free hit
counters
Scottish Independence - Page 18 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Scottish Independence

Kimbers

Is Ian Blackford trying to become Trump the 2nd? 
Every time he opens his extremely large mouth the amount of sewerage that splits out of it will one day cover Holyrood in the same way as Mt Etna covered Pompeii

http://news.sky.com/story/brexit-snp-calls-for-billions-in-compensation-to-counteract-devastating-high-price-of-leaving-the-eu-12183893

• Love 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Maybe Trump will take over the whole of Scotland, then the rest of the UK can vote to expel Scotland.

Same old diarrhoea from Michelin Man IB. 

He's really saying that Scotland is vastly inefficient as it will need £6 billion to fill in a few extra forms. 

after all, he can longer moan about tariffs and quotas. 

• Gold FFM

Would they like the vaccine distributed in line with what Scotland would have got if Brexit hadn’t occurred? 

ps. Not suggesting it, but it is a pertinent point. 

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Supposing Scotland did get independence and their application to join the EU took 10 years, could they survive that long on their own

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Who’s cares @pete - it’ll be our fault anyway.

But at least you won't be paying for it at that point.  Every cloud.....

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

so who will.? all those who voted for independence ? Although Sturgeon may not be there by then if Alec Salmond has his way

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM
10 hours ago, pete said:

so who will.? all those who voted for independence ? Although Sturgeon may not be there by then if Alec Salmond has his way

Every one of us who lives in Scotland will need to pay for it. Though I, and many people like me, will be selling up and leaving as soon as the vote is for. The benefit of course is that it will free up property for exiled nationalists to return and invest in and make good the promise of Independence and its benefits.

Yeah right, of course..... Lol....

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

4 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Every one of us who lives in Scotland will need to pay for it. Though I, and many people like me, will be selling up and leaving as soon as the vote is for. The benefit of course is that it will free up property for exiled nationalists to return and invest in and make good the promise of Independence and its benefits.

Yeah right, of course..... Lol....

there might not be enough demand for all the assets being dumped 

Edited by SFO
  • Haha 1

If Scotland does become independent I assume that means that those resident there will have to decide on their own nationality - whether they remain British or become Scottish. What will that mean for the right to remain or work in Scotland? If they choose to Remain British they will effectively become foreign nationals in their homeland. Similarly, I assume Scottish nationals will then need a Visa to be able to work in England on the same basis as all other foreign nationals.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Neal H said:

If Scotland does become independent I assume that means that those resident there will have to decide on their own nationality - whether they remain British or become Scottish. What will that mean for the right to remain or work in Scotland? If they choose to Remain British they will effectively become foreign nationals in their homeland. Similarly, I assume Scottish nationals will then need a Visa to be able to work in England on the same basis as all other foreign nationals.

Bloody hell Neal.  Most people up here struggle with what they should have for breakfast each day. This is far to advanced and what will happen, I am sure, is that people will have dual Nationality. You will remain a British Citizen and gain Scottish Citizenship.  Then people who live outside of the new Nation of Scotland but where born there will be apply to apply for Citizenship. Then those with family links will be allowed to apply (like what happened with Brexit and the sudden rush for Irish citizenship.

Then, the issue will be residency for tax purposes. So live in Scotland pay Scottish tax, live in Britain (rUK) pay Westminster taxes etc.

One thing I can guarantee is that the SNP have not thought about it nor do they have a plan for it.  It will be all wiffle, waffle, bullshit and damned lies. That's how they deal with everything else around Independence.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Neal H said:

no worries, lots of EU nationals will pile over to take advantage of an independent Scotland's dynamic economy 

• Haha 2

• Gold FFM

It's going to be painful when  your leader doesn't even know they've been "played"

In an exclusive interview with Express.co.uk, Italian MEP Marco Campomenosi explained why the chances of an independent Scotland joining the EU are very low.

He also revealed how, in order to disrupt internal politics in the UK, Brussels courted Ms Sturgeon at the beginning of the Brexit talks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

He also revealed how, in order to disrupt internal politics in the UK, Brussels courted Ms Sturgeon at the beginning of the Brexit talks.

I thought the whole thing treacherous .. and Theresa May put up with it. 

• Like 2

As per the Express article, If Scotland got accepted then it would set a precedence for other places such as Catalonia to apply hence why Spain would never agree. Then you have other places that have a large % of their population asking for independence like Corsica, Bavaria and even Sardinia. 

I just don't see it. Especially as Scotland will need an awful lot more support coming in than they will contribute and right now the Eu is struggling to replace the UK's Net Contribution!

• Like 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

• Gold FFM

A very interesting and intelligently written short read from an Academic in Edinburgh. She's also very brave as she will get targeted on social media for this.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-subversion-of-history-education-in-scotland

The "airbrushing" and twisting of facts is quite astounding, but not as much as the forward planning as this was going on for 10 years before the "vote" and goes some way to explain why the SNP Government was so keen on getting 16-18 year olds included in the vote.  It also may explain (1) the rise in nationalist support amongst the younger generation and (2) and the rise in racist attacks in the country.  I have been called a "traitor" for buying a 2ltr bottle of Tesco's own brand Sparkling Water (because it was "English" - hardly my fault that was all they had on the shelf as an own brand).  A guy walking past my Evora, when I was sat in it with the window open, referred to me as an "English [email protected]@t" whilst remarking about the Union Flag on the side of the car. I've been told to "fook off back to England" many times (can't say as I blame them really).

However, just to balance things somewhat, I have many Scottish Friends, acquaintances, colleagues and family (my mother is Scottish after all) who are warm, welcoming, polite, funny, intelligent, etc. The minority of them support the SNP!  :)

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

If there is any resistance to Scotland rejoining the EU, a quick route for them might be a Celtic union with Ireland.  Probably unlikely, but they have more in common than Westminster & Holyrood seem to.

Irony overload lately, witnessing those who backed the 'independence' of the UK now telling Scots that we're 'stronger together' 🤔

• Gold FFM

@Buddsy- like with many things 

37 minutes ago, Doug Ashley said:

Irony overload lately, witnessing those who backed the 'independence' of the UK now telling Scots that we're 'stronger together' 🤔

It's not irony. You cannot compare the UK leaving the EU with Scotland leaving the UK. The only thing they have in common is that one party is leaving another party.

The issues are compounded by a single currency in the UK, no central bank in Scotland, a hard land border, etc.

Also please remember that almost as many Scots (less than 50k) voted for Brexit as did for the SNP at the last election. So some mandate that is for Independence after the country had said no when asked directly.

• Like 2