Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

Ok so after a couple of months of looking at various 70's Elites and Eclats I have found a rough around the edges '77 Elite S1. Went to view the car in the night (not reccomended) after coming back from Italy at 12pm to Stansted, car was fairly local to thr airport and ment a quick detour rather than making a specific 6 hour round trip journey to view.

The viewing went well, took my LED light and went over the car with a fine toothed comb, although dark I could see that the vehicle was in good shape mechanically, newish chassis, new interior, engine looked bloody clean, underneath looks good and the body seems very straight. Horrible after market steering wheel, gear knob, (first on my list of changes back to OEM), and fairly respectible interior, even if not my favourite colour scheme.

Even though I didn't agree a price that night, myself and the seller were not fair apart and a deal was struck the next day. So car arrives Wednesday (photos to follow, I want to make this thread picture intensive as I know we all love to see photos!). So what to do with this slice of 70's motoring wedge? I don't have a fast and hard plan other than getting it road worthy and trying to get it back to OEM. Anyone who saw my S2 Esprit will see I like to do things right and original but always love to put a my own twist on things, so keep an eye out, should be a ball even if a few grazed knuckles along the way!

All the best, Charlie ;-)

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Cheers Budddsy, can't wait, I've started the project thread and haven't even got the bloody thing yet! Wasn't as bad as I thought viewing in the dark, as you say you look even closer than you might in daylight.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Good luck Charlie, if you need any spares including a good galvanised chassis give me a shout as I have a load of parts going birdie style, as in cheep, I need to get rid to make space for my next project.

John.

Thanks John, I've already managed to find a really nice original steering wheel, if you have an original gear knob, I would be interested?

Cheers

Edited by CharlieCroker

• Gold FFM

I know I do have a gearnob kicking about somewhere, just a case of finding it in a garage full of spares, last time I saw it it was still attached to a spare gear lever. Also got a load of door frames, windows, some very good chrome, two iffy interiors, door's, rear hatch two brand new tyres never been fitted, and wheels etc

Bloody hell, that was hard work. So I come home, car is waiting for me on the trailer and looks resplendent in all it's glory. So just a matter of rolling it off and into my garage, not on your nellie! Brakes cease rock solid, battery as flat as a pancake and will not jump lead start. So how do we get the fffing thing off? We try pushing, bumping, pulling, nope, she ain't moving! Eventually inch by inch with blood sweat and tears she finally hits terrafirma! I have to say though what a stunner, once on the ground you see the full splendour of such a wicked cool as it gets shape, sub zero. I have photos but can't see to post from my mobile, eerrrrr... so first question is, how do I free the brakes, most likely a ceased handbrake?

Car looks great! looking forward to viewing the turn around :)

Interior looks like it's in good shape, just needs a few original bits to replace the aftermarket stuff

• Like 1

Vin Taylor

Yes, it is in good nick, body is straight but paint needs cutting back, I may not have it repainted if it cuts back ok. Interior is new and leather just needs a tidy and maybe leather treatment. Horrible after market crap is coming out, original steering wheel and gear knob on there way. Clutch is the big issue, need to either replace it myself (which is tempting) or have it done in a garage. This weekend is my first proper look at it. 

People fit the S2 spoilers because they improve the engine cooling.   I think they look nice too.

Herc

Charlie, what's the problem with the clutch?  Is it just stuck?  If so you might be able to fix that without dismantling anything.

Charlie, what's the problem with the clutch?  Is it just stuck?  If so you might be able to fix that without dismantling anything.

The guy I bought it from said the clutch "went". So I take it it needs a new one? I must admit I haven't investigated it fully as yet due to the fact I haven't had a chance too. It would be amazing if it just needs a tweak here or there, my fear is it will need a new clutch but I am prepared to have a go myself or just let a garage do it. Need to get the brakes free first, they have ceased, any ideas, could it be just the handbrake ceased? 

I'm no expert on brakes, but 

a) Establish which ones are stuck with the aid of a trolley jack.  This should give you a pointer regards the handbrake idea too.

b) If it is the back ones, they are hard-to-access in-board drums.  Hitting them with a hammer a few times might free them if it is just rust. A bit of WD40 / PlusGas in appropriate points might help.

