free hit
counters
Insiders local knowledge required cousins - Topics - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Insiders local knowledge required cousins

Been meaning to post this for a while to follow on to the Sydney Accommodation posting.  I'm coming out to Oz for a wedding in Sydney and making a holiday of it at the same time so out for almost 3 weeks. Looking for some tourism advice from locals, as always better than any guides. 

All going to be spent in the Sydney area basically because of my offshore rota and the Stag Doo (Bucks party?) & wedding dates being the two weekends over there slap bang in the middle otherwise I'd have toured a bit more.

We are arriving on 23rd April and leave on 10th May and are staying at Quay West suites in the Rocks area at Circular Quay with what should be a fantastic view out over Bridge, the harbour and Opera House. Very iconic. Staying there for 13 nights then moving in with the parents of the Groom to a rented apartment for the remainder after the rest of their family leave and they are in the Wollstonecraft area over on the N. Side of the Bridge.  Wedding reception being held at the Quarantine centre at Manley.  I don't intend to hire a car for the first few days and do the walking/bus touristy things in the city itself, and then after we have the car maybe head out a little and explore the countryside. All this if drink doesn't get in the way of course with various other friends also heading out there.

So who can offer any advice on things that I should maybe steer clear off that are just tourist tat & crap, and the opposite, who has any suggestions of hidden gems from tourists etc. City or out of town.  When downtown are there any must try restaurants?  We enjoy good dining experiences and don't mind paying for it. (It is a long way to go to penny pinch over food!)  On behalf of SWMBO which of the malls are the best ones (Is that an oxymoron?) Basically anything any of you can be bothered telling me about in the area I'd be grateful.  Feel free to PM or e-mail me.

- Oh yes and realistically what weather should we generally expect?  On the day I'll be wearing the full kilt outfit like a large % of the men there so I guess I'll be cooking during the day? :blob fire: (All the bits weigh a bloody ton as well taking up a large % of my luggage allowance and all for 1 day!)

Thanks in anticipation. :thumbsup:

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup!  Well 1st time to Sydney and 1st time to Oz as a 'grown up' .  Did have a 4 month hitch on a tanker visiting such exotic ports as Kwinana (Freemantle) to Whyalla & Geelong & over to NZ & Fiji in my 'yoof' in the late 70's  :thumbup: - but that is best forgotten about....... :hrhr:

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Al, what sort of things would you like to do? You'd find a lot of the usual tourist stuff on the web and various guides. Or are you looking for something out of the normal eg like jumping out of a plane with a sheet of silk, hanging under a kite over sea cliffs, caving, beaches, checking out architecture etc Maybe hiring a motor cycle and going for a ride, or theatre, eating, finding a cottage to veg for a day or two...

Drop me a PM. I'll give you my number and see if we can organise a drive or two. Some good backroads around here. (I'm retired so prefer doing that mid-week).

DanR

Hi Dan,

Sorry for the delay but working offshore and life had suddenly got even busier than usual and.  I'm off on Thursday, weather, helicopter and train gods behaving so will drop you a line once I have more time.  Thanks for the response.

• 1 month later...

A bridge climb is worth it. http://www.bridgeclimb.com/The-Climbs/The-Bridge-Climb/

The simple things can be best, take the Manly Ferry. One of the best harbour views around. Catch the L90 bus up to Palm Beach, or drive. Take a drive out West Head, and take a picnic/bbq lunch. Fantastic National Park (Kuringai), great views across Broken Bay.

Do a day trip or stay up in the Blue Mountains.

PM me and I can go on with more...

Clive

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info you guys gave.  I had hoped to get in touch prior to the trip but work and other live events were simply manic and the first time I sat down in seemingly weeks was as we got on the first flight on the legs out.

We are nearing the end of the 3 weeks now flying home Saturday and have done all or most of the above suggestions.  Manley, various Harbour Cruises, lunch twice at Watson Bay, drive up to Palm Beach on a Sunday and saw all the shiny cars and bikes out and about cruising, not to mention the houses, Blue Mountains and lots more.  Shangri-La bar tonight.  Have loved our time here and just unfortunate the worst coldest day was last Saturday for the wedding and reception at Q station which was Baltic and all just a bit too sparse & authentic at times!

Also saw my first Lotus - an Elise yesterday in Williams Street at lunchtime so happy camper.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like you had a good and busy time. I think you were here when Winter hit. It has been warm since then. Possibly the hottest and driest May on record. We haven't had to light our fire for weeks, and that was only for a few nights. We'll be over your way next year, though not expecting it to be warm!

Hi Clive certainly chose a variable time temp wise.  Day 1 was 29.3C or something so lovely. By Day 3 it was 12C and rain so like home!  The wedding day was 11C with wind chill feeling like 8 or something.  Poor lassies all in typical wedding frocks.  All the 11 guys who were in kilts had been dreading the heat but turned out to be best thing!  The day at Bondi was deserted and warnings to keep out sea and only very experienced surfers allowed in so that was good.

You have a lovely part of the world and I did my bit to drink the Opera House Bar (Became the local) dry in a stunning location.  My favourite day was actually Katoomba and we didn't do the Blue Mountains justice or enough time.  Unfinished business.  Did the Bridge climb on last day in the end.  With now a connection out there - even if loose one- we have said we will be back sometime - but when warmer.  Just a pity so damn far!