can pool in the middle of the roof.