free hit
counters
what column is used on with power steering? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

what column is used on with power steering?

Hello all.. Long time no post! But I'm after some info if possible.

I've got an '88 Esprit, but I've fitted the latest V8 dash and smaller instrument cluster. To do this, I also fitted a later V8 upper steering column, so everything would fit.

I had to get an engineer pal to 'cut and shut' my upper half of the column to mate it with the standard lower half though, as I still have a standard steering rack.

Anyhow.. my pal also has an 88 Esprit although his is standard. He's managed to fit power steering to his using a Vauxhall Corsa B electric power steering column.

Before I get one for mine to do the same job, does anyone know if the column on the V8's is from a specific Vauxhall, or if it was made especially by GM for Lotus?

It may be that as I have the later dash I can reduce some of the work my pal had to do to get it all to fit, if I start off with the correct column.

Cheers,

Glyn.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there should be a number on the outer section  -have to dismantle the steering on mine this weekend, so maybee I manage to identify the part

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

there is a delay on mine -to many points to work on, sorry  :D

(as the V8 now has seen lots of salt and rain, with over 7000km in January/February  ..as 'daily comuter' car & for the trip between my placement and home  -not a bad result for a 16 year old one)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

It's ok, I've got mine out now thank you. I'm going to do a 'cut and shut' with a Corsa steering column, as they have an electric power steering pump. My friend has already managed to do it to his '88, so I'm confident we should be able to get mine to work ok. :)