free hit
counters
Ah, you only live once... - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Ah, you only live once...

worldwidewebs

It seems that indoor karting is the most expensive form of motorsport. Well it seems that way to me!

I managed to break a couple of ribs on Monday night during an evening event at Warrington Speedkarting so for the past 2 days I've been sat at home feeling very sore and even more sorry for myself. Anyway, having toyed with the idea of getting an Evora for a while I've finally decided to stop faffing around and actually get one!

Can't afford new unfortunately but will be going for MY12 and probably non-S as it'll be a daily driver and I don't own a petrol station! Joking aside, the non-S is plenty quick enough for the road - or at least it is for me :)

I had a good chat with Brandon at Murray's this afternoon so hopefully he'll be able to come up with something in the near future but it seems most people are wrong don't agree with me and have gone for the S model in the past year or 2 so I might have to be a bit more patient than I want to be!

Wish me luck on the hunt, guys!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Happy shopping! Manual or IPS? My favourite of all the Evora's I had was the NA IPS and that would be the one I'd buy. As noted, while not as quick as an S it's really not far off in 95% of driving and the best I ever saw was 34mpg! Better than both of my current cars! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Manual all the way! :D

I've had quick cars in the past but very rarely used all the power. There's something quite enjoyable about trying to get every last drop of performance out of a car and I don't think I'd be able to do that very often in the S.

www,

Hope your ribs don't hurt too much? I've bashed my hip once in A karting crash, blooming hurts!

Evora - You won't regret it. They are great.

I've used mine everyday and it's an easy and surprisingly economical car to live with.

Non S for everyday is just fine. In fact it's a really good compromise between performance and economy if your using it all the time. An S would be great but as the 3.5 V6 has torque it doesn't really matter too much. Drive both the short and long ratio transmissions though as they do make a big difference. Or buy an IPS, everyone on here loves them. I personally went manual and against the grain for the Long Ratio as kind of like holding onto the gears character and do a lot of motorway miles (it's really good on fuel, 32-36 is achievable)

Enjoy the hunt! Best material thing I've ever been lucky enough to buy.

Cheers,

A ;-)

I agree with the comments above and think the N/A is a cracking bet for you, based on your thinking.

I did like driving the S and the extra torque is nice, I found I drove it more lazily and didn't stir the box as much as the N/A though.

You're right about being patient, there aren't many N/A MY12+ Evoras about. A friend has just gone from an S to a N/A Sports Racer and there weren't many to choose from!

Edited by JAWS

Hope your ribs don't hurt too much? I've bashed my hip once in A karting crash, blooming hurts!

Evora - You won't regret it. They are great.

I've used mine everyday and it's an easy and surprisingly economical car to live with.

Non S for everyday is just fine. In fact it's a really good compromise between performance and economy if your using it all the time. An S would be great but as the 3.5 V6 has torque it doesn't really matter too much. Drive both the short and long ratio transmissions though as they do make a big difference. Or buy an IPS, everyone on here loves them. I personally went manual and against the grain for the Long Ratio as kind of like holding onto the gears character and do a lot of motorway miles (it's really good on fuel, 32-36 is achievable)

Enjoy the hunt! Best material thing I've ever been lucky enough to buy.

Cheers,

A ;-)

Unfortunately they do hurt. Just tried to walk down the road but turned back after 100m as it was too uncomfortable :(

I think I'll end up with a sports racer as there are very few 2012 cars that are non-S, non-SRs - mainly due to the better value of the SR I suppose. Unlike most people though, I'm not a fan of the black roof so I'd probably paint that body colour. But one step at a time!  :lol:

A friend has just gone from an S to a N/A Sports Racer and there weren't many to choose from!

Out of interest, why did he "downgrade"?

He certainly doesn't see it as a downgrade, he's had the S a while now and considered other cars but realised the Evora is what he likes best. So a newer, updated version that costs less to run than his S was the best bet.

• Like 1

He certainly doesn't see it as a downgrade, he's had the S a while now and considered other cars but realised the Evora is what he likes best. So a newer, updated version that costs less to run than his S was the best bet.

Good to hear :)

Btw, do you know if he managed to negotiate a discount and if so, how much?

Edited by worldwidewebs

NA is perfect for a road car - I love mine. You need to give it some revs to make it really shift, but if you do it's surprisingly quick and you're rewarded with a lovely noise.

Mines a daily driver and the novelty hasn't warn off in five months and 4000 miles. It also averages 27-28mpg on my daily commute which is a nice bonus.

Welcome to TLF Andrew. :welcome:

Best of luck with your search for an Evora. We'll expect pictures once you get it. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Did a similar thing 4 years ago where I damaged my ribs go karting, and needed up buying Ariel Atom as the seats supported you at shoulder level rather than ribs ;)

Whatever the excuse , enjoy the search :)

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Good luck,

Remember Brandon is on here!  Lurking.............. out of sight!  You will not be disappointed with the N/A, you will see I had 3 before the S and that was only because of a number of factors that only Man Maths can make sense off at MMC. I would have been happy to still be driving one if not for that.  My car is my daily driver when home on leave from offshore which means it hardly gets used like a traditional DD so consumption etc. not an issue.  I have and have posted many times that as Bibs said in 95% of motoring you don't need it and an S will not get past a N/A driven well on anything other than a runway or maybe a motorway at stupid speed.  Not to say all the torque isn't nice but the consumption is poorer by more than you may at first think if you use the grunt.  Any colour in particular?  I agree the black roof only looks good i.m.o. on brighter colours like red, yellow, orange and white ones I've seen. 

