Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 49 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

Speaking of niggles, and a word to the wise...I had the elite parked in the yard over the weekend, and we had some monsoon rains on Saturday. On Sunday I decided to put the car on the lift to bleed the brakes. I hopped in she fired right up and as soon as I let the clutch out I heard this sloshing sound! I let dumped the clutch, looked at the passenger side floor and saw a tidal wave of water flowing back and forth under the seat. About 2-3 inches of water had flooded the passenger side floor board! I shop vacuumed It out and proceeded to look for the cause. Under the cowl screen, where the windscreen squirters are, I found there was about 3 inches of water, I removed the screen and found the rubber drain hose completely plugged. Took a long screw driver and woosh out it went. It was full right to the bottom of where the heater hose enters the cabin. It must have been pouring in! Make sure you give yours a look sometime. 

• Like 1

'89 Esprit, '77 Elite 503, '72 MGB, '95 XJ12, '10 Mini Cooper, '67 Imperial, '78 New Yorker, '76 Town & Country '73 Cessna 150

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Will do. Anyone got a good windscreen for sale? Just on my way back and only 20 minutes into the run on the M25 what felt like (at the moment of impact) a boulder the size of mount everest hit the screen, big crack right down the middle! 

Make sure whoever fits it knows what they are doing.

I had a new screen fitted to my Excel many years ago, and after about 4 years it started to leak from the top.

The screen is fixed with a glue that never goes completely hard. You must fit spacers at the bottom, else the screen gradually, slowly slides down until there is a gap at the top.

The replacement screen, with spacers, fitted by LotusBits has been fine.

• Like 1

Look at the flipping state of that! Gutted man, felt like a bullet hitting it, I had to duck for cover! Thanks for the info regarding the screen, I'm pretty sure I'm covered, but surely they won't replace a classic car screen, will they? 

20170509_185013_zpspwpag8c7.jpg

When I had a stone fly up from a van in front when I was in my Esprit, it happened as if in slow motion, I watched the stone in the air until it hit the screen - luckily not with such a result as yours. Mine was only a chip and I was covered, so I guess I'd be covered for a replacement.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.

• Like 1

I'll get it sorted, just a bit deflated after a good show and good few days down in Brooklands. I have to say though what a car this is, I know I keep banging on about this and that, but she just covered the 180 return trip like no sweat at all. I was in the car for 5 solid hours, I must of picked up every traffic incident, every roads works, every delay and anything else you can think of this side of the Watford gap but she just kept banging away, never missed a beat, never moaned once. Didn't even get toasty hot, airbags didn't drop one single PSI, incredible, really is a special car. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen, we need to talk... might have to sell. Not something I thought I would be putting out to the forum but my situation is changing fast and I'm struggling to find a solution to keep hold of the car logistically or worst financially. Without going into to much detail, a relocation back south is pending and this will push my already skinny finances to the very limit. I've been racking my brains to find away of keeping the car (which could be stored) but then would not see much use, just locked in a garage. Is it worth storing a car that gets little use or do I pluck up the courage and sell in the hope the new owner gets to use it frequently? If I was loaded I would keep it without question, just store it until I reestablish finances and bring it with me. Just don't know what to do, I'll know I'll regret it if I sell big big part of me this car and build. Nothing is ever straight forward, just like the final scene in the Italian Job, hanging in the balance, I don't want to sell but the gold is there waiting...

• Gold FFM

Hope u don't have to sell Charlie as you climbed a mountain building her. Here's hoping for the best whatever way it goes.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I was just thinking back to all the negative comments that were being made while The Panther was in her early stages of birth and the ideas that were being posted. Now you read the most current comments and its like reading about two different cars.

Just shows what a couple of years can do.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear the news that things are changing in your life and you might have to sell up. I had a similar situation when I came back from Japan (I'd spent around £10,000 in upgrades to it over the previous 2 1/2 years) and ended up deciding not to ship it back to the UK. Instead I parted it out. Still regret that decision.

Hope you manage to keep hold of it.

Well you take it on the chin and move on. I don't like to dwell on the negative just hope to stay positive all the way. A car like this will always be open to critics, but in general its mostly been good. If I could just find away to keep it for a bit longer maybe I can postpone the sale enough to keep it. It is literally on a knifes edge, which way it goes. Haven't got a clue which way it's going to go. 

I really feel for you, I've enjoyed reading about all the work you've done on the car and it looked fabulous in the flesh at MBW ( I ushered you into the Concourse car park with Barrie's approval so you'd get a chance to take it out on the circuit for all to see.)

As Dave says I hope things work out so that you can keep hold of it.

• Like 1

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

In my best Austin Powers Mr Evil accent... 

