free hit
counters
Changed the interior bulbs to LED's - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Changed the interior bulbs to LED's

Led bulbs arrived today. Do they really have a +ve and -ve end and if so how do I know which is which?

Mine didn't show a + or - on the bulb but there must be as mine didn't work first time.. I had to swap them round.. Then they worked immediately ;-)

812D6460-81A9-4C81-9822-07DA56524DF0_zps

Really quite dramatic effect... Wasn't sure at first because it's so different but now I love it. The fact that the light matches the Premium Interior door LED inserts makes it look as if it were stock.

Edited by auRouge
  • Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My bulbs arrived yesterday so I quickly popped out to fit them and they look great.

The one in the roof uses a slightly longer bulb so I just had to compress the connectors a little to hold it in place (time will tell), also the ones ordered for the numberplate lights are too small, so I have now measured the old ones and they are about 39mm long, so ordered a set of these from ebay :)

.:: Lotus Evora 400 - Red ::.. | ..:: Tesla Model S - Midnight Silver | Renault Twizy - Brilliant Black ::..

• 5 weeks later...

I did this mod this evening. No problem, expect that in taking out the drivers side footwell light i managed to snap the clip on the side of the clear plastic lens. Presume these are standard parts from something else. Any ideas what? Will help tracking down a replacement.

Thanks chris

I did this mod this evening. No problem, expect that in taking out the drivers side footwell light i managed to snap the clip on the side of the clear plastic lens. Presume these are standard parts from something else. Any ideas what? Will help tracking down a replacement.

Thanks chris

I think somebody on here said they are out of either an x-type or Toyota? Should be relatively easy to find...

I will be doing this mod on my Evora when I get it at the end of this week. It would be handy if someone could do a list of the bulbs and type for other owners and future reference. One question, does Premium pack already come with LED bulbs or am I getting my wires crossed?

Regards,

David Walters

Premium pack on my '14 has LED strips in the footwells (V impressed with that), but 18th century bulbs everywhere else, and, luckily all different sizes, which is useful.  Lotus must actually have a guy in charge of putting the right sized bulbs in the right tray at the right station.

Am waiting for my LEDs to arrive.  V excited.

So, I made a bulb tester using a 9 volt battery, some tape, 2 bits of wire and some cardboard and this is what I've worked out.  The 18th century bulbs have no + or - end.  They work either way around.  The LEDs (that have arrived, based upon a need to order like 15 different sizes) do have a + and - end. So you can't work out which way to put the LED bulbs in based upon which way round the old bulbs are.  This is very annoying as I'm worried I'm going to blow my fuse by putting them in the wrong way around and cannot get the smegging fuse cover open!

Man, this DIY stuff is hard work.  Mind you, I painted my engine cover red and that worked okay.

Awesome.

Sudders and Dany

Oh, and I'm assuming that the door lighting is LED.

AuRouge, your piccie is what inspired me to do this.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Sudders and Dany

Premium pack on my '14 has LED strips in the footwells (V impressed with that), but 18th century bulbs everywhere else, and, luckily all different sizes, which is useful.  Lotus must actually have a guy in charge of putting the right sized bulbs in the right tray at the right station. Am waiting for my LEDs to arrive.  V excited. So, I made a bulb tester using a 9 volt battery, some tape, 2 bits of wire and some cardboard and this is what I've worked out.  The 18th century bulbs have no + or - end.  They work either way around.  The LEDs (that have arrived, based upon a need to order like 15 different sizes) do have a + and - end. So you can't work out which way to put the LED bulbs in based upon which way round the old bulbs are.  This is very annoying as I'm worried I'm going to blow my fuse by putting them in the wrong way around and cannot get the smegging fuse cover open! Man, this DIY stuff is hard work.  Mind you, I painted my engine cover red and that worked okay. Awesome.

Put them in either way. Right way they light up, wrong way they stay off, but nothing is damaged.

The risk of blowing a fuse is highest with the footwell (near 99%). To pull the fuse panel cover turn the two buttons in the pax footwell. Then try to pull the panel out bottom first. It's tricky the first time, but gets easier with practice.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Thanks Thomas, that's good to know.  Will sack them in and see how it goes.

And, I'll pull on the freaking fuse cover harder!

Sudders and Dany

Ok thanks au rouge. Any one know for sure what car the covers are from?

I now have the problem that because the clip isn't in securely when I went over a bump it shorted the fuse. Which then meant the widow dropped and I couldn't lock the car! I have now swapped the fuse for the rear foglight one until I get another. Let's hope I don't wake up to a pea souper tomorrow!

Edited by cdl

Oh, and I'm assuming that the door lighting is LED.

AuRouge, your piccie is what inspired me to do this.  Thanks.

Jaws inspired me!

The A321 I was flying down to LCA the other night sounds like your lovely new SR.. Airbus like Lotus have only changed some of the cockpit lights to LED... Burnt the $hit out of my finger touching an old bulb being inquisitive :-O

I'll point Airbus towards this thread :-D

Burned my fingers too. Turns out that back in the 18th century, these bulbs were used more for heat than light.

Which, presumably is why Lotus put 2 in the boot, cos it gets so cold in there!

Sudders and Dany

Burned my fingers too. Turns out that back in the 18th century, these bulbs were used more for heat than light.

Which, presumably is why Lotus put 2 in the boot, cos it gets so cold in there!

Did you check to make sure they go out when you close the boot? Maybe they're so hot because they are always on.  :harhar:

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

• 6 months later...

Just picking up on this thread again. I can't believe it's been nearly 6 months and I still haven't done this mod yet despite saying I would. Recently I had wondered if I'd been keeping my Evora and my Esprit as one on my best mates was killed in August in a car crash. He also used to look after my Lotus cars for me. I think now I will keep them both, so tonight I have ordered both sets of bulbs from those links you've provided. I see they are coming from Hong Kong so will probably takes weeks to arrive. As soon as they do I'll fit them and report back. Thanks for the link BTW.

Regards

David

LEDs usually have a flat side on the cathode (-ve) side.

electronics_led_diagram.png

(source: http://www.societyofrobots.com/electronics_led_tutorial.shtml)

And little should happen if you reverse an LED:
1280px-Diode_current_wiki.png(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode#mediaviewer/File:Diode_current_wiki.png)

Enough electrical engineering for today. However I am thinking of doing this myself because that AuRouges picture is quite cool.

• Like 1

Don't worry, you're not mounting individual LED's. Replacing the conventional bulbs with LED's is a straight fit, just make sure to get the right size. Yes, they are unidirectional, so if the LED doesn't go on just turn it around in the socket. 

My LED bulbs arrived today and I've fitted them. Interior bulbs were easy except roof interior light wouldn't come out at first.

I then hit a problem with my rear licence plate bulbs as I had ordered 39mm long 6 LED bulbs but 29mm long ones arrived! I've sen an email to Amazon seller but no reply. So I bent the tabs in and fitted them anyway until I get some replacements. All work fine except I must have power problem to the passenger side footwell because the bulbs is only lighting up dimly. I've swapped bulbs around but still the same.

Overall I very pleased with results and whole mod took around 30 minutes to do correctly by removing both 3A fuses from front and rear fuse boxes and trial and error checking to see if bulbs light before fitting housing back.

I would recommend this mod!

Regards,

David Walters

I fitted mine with LEDs when I bought the car and they do make a real difference. Who thought bulbs from the Industrial Revolution would work in a spaceship of a car! LEDs are supercool. And, I'm a mong, I bought them from Amazon, didn't pull the fuzes; I just whacked them in naye drama. Job done. Awesome!

Sudders and Dany