free hit
counters
Ferrari Figures - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Ferrari Figures

Bibs

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/feb/18/more-ferraris-sold-britain-anywhere-else-europe

UK is now Ferrari's biggest EU customer, 677 cars registered in 2013. Lowest price is £151k, with an overall margin of 15%. Largest market is still the USA with 2,000 cars delivered. 

Overall figures are close to £300m profit on a £1.9bn turnover.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They made £44m from licensed products, almost 25% of their profits.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Ouch! That last comment stings.

Seriously they gotta get their asses in gear when it comes to marketing. This or they have to innovate - maybe kickstart a marketing campaign? I'd chip in. Imagine if they could advertise at the superbowl in the USA or some other big event. Or introduce active brand ambassadors who will in their own time promote Lotus products for some form of compensation, lending their Evora to a magazine roadtest or whatever.

I'm not implying multi-level marketing or anything else ethically dubious but in 2014 there are a hell of a lot of ways of making a name for oneself other than throwing hundreds of thousands of quid on conservative media channels like TV-ads and whatnot. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Lotus couldn't compete in the £150k market. I believe that £65k is the upper end of what any affluent purchaser would pay for the brand. Lotus could manage this, but only if they have a core volume model that people want in the £25 to £35 bracket. Anything else would be suicide and taxi for Lotus i think.

Many manufactures have developed their new versions of old models. I wonder of Lotus could so the same?

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Good point - Lotus really should stick to the "affordable supercar" bracket that's just within reach of your average quasi-affluent gentleman. Unfortunately, there are very few "exotic" or "super" options in the 80-120 bracket.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

From this autocar article:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/ferrari-profits-rise-despite-fewer-sales-2013

"last year spending some £267m, which was ‘almost’ 15 per cent of the company’s revenues. It’s a proportion that is around double of what the typical premium carmaker spends on R&D."

Let's be generous and say Lotus almost doubles sales in the next couple of years to  5k cars per year. Average price in GBP (including worldwide sales)? 60K?

Rounding up generously again to the nearest 100 million, that's 300 million turnover.

Any idea about how much of that turnover is going to be profit? 

10 Million?

50?

100? (unlikely...)

And what *ought* it to be spending in order to keep its market growing against the competition?

What is the shape of that successful car business 5 years down the line?

(Just questions - no answers, but I hope one day to fill in the blanks!)

Good point - Lotus really should stick to the "affordable supercar" bracket that's just within reach of your average quasi-affluent gentleman. Unfortunately, there are very few "exotic" or "super" options in the 80-120 bracket.

The 911's in that price bracket, the Aston V8 Vantage, Audi R8 and McLaren have the P13.... not for a while sadly! 

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

I think any car over base 911 price (currently GBP 73,400) is wishful thinking for Lotus. They've never really been in that market. As an example I have a copy of a 1986 road test on the Renault Alpine GTA Turbo. They compare this to the following cars:

Nissan 300ZX Turbo: GBP 17,800

TVR 350i FHC: Price GBP 18,300

Jaguar XJ-S 3.6: Price GBP 20,400

Lotus Esprit Turbo: Price GBP 23,440

Renault GTA Turbo: Price GBP 23,900

Porsche 944 Turbo: Price GBP 27,600

De Tomaso Pantera L: Price GBP 29,000

So, historically this is the sort of market the flagship Lotus model was competing against, Lotus doesn't need to get into an expensive fight it can't win with Ferrari at the GBP 150,000 level.

Couldn't agree more, Lotus would be crazy to take on the likes of Ferrari, Lambo,etc. ... but the more I look to replace the Evora the more I appreciate what a truly amazing car it is. It's a tough act to follow...

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

An interesting side note to my above list is what those cars would be worth today, 28 years on. To be honest I doubt they sold a single Pantera L that year, so you can ignore that one, but the only car which is heading back up to its (inflation-neutral) sticker price is the Lotus, so it shows that the marque still appeals.

The equivalent Ferrari back then was the 328 which sold for around £35k in 1986 (A Porsche 911 CS came in at about £36.5k similar to a Lamborghini Jalpa)

So the price differentiation seems to be similar between the historic retail prices and the gap in the market underneath the current junior Ferrari.