free hit
counters
Doing something Amazing! What do you do? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Doing something Amazing! What do you do?

Kimbers

I recently read this story that my First Aid Trainer sent out, showing why learning a simple skill like this can be so amazing!

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news%2Fnational_world&id=9440009

I've found that as I got older I have wanted to do more for people. So, give us some idea's as to what we can do that is rewarding, how much time it takes up etc. What do you do? Even if it's give money to charity or items to your local charity shop!

I'll use the First Aid course that I have done as my example. I did normal first aid then advanced (which is targeted at more serious injuries from Car accidents etc, child CPR and mental health). Overall it was 3 days and I need a refresher annually (To keep your certificate you only need to refresh once every 5 years).

If you have more time on your hands you may want to try Volunteering at your local hospital, they always need people to help feed frail people, visit elderly people with no relatives/visitors or just help out around the place. (I don't do this I would like to though). Or how about coaching a local childrens football team?

So lets hear it, don't be modest. Give us your experiences. It may be something we have never considered!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep your wits about you though. There are some crafty RICH old maids out there.

My mate, 30 at the time, found one, a 65 year old who told him she was nearly 80. 20 years on and he's wondering why she's still on the perch bossing him about!

DanR

• Gold FFM

Spent a couple of years doing a weekly stint at a geriatric hospital.  Quite tough, regularly arriving to find an empty bed instead of some lovely old dear I was chatting with the week before.

I was a first aider for many years, and am now cabin crew medical trained, which is much more intensive.

Only used it once on board, when (being a chronic asthmatic) I was able to diagnose a guy in serious trouble that the rest of the crew couldn't, and kept him going until landing.

Years ago, I witnessed a nasty fight that resulted in a guy being knocked out and choking on a bad bleed.  Pretty sure I saved his life, though sometimes wonder why - when he came to (just as the ambulance arrived) he refused treatment, got violent, and told me and the paramedics to f*ck off.  He was clearly high as a kite on something, and I was covered in his blood - foolish me.  Ended up needing an HIV test for that one. Not nice.

In Concorde's last days, raised cash to take an unemployed Concorde fanatic for his dream supersonic trip to New York, 2 days before it was retired.  My funding idea was wildly successful and made much more money than expected, the remainder of which went to the Brooklands Concorde fund.  Spent 3 years putting that aircraft together for the museum.

Nowadays, my own family seem needy enough to occupy much of my free time!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

All good work guys and very rewarding. When my kids were little I spent 4 nights a week  running junior youth clubs, now most of those kids have kids of their own and still stop and say Hi when I see them.

I did a weekly deed called Talking Newspaper for a few years. All it involved was buying the local paper and reading it cover to cover into a microphone which was then recorded, taped and given to blind people in the area.

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

4999 posts of it too!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Set up computer club for autistic kids also ran it once a week for 8 months until they could manage it. Built web sute for them attebded trips with them. Now take a couples teenage kid to discos and the pictures to give them a break. Amonst other things

It's Oogies turn to boogie

If I can spare the time I do volunteer driving, taking the old folk to see the doctor, hospital etc – not in the Lotus though…

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

Wow, there's some great stuff on here. Andrew, how do you do the volunteer driving? Who would I contact to ask about it?

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Without blowing my own trumpet, since retiring at the age of 49 in 1993, I have set up no fewer than 5 charity shops. First was for Hospice in Knysna (pronounced with a silent K).. Second one was in Plettenberg Bay but and not support any one charity but gave to many. Third was for Child and Family Welfare in a town called Napier. Fourth was back here in Plett and was for the Community Veterinary Clinic to spay animals from the townships. The fifth and final one is for Plett. Animal Welfare Services. I opened this one in December last year and it is doing very well.

By all means blow your own trumpet bud when you are doing such good work!

Volunteer driving - This is a local thing probably started off via the local surgery, I know there are several other local groups near to where I am in deepest Sussex. I try to do one run a week, but often turn down requests due to work commitments. I know they are always looking for new drivers. If you are interested I would think a good way to enquire would be the local surgery

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

That's interesting Travis as my eldest daughter was born with no hearing in one ear and an 80 dB loss in the good ear, but a totally flat response.. The problem was caused by my wife contracting measles whilst pregnant. Fortunately we found out that she was deaf (severely hard of hearing) at a very young age and we had her fitted with Oticon aids when she was only a few months old.

Long story but with what little hearing she has, she went to a normal school and eventually qualified as a teacher and is now a teacher of deaf children as she can do total communications. Hear, lip read and sign.

She looked at going the implant route for her deaf ear, but decided against it, for the time being, as she manages so well as she is.

Interesting though is the fact that she has tried digital hearing aids and cannot get on with them so she uses a very high power analogue one that clips behind the ear.

Hi Roger,

That's great she has something that is working well for her!

Our hearing implant is under the skin.  The user can shower, swim, jump out of an airplane, ride a bike without wind noise...

We even have a version for people who are missing anatomy like the pinna (visible part of the ear), the ear canal, or any of the middle ear bones.

I've been able to meet some of the people who have our implant through the last 14 years that I have been doing this!

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE