free hit
counters
Zenos E10 - Page 5 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Says there they have sold 100 cars, wonder how many have been delivered?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I got my e10r back in April (1st customer e10r).

coming from a 211 I'm really really impressed. I think with the R they have applied a lot of updates that address the comments on the brakes and gearshift.

I use mine as a daily driver which I'd never have considered with the 211.

for the carbon tub, they use pieces but ones that are full length. So whilst being recycled it's not a patchwork quilt. They panels are bonded together. 

• Like 2

The chassis is every bit as stiff as the 211. All the suspension parts attach to the central spine which is incredibly strong. As an added bonus, this allows much longer front wishbones than you can fit in an elise. 

I had some upgrade work on my car and was stunned to see that there wasn't any metal under the top edge of the body side panels (metal is there just far lower). When you get in and out you put your full weight on that part of the body work and given how solid it felt I was expect it to be supported. Nope, it's a few mm of carbon fibre and it doesn't deflect a bit. The main part of the carbon tub is much thicker and reinforced around a composite structure.

Suspension is very similar in that they are adjustable dampers with adjustable roll bar. It is much easier tweaking the suspension on the Zenos as the dampers are mounted under the front access panel on top of the chassis spine.DSCF2545_(800x600).jpg

"Roof" on

DSCF2543_(800x600).jpg

Interior

DSCF2539_(800x600).jpg

• Like 1

Ads, re the "roof" as you put it, I don't think even Zenos would claim it to be the most sophisticated aspect of the E10. It is waterproof and strongly made but is not supported in place, or tensioned. It works perfectly well and does all it is expected to, but I found my top speed limited by it starting to flap about at speeds above 55-60 mph. (Depends on whether you are on a reach, running or tacking I guess.) The exact sizing on specific cars wlll vary and be a factor too. I did find it an issue when there were many miles to travel, so I made a simple framework which keeps it stable up to speeds I can't put here. (There are those that doubt my private test track's adequacy for proving.)

Anyway, my supported hood has been fitted for the majority of 4,000 miles in my E10S without any sort of issue. It  imposes no restriction on the range of speeds I estimate are typically reached by most readers here.  Vmax, seen once, accidentally, having forgotten the hood was fitted when trying out the sports silencer ........ I can hardly credit it - perhaps it was a dream.

Having said all that, I hope people will understand that I can't go public with details. I don't hide it from view, but if anyone copied my design, perhaps with slightly different dimensions, or spring tension, or used some unsuitable material, whatever, and something came adrift at speed, the consequences could be serious. I regularly examine the hood itself for any signs of wear - obviously it is being used outside the role intended by Zenos - but there are none.

I have put one not very informative photo below. One aspect is obvious, but there are no side tubes - entry and exit is as usual by undoing each side of the zip. Once in place, it has no effect on using the car. As I'm not giving details here, my reason for posting this is that some otherwise enthusiastic reviewers have mentioned the "Get You Home Hood" as a limitation - it need not be.

DSCN2154.JPG

Edited by mdavies

Yeah I know about the "roof" - hence the quotation marks!

I agree it could definitely use something to tension it as you can see on my pics it has a large unsupported area.

I was tempted to use a fibreglass strut like what you find with modern camping tents to give it some tension and support. Just to take the floppiness out of the roof. As an added bonus it would help clear water that can pool in the middle of the roof.

Even Zenos!

Working with Cosworth et al on a future hybrid drive system. Shouldn't actually be surprised of course, given their outlook.

The Zenos Operations Director in the photo actually spells his name "Windle". He is ex-Caterham but previously Tesla, so probably already up to speed with battery aspects. Seeing their approach to high and then higher performance (now an upgrade  kit for the S model), I can imagine one specific benefit of a hybrid installation in a Zenos perhaps being a short term "over boost" type function such on the Fiesta ST.

Trevor, re your query above, I see on Twitter that they just recently handed over the 100th customer car.

Grand Tour?  Grand Coup!

For the Zenos Marketing Department anyway:

sZ-yNgT0JiM0qhbUr3uemIMTtmTleZwE3zf2oMFCh9w?size_mode=3&dl=0&size=800x600
I9z8jnCizTeek1Zkljoty1C13PxVEwt2tR6-yhUyGSw?size_mode=3&dl=0&size=800x600

Be glad to hear from anyone who saw the whole Zenos related piece about how it did. Episode 5 I believe.

It's Top Gear The Grand Tour, they didn't really do much quantifiable reviewing, other than the startling revelation than the Zenos was faster than the Alfa Romeo - which we all know.

