free hit
counters
Esprit Picture & Video Thread - Page 40 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

Esprit Picture & Video Thread

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
23 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

The fuel doors echoed the shape of the side windows according to Steven's. He took a day off after grafting on the styling buck and when he came back the engineers had squared them off!

Esprit_X180_Prototype_Detail

He also had nicer, more integrated mirrors too, swapped for cheaper off the shelf Ford looking production items;

Esprit_X180

Engineers are like wives. They think they know what is best......

On 9/6/2015 at 03:35, ChrisJ said:

If you are at/in the car you stand a better chance of stopping the fire if you have the fire extinguishers with you..

The plumbed in one is 2.25Kg of gas, the additional one in the car is 1.75Kg of foam. So long as you can put the fire out and stop the fuel flow, you should be able to avoid this terrible occurrence.

I know of one member on here who has managed to put out a fire that he saw in his rear view mirror with just a powder hand held one - made a bit of a mess of the engine bay, but better this than the whole car going up.

I'd advise everyone to get one plumbed in.

Chris

Hi chris,

been going through your thread (this and others) on your plumbed in fire extinguisher and have ordered one for my 'new' car too as i think it is a must have.  Question though, how on earth do you test them once everything is in place?  Would be great to know that they will actually work once you pull the lever.   not trying to be a smart alec, just genuinely interested.

Hi Steve

You can't is the simple answer.

However while installing you should make sure that the cable pull has a smooth operation and doesn't snag on anything, and there aren't any kinks in the pipes to the nozzles, apart from that you have to assume that all will be fine if/when you have to pull the lever.

I also carry another fire extinguisher with me as well.

What have you ordered? Are you going to locate it in the same place as mine?

Chris

thanks Chris - as I thought :(   Still, like you say - if you install it correctly, that is the key !  I bought exactly the same one as you as they ship to Oz (others did not).   As I don't even have the car yet, it's hard to know where I'm going to install it (car arrives thursday night YAY !!) - but, your location looks good to me.  I do however like the pull handle location that the guy with the S1 went for (behind door opening).

Check my photos for where to install in the back.

Don't install the pull handle where I installed mine :)

Chris

• Like 1

This S2 (RHD with red leather interior) is sitting in Luxembourg's former Lotus dealer: It really must have been something to spot one of these in the late 70s / early 80s. It looked as if it was coming directly from Star Trek even now!. The picture does not do any justice to its beauty.

IMG_4872.JPG.fe24bc109ecf81ed581d4beab0c

• Like 1

Arregueti

very nice car, i have the same colour combination, i am doing a restore, and its almost finishd

only my car is a Belgium LHD car, it will look the same as the car is done,

• Like 1

Actually, the paint on this one was showing the pass of time. And it just added to the beauty.

My pictures do not reflect the beauty of the car. Do share good pictures of your car when it is completed, please. :-)

Yess i will do! When its finished i will post some pictures, it will look as new!

57 minutes ago, nello said:

Gratuitously taken from the FB page so I hope the owner does not mind as I had not seen it before.......... The FYEO car outside The Norfold Motor Company in '82.......

espritFYEO007_zpsgx7ed4hn.jpg

That's how I had to move mine on the driveway when the windscreen was frozen solid. :-)

On 02/02/2016 at 14:36, Bibs said:

I watched this video with interest. Do people think the H gate can improve gear change? My gear gates are not the best on my Esprit, although it is set up correctly, perhaps down to some worn parts, especially when trying to find second from first, missed that on occasions. Having seen this now I'm wondering if an H gate could improve the change, at least you know where it's suppose to go when going through the box. Has anyone else done a similar conversion?

I think I might start to work this out, make a template.

24727918741_c36ed8dff7_b.jpg
24727918431_8c19ed581f_b.jpg

Edited by OwenGT3

Cracking video - add lightness and loose the numberplates !! Great idea

23 hours ago, OwenGT3 said:

I watched this video with interest. Do people think the H gate can improve gear change? My gear gates are not the best on my Esprit, although it is set up correctly, perhaps down to some worn parts, especially when trying to find second from first, missed that on occasions. Having seen this now I'm wondering if an H gate could improve the change, at least you know where it's suppose to go when going through the box. Has anyone else done a similar conversion?

I think I might start to work this out, make a template.

24727918741_c36ed8dff7_b.jpg
24727918431_8c19ed581f_b.jpg

I would have thought as the translator/cable adjustment flexes the position required of the gear lever would move thus making it more difficult to engage ?

Edited by Newts

I dont see how a gated shift could work reliably on an Esprit.

On the Ferrari 3x8 the gear linkage is just a straight shaft which goes from the lever through the sump to the gearbox and activates the selector shafts pretty much directly. Getting the shift adjustment right is difficult enough on those cars even with the very simple direct linkage. 

I would imagine it would have to be adjusted all the time to take up play and wear in the Esprits convoluted linkage.

Add to that the amount of play in the selector lever inside the gearbox itself has to be very small for a gated shift to work and it isnt on the Esprit.

I've refurbished my translator some years ago and correctly set it up. I also serviced the gear lever when I had it out to do my oil cooler pipe, so all is good with the mechanism, it's just inside the gearbox where there might be worn parts like the baulk rings. Those will get serviced when I have the engine/box out.

Going up through the box from second to fifth is no problem, it's just the first to second, sometimes it just can't be found, have sometimes gone into fourth by mistake. I could make one of these gates to see if it improves finding the gear, would require no alteration to my tunnel trim, so might give it a try.