P.S. Broken ribs don't heal well after karting accidents.  I did the same at a stag party in Edinburgh years ago and remember feeling it for months under certain circumstances and please don't make me laugh as that really hurts!

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Hey Al, yes I've spoken with Brandon. All I'll as is that between the phone call and my string of emails he's one hell of a patient guy! :lol:

The biggest problem I've got is that, according to Brandon and others, 90% of the MY12 cars sold and almost all the ex-management ones of that age are the S. Given that I want all the packs that pretty much means it'll be an SR - not a problem in itself but they've only been out 5 mins so finding one could involve a bit of a wait.

So, colour-wise it'll probably be red or white assuming it's an SR.

Having said all that, while discussing the impending purchase in the pub this evening with the gf we got burgled and the police seem to think they were after the cars, so not feeling mega positive about anything at the minute

Sorry to hear that. Hope the pikey bastards rot in hell. Alarm go off?! Any CCTV on your road ?

My mum and dad's house was burgled when I was a kid whilst we were in it at night! My dad scared them off...

Ever since then all my family is anal about security. I have a decent house alarm and CCTV on the drive and patio doors. Won't stop a determined pikey but is a deterant.

Back on topic, would you not consider a high spec (all packs) low mileage non SR? Mines a non SR but has the Black Forged alloys and Sports Exhaust.. It's enough. Just a thought as there are a few around..

Good Luck,

A ;-)

Alarm went off, which they ignored but it may have resulted in a much quicker "job" by the scum. They had a quick scoot around the house but not long enough to find the keys to the cars. CCTV is one of the jobs on the list!

Re: the car... yes I would. I actually prefer the non-SR as I don't like the black roof (though easily fixed) and I'd rather have full leather than suedetex. All the dealers I've spoken to though say that they've not seen a MY12 non-S that wasn't an SR. What year is yours?

It's a 2010 NA in Carbon Grey with Paprika (Venom Red these days I think) from Bell & Colvill this time last year.

The car had been traded back to them by it's first owner who had it fully speced up and then fancied a new car. If you can't find one at your local dealer it might be worth having a chat with Jamie at B & C. You never know what they might have coming in.. Here's a few photos of mine! I went for a darker colour but tbh they look great in all colours so spec, condition and history are more important.

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/brijxxx/library/

P.S I installed my CCTV in one day for £250, I love having those red LED's pointing at the car! Everything logged with time and date on a rolling hard drive.. Access from my IPhone wherever I am!

Some very valid points above, but in the end I think N/A vs S is largely down to personal driving style and preference. Not something you want to get wrong (the whole idea is to enjoy driving the car) so I would suggest you try out both, and for the N/A both the long and short gear boxes. Ditto for IPS vs manual if that is an option you are considering. May involve a bit of shopping around and take longer to finally decide, but at least you will then know you have made the right choice for you.

in the end I think N/A vs S is largely down to personal driving style and preference. Not something you want to get wrong (the whole idea is to enjoy driving the car) so I would suggest you try out both

Tbh, no matter how good the S is or how much better than the N/A it might be, the real world fuel economy is so bad that it's not an option for me. The choice is between MY21 Evora N/A and a Cayman R - I'd be happy with either (I've had 4 Lotus and 4 Porsche) but I'd rather go for the Evora this time :)

Cayman R vs Evora NA...

That's a really tough choice, but the Evora definitely a winner in my book for its character at all speeds and uniqueness. The Cayman R will no doubt be better built , faster etc etc but the Evora does performance and style in the everyday world much better than the Porker.

I'd imagine the R with it's extra attention to detail on lightness will feel special (I've only seen one on the road, so it's like an Evora!!) The Evora in the real world with speed limits and traffic jams is IMO a more satisfying prospect. It will also be much cheaper to run with regards to fuel, servicing, tax etc etc. you don't have to be doing insane speeds in an Evora to put a smile on your face...

Finally I guarantee the reactions from other road users will be a pleasant surprise. The feel good factor everytime you get in it or take a look back as you walk away is off the scale.

Cheers,

A ;-)

Pretty much my take on it too :)

As an aside, what really annoys me about Lotus is that they consistently fail to learn what their target market actually wants. The MY12 cars are very close but if you want all the packs (and the car demands them at the list price) you only have the SR in limited colours to choose from. Don't get me wrong, the SR is a great car, but I don't want a black roof, I don't want black wheels and I don't want suedetex interior (nice to look at but not sure on longevity). And I want to be able to choose from more than 4 colours. Yes, the SR is very striking and has its place, but for crying out loud, Lotus, why do you have to alienate those who just want a "normal" car? Laser Blue, all the packs, diamond cut wheels and the same price as the SR - what's hard about that?

I'm pretty sure I'll end up with an SR (Hobson's Choice), but the wheels and roof will be changed and if I can find a way of taking the interior back to all-leather for a reasonable cost I'll do that too. I just hope that something comes up before a Peridot Cayman R with PSE and full leather...