You can keep an eye out for my review of the Zenos E10 next year, the kind people at Zenos have agreed to loan me one for a video.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Look forward to that James.

I quite like the look of these but the interior really puts me off. Some people might say that's not the point in a car like this, but even the basic Elise interior looks far superior.

I thought the interior was ok and minimal as it should be but the LCD screen brought nice modern edge. It's looks are a bit unbalanced but of course it's more about how it drives.

Trevor.

• Like 1

I'll get around to it at some point.

I'll have a thorough opinion when I've got my hands on one, I haven't sat in one since it was a prototype that didn't even run!

I'm going to approach it as a Caterham alternative, or possibly for someone looking at an Elise that really just wants a track or sunny weather car

James Martin (JayEmm)

Unfortunately not. I would love to take the Zenos on track and if I can foster a good relationship with the guys there hopefully I might get an invite in future to do so.

Sadly the only people in Norfolk I know who have a track that I can use with ease don't seem keen on me taking their own cars on it, let alone a rival's.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Snetterton isn't miles away... 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

No and hopefully I may get to do some filming their but to do proper filming you need the track to yourself, even if for a short while. MSV are not easy people to deal with. And the only Lotus I have which will pass their noise tests is probably the Excel!

James Martin (JayEmm)

My Elise would. Not a fair comparison but it's a car I have access to.

I may ask Caterham in the new year if I can have a car for review but I highly doubt they're going to let me have one for a head to head.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Which Caterham derivative were you thinking? Assuming Elise Cup?

Have you considered Bedford? They may let you use parts of the track not in use on their corporate days. I've had parts of the track privately for a day when a corporate day was going on elsewhere. 

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Good shout, I might ask them. I would have to look and see what is the fairest comparison cost-wise to the Zenos.

I think I will be getting an E 10 S for review, very possibly the exact same one Clarkson etc... just had. It's probably the most popular in the range as the E10R is faster but £50k+ when specced and that is a fair chunk of money for something without a roof

James Martin (JayEmm)

On 18/12/2016 at 22:05, Inkyfingers said:

Look forward to that James.

I quite like the look of these but the interior really puts me off. Some people might say that's not the point in a car like this, but even the basic Elise interior looks far superior.

I think the interior works well (ok, probably biased!). The screens are great even in sunlight and the ergonomics are every bit as good as the elise. I don't think it's fair to compare with an elise though as easy to have a nicer interior if you want to add the best part of 200kgs!

I never really liked the 211 interior as it wasn't even tweaked for screenless/roofless driving leaving a lot of exposed areas. 

It has some nice touches... Things like lockable storage, access to battery/fuses/OBD. I can totally recommend the heated carbon seats - comfy even on a long journey and being heated really takes the edge off. I am still using my e10r even now which isn't something I'd have considered with the 211.

Downsides? Well the electronic cut off is infront of the phone holder and it's *very* easy to hit it if you put your phone there. It is quite embarrassing to say the least! I got some small luggage nets and stuck to the central spine and it works much better. 

On 19/12/2016 at 18:26, JayEmm said:

Good shout, I might ask them. I would have to look and see what is the fairest comparison cost-wise to the Zenos.

I think I will be getting an E 10 S for review, very possibly the exact same one Clarkson etc... just had. It's probably the most popular in the range as the E10R is faster but £50k+ when specced and that is a fair chunk of money for something without a roof

I was fortunate to get my E10R finalised before the price increase and ticked a lot of option boxes for considerably under 50k. However I do like that Zenos have a fully supported upgrade path from the E10S to the E10R so you don't lose anything if later on you decide for more.

I guess the real question the Zenos needs to answer is "Does the car offer a tangible improvement in driving experience, to make the practical trade-offs necessary"

An Elise is a car that COULD be daily driven. I never would, at least not mine, but I know plenty of people who do. However I think the Zenos is nowhere near being able to make that claim with the E10. They did have a coupe and convertible planned though...

James Martin (JayEmm)

4 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

They did have a coupe and convertible planned though...

E11 is the cab and E12 is the coupe iirc. I saw their renderings both late in 2015 and they looked stunning. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

The E11 is next (the coupe) and looks amazing. People won't be disappointed (and will have doors and windows and a boot).

As any Lotus owner knows, doors and windows are hard to get right. So made sense to prove the chassis tech with the E10 as this was considerably easier (relatively) without having to consider doors. 

The hard part is that whilst the E10 could survive as an IVA approved card the E11 will be (I believe) type approved... whole new level of complexity.