One Hundred Billion Dollars. Ha!

Don't really know, I'd probably just invite offers, see what people are prepared to pay, that is IF only I get forced to sell. In all honesty it will do better in the 'low rider' or 'stance' scene, I'm sure some dude will want this car and my first port of call would be in that market. I don't really want to advertise the car so it will be a behind closed doors kinda deal. Anyway all hearsay at the moment, still want to keep it if I can. 

Never mind the value of the car Luke, you have way more invested in it than it is worth.

How much do you need to avoid selling the car in the first place? Whereabouts 'down South' are we talking?

Look at it from all angles and then keep us posted.

Gutted for you - hope it works out

Ant

• Like 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Luke 

Do not sell the car !   As for storage i am in the same boat, the silver esprit is garaged and does not see much use these days.  

However given how much love,time,money and graft has been put into it, I could never bare to part with it.  Your car is the same regarding time,money etc invested and passion. 

Its not to bad to just leave these cars,  even for long periods of time if the storage condtions are decent, then when you get yourself sorted all it will need is a few evenings of spannering to get her back on the road after her hibernation. 

Look at it this way, if you sell, in years to come when you need to scratch that itch again the cars are not going to be cheap to buy, add to that the time and all the bits you will have to buy, to me its a no brainer. 

Hopefully someone on the forums can help you out storage wise,  or if

Not maybe put the feelers out in the retro car scene, maybe a business that sells alloys , air ride etc could maybe have it sat in there showroom ? 

Good luck what ever you decide to do mate, but if the pink panther was in my collection I would not let it go ! 

• Like 1

A

The big smoke, Charlie's coming home...

Problem is taking it around with me, it has to reside in a garage and properties with garages in London are well, you know, you need to be the son of an arab sultan...

I'm now thinking 6 months storage, see what happens after the move and if its at all possible bring it down after. But unless I can find a financially viable long term solution, I think it will go...

I don't want to get all doom and gloom about it though, it's a fun car, never ever meant to be taken too seriously, I mean come on, bright red with go faster stripes, slammed on air and flashy blinged out rims, got to have a sense of humour to roll a like this.

• Like 1

Very much appreciated, I've had a couple of other very kind storage offers and it's looking like I'll take one up on the offer, I'm in total respect for the help from you chaps and it looks as if I won't have to sell for at least the time being, massive massive thanks to those who've offered and I'll be in touch to arrange things as and when I get closer to moving in about a month or two. On a brighter note I called my insurance company yesterday and my windscreen is covered for replacement so just 75 quid access to cough up there. Here's a photo someone took from the Brooklands show...

DSC01146.JPG.53a89f8e8e710041b2eeacad371

• Like 2

That's great news Luke! Lots of great folks here, I'm glad someone was able to give you a hand till you get settled and take her down with you. I've been following this story from post 1, would've been a shame if you had to let her go.

• Like 1

'89 Esprit, '77 Elite 503, '72 MGB, '95 XJ12, '10 Mini Cooper, '67 Imperial, '78 New Yorker, '76 Town & Country '73 Cessna 150

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon lads, quick update. So my new screen was fitted on Tuesday, I'd already taken off the trim so that the fitter had an easier job, and we had the old screen out and new screen bonded in about 30 minutes. Using the advice from someone on here (thankyou) I made sure the fitter used spacers to set the screen height correctly. Ok so that went well, give it a day to adhere and onto refitting the trim. I have say at this point huge thanks go out to The Nut (aka John) for supplying me, for the princely sum of zero pence, the top screen trim in what I would call great condition, what a gentleman and a scholar, I tip my hat to you sir! As the clips tend to be either lost or crap I've had to resort to bonding the piece in, not the entire length but in strategic places to get the thing down. Anyway all good again now with a new screen and awesome trim piece back in place. Have a look see what you think...

20170606_105340_zps46xjzdz8.jpg

20170606_110655_zpspftysik3.jpg

20170612_163103_zpsynap313q.jpg

20170612_163051_zpsubfacuae.jpg

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Charlie, on the storage front, you can sometimes hire garages in London from your local borough council. There is normally a waiting list but they do come up - not sure on costs but they are not too bad. When I get mine re-sprayed, I will get hold of one... Somehow...

• Like 1

Yes, I had already applied, not heard a dickie bird as yet though, but at least I'm on the list. Thanks for the nod though, what with a couple of very generous offers here and a little small ads searching I think I've found a viable option. Just in the process of organising it all, bit of a mind mash to get all the dates lined up but getting closer. 

Hoping that the weather is good this weekend, need to get back in the car, been a while since I had a blast what with all this windscreen palaver.