free hit
counters
Period pictures from Hethel 1980 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Loose Cannon

Period pictures from Hethel 1980

Courtesy of Sean in Melbourne, some distance shots of the stock compound at Hethel in 1980. Came over all emotional on seeing all the minty fresh Series 2 Elites, Eclats and Esprits....look at the browns, golds and reds, it's trippy.

For me this was the best period ever for Lotus road cars, a full range like when Lamborghini had the Miura, Espada etc 10 years earlier.

12645825444_e90c46e382_h.jpg

12645466153_0544bec249_b.jpg

12645824834_b6f31aacbd_b.jpg

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

...and the "where is the focus ring?" series...

:P

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

You can see the snipper on the roof in the second picture

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

That's a lot of production. Was Lotus once again short on some pieces for final assembly at that time?  :huh:

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

No, that's where the old production line finished. In the 80's the place where the production line is now was stores....I know because I spent the summer moving Stores out (in the 80's) so they could knock down the old WW2 hanger and build what is now the production line.

At that time as well, Lotus and many other car Manufacturers didn't operate a "Just in time" or Build to order system like today. They kept stock levels across the model range. When they didn't sell them, workers, like my dad, would get them as company cars.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

You can see the snipper on the roof in the second picture

? What's a snipper?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

At that time as well, Lotus and many other car Manufacturers didn't operate a "Just in time" or Build to order system like today. They kept stock levels across the model range. When they didn't sell them, workers, like my dad, would get them as company cars.

When checking some of the Elite chassis numbers, the build date and registration date sometimes differed by 2 years!

That's a long time to stand about, I wonder if some of the troubles associated with the cars were exacerbated by that... <_<

A snipper is an assassin with a looooong pair of scissors.....(!)

And "Assassin" derives from "Hashishin"...one who kills under the influence of hashish...marijuana....although I've only ever seen people go to sleep in those circumstances...or be beset by the need to EAT.....(!)

Edited by molemot

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

A sniper with a snipper is not to be trusted

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

I agree, the best years for the Lotus range, shame the Eminence never got built...

You think? Perhaps the Etna... but I'm not sure about the Eminence.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

We used to get offered odd ball spec factory cars at great discounts in order to register as demo's. I think at one time, both my folks had Red Esprit Turbos in the mid 80's, which was great for a family of 5. Love these old photo's, would love to see more. As and when i head back to the UK, i planned to raid the photo archives from the garage days and see whats in there.

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.

I went out for a beer with John Harper Sutton a couple of weeks ago. He worked for Frenchs, the Lotus ad agency in the very late seventies and early eighties. Amongst other things he did the Esprit brochures at the time and has leant me some slides from the time I need to get onto the PC to share. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Awesome. Which garage did you work at Roger?

My father was the dealer for Essex from 1981 to 1990, Bridge Motors. They sold quite alot of cars for Lotus, it was quite cool growing up during the 80's with the Giugiaro and Stevens Esprits. I only managed a few trips to the factory, its a great place and I would love to go back. I might organise a factory tour in the summer when i'm home.

Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.

60209_The-Lotus-factory-banner_717x305.j

Hethel-Sales-Line-up-1967.jpg

Cheshunt

10-Building-Lotus-Cortina-1.jpg

12845.jpg

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Hi Bibs, John Harper Smith would have been there at the same time as the guy I purchased my excel from lasy year, this chap designed all the JPS livery for Lotus and the advertising data. His surname Marriot I think.

John, on page 51 of "Lotus 78/79 - The Ground Effect Cars" by John Tipler shows the JPS stripes being applied by a guy called Paul Crowland, that your man?

Hi Mark, sorry but cant see the page very well from here.

Hi Mark 

, I was taking the P, going to have a look at the log book and see if that's the same name once I get a chance.