I'm sure some others on the forum have more expertise.

Herc

• Like 1

he described the clutch problem as it "went"?

Check the cable - notorious weak spot on our cars. Fingers crossed for you that its just the cable.

If it is the front brakes that are seized, the calipers are Jaguar 3 pot and are available on exchange pretty cheaply. Have a look at ebay.

Rear wheel cylinders can seize in cars that don't get used enough (seized on mine - the shame!) cylinders are Capri Mk1 and early Mk2 (single piston) 1300cc and again are available on ebay. Rear shoes are MGC/Capri Mk1 3L.

best of luck

Edited by Dunc
  • Like 1

he described the clutch problem as it "went"?

Check the cable - notorious weak spot on our cars. Fingers crossed for you that its just the cable.

If it is the front brakes that are seized, the calipers are Jaguar 3 pot and are available on exchange pretty cheaply. Have a look at ebay.

Rear wheel cylinders can seize in cars that don't get used enough (seized on mine - the shame!) cylinders are Capri Mk1 and early Mk2 (single piston) 1300cc and again are available on ebay. Rear shoes are MGC/Capri Mk1 3L.

best of luck

Cheers Dunc, you have to love this forum, information just keeps coming! Thanks for all the great advice, will be great to see this stunner back on the road soon.  :thumbsup:

Nice looking car, hope there are nothing but pleasant surprises ahead.

As for brakes, first short term, find the offending brakes and free them up however you choose.  I like ear plugs and the air hammer, but if all else fails, a LARGE slide hammer WILL get whatever off, just be careful not to break anything you will need later.

After the brakes are free I would rebuild them all.  I am a firm believer in "don't fix it if it don't need fixin" but all 30 year old calipers of unknown origin need "fixin".  If you are pulling the body I would wait until that point as it is easy to do the brakes with the body off.

The rear cylinders are cheap so I would defiantly do them and coat the slides and adjusters with anti seize compound.

For the fronts, if the pistons aren't too seized (you can get them out), you might want to rebuild them.  It is a lot cheaper, you know it was done correctly, and you can join the "I rebuilt my own caliper" club.

If you never did a caliper rebuild the three pot is a little tricky.  I would find someone who has done this before to assist.  

Here is a single pot rebuild on youtube

Keep the pictures coming.

• Like 1

Ok, so I've had my first look over the car and although the rear brakes are rock solid not gunna f×% king move seized to high heaven the car in general looks ok. Definitely at some point had a new chassis and I think looks to be original paint. The paint is faded but a quick test with cutting compound and then tcut shows that there is life in it yet. Wheels just need a polish, engine looks clean and original, interior is sufficient but not my taste and will need a change at some point. What else can I do to free the brakes, almost impossible to free the drum due to the fact that access to the rear of it is almost impossible?

Loads of photos tomorrow ;-) Anyway guess what? GOT THE BRAKES FREE! Had to resort to a bit of a drastic measure but when in need, needs must. So access is practically impossible to the handbrake mechanism on the inboard drums with the body on but I noticed that the body was very close to the drums, so out came the rear seats and I cut two inspection panels into the shell. Usinf this method you can easily inspect and adjust the hand brake. So with penatrating oil and using a long screw driver I wiggled the two levers either side until the cable moved! Then with utter brut force I began pushing the car back and forth and slowly she gave up the fight and began to roll, ureaka! I'll post photos tomorrow of the inspection holes, which I hasten to add will be staying in the event theu freeze again. A small modification that worked. :-)

After a quick clean. 

20140222_135146_zps7c982d24.jpg

20140222_135204_zps7b5c7099.jpg

The most hideous interior known to man.

20140222_153249_zps12855952.jpg

20140222_153232_zps927104d9.jpg

The lump.

20140222_153314_zpsa66258ba.jpg

Inspection panel.

20140223_153914_zps3f71b03f.jpg

20140222_140835_zps957df567.jpg

Paint test, life in the paint yet!