free hit
counters
Titan bolts - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi all,

If I change all the bolts that holdt the split cases of the gearbox to 6AL4V titanium, would the bolts hold the torque reactions in the box?

Or is stainless better, or is the only way steel as per original?

I should mention, I prefer the titanium bolts.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not use titanium or stainless.  Titanium can be strong in tension, but it is soft in the threads.  Titanium and aluminum touching each other can cause galvanic corrosion as well.

It is better to use the standard steel grade 8 plated bolts.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

I know that, as many have said so over time, but I have used titanium bolts on my motorcycles as well as stainless for over 27 years with no ill effect ever. No more plated bolt for me, unless it wouldn't be safe to use them in certain Places.

My own experience is that 2,5AL3V titanium bolts are softer as you say in their threads.

I've seen a Picture of a Renault UN1 gearbox which seems to have been put together with alubolts, and that is one thing I would surely not do, as they are very soft.

I think I would use 6AL4V titan bolts substituting some of the normal 8,8 steel bolts. Not higher tensile strength like 10,9 etc.

Thniking of bicycleframes, the titanium frame can outlast a steelframe by factor 8, before it Begins to shift gear by the mere hard pedaling uphill (I know, I did ;) Wether this have any relevans to bolts I really don't know ;) Just for the info for fatigue, before turning soft.

Anyone ever used titanium on their Esprits?

Kind regards,
Jacques.

Edited by Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)