free hit
counters
More New Esprit competition in the works - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

More New Esprit competition in the works

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am left cold by the styling of new cars. They all seem to have been hit with the ugly stick. Nor do I like retro styling. The BMW Mini is horrible.

But that Alfa 8C is absolutely gorgeous. :D

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Mmm..

Thats odd that is. I like the back of both cars, but i don't like the front of either.

:D

I think i'm a fan of how corvettes used to look in pop-up light form and

especially in the 70's. I guess i like the back because it reminds me of

the older cars. Todays front IMO could be anything.

The alfa's arse looks very Ferrari and IMO this car looks ace from the

back, the front however looks a bit like the modern masaratis, which i

never liked as much as the more angular massers of the 90's (or even

the Bi turbo come to that!).

Saying this, i LOATHED the 350Z when it came out, but i'm warming to

it now...

Good God that Alfa is ugly! Except from the back. From the front quarter angle it looks like a Sagaris that's been drenched in filler, given old Micra headlights and painted! Urgh!

Is your seatbelt on? I want to try something

Don't like the Alfa at all - which is weird cus I like all the others, even the old ones.

They built this new dinky one on the likes of the Exige I saw, that looked cool but....dunno :D

The vette, plain and simple with a bit of value chucked in - rather have a Jaguar XKR though.

facebook = [email protected]

Mmm..

Thats odd that is. I like the back of both cars, but i don't like the front of either.

I think i'm a fan of how corvettes used to look in pop-up light form and

especially in the 70's. I guess i like the back because it reminds me of

the older cars. Todays front IMO could be anything.

This is the Corvette tiger shark Concept that GM were showing in 2001/2002.

I quite liked it. :P

2002-Corvette-Tiger-Shark.jpg

ts06.jpg

The 8c concept is beautiful. :P

Alfa-Romeo-8C-Competizione-004.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Saw the Alfa 8C at Paris show and it looked impressive in the flesh.

It had that aura of individuality and 'presence'

Mike.

"Neglect not thy opportunities"

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

I am left cold by the styling of new cars. They all seem to have been hit with the ugly stick. Nor do I like retro styling. The BMW Mini is horrible.

But that Alfa 8C is absolutely gorgeous. :D

Couldn't agree more with you Trevor. Is it the car designers? the computers? the legislation? I don't know but so few WoW factor cars, being produced nowadays. There must be a reason or have they just run out of ideas to play with? :D

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Wowsa that Alfa is U G L Y. Individual yes, aren't all Alfa's cause no bugger buys em cause they is rubbish!

Residual Value is shocking in this country too. We had a 4 year old Alfa traded into us just recently, cost new

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Love the new Alfa! A truly elegant style which contrasts with guppy-faced Audis, Bangled BMWs, bulbous Bentleys and lumpen Merc's.

A few years back I looked at a beautiful 3 litre Alfa 164. One of the finest and best looking engines of all time. Sadly the torque steer was so bad it wouldn't accelerate in a straight line and the braking system so poor it couldn't stop in a straight line. Went to Bell & Colvill and bought a Saab turbo instead. Hopefully the 8C will be properly sorted.

These things are all personal taste I accept, but IMO that Honda looks like it just escaped from Halfords.

AGGH! Poke my eyes out with sticks! :D

That Alfa's hideous! The back is ok and the side profile is ok ftom the back of the front wheel arches backwards. The front looks like an abortion - like someone tried to glue a Scaglietti (ugliest car per

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Wowsa that Alfa is U G L Y. Individual yes, aren't all Alfa's cause no bugger buys em cause they is rubbish!

Errr Anthony, I has 3 Alfas at the moment :P

They is all lovely cahs B)

They will be around a long time after all the Civics are crushed and recycled as Cat Food tins! :blink:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Give 'im 'ell, Wayne! (still waiting for some of your Duetto project pics. Dunlop or ATE, THAT is the question!)

Besides, don't the gratuitous H*nda pics count as shameless plugging? :P

Oh, damn, forgot he's an omnipotent moderator, now. :blink:

Fishy, that's only a real Corvette if it's got a 427 under the hood. Gotta love those S1 Esprit wheels! So they actually came from a Corvett parts bin! :P

I'm Sorry but it's not plugging it's merely an example of how aggressive styling (whether you like it or not) is coming back into vogue.

Sorry Wayne :lol: , I never took you for an Alfa owner! As an engineer I can understand it because they are lovely examples of engineering and design.

However :P , as an industry professional I have to reiterate that they 1. Are exceedingly unreliable, 2. Depreciate worse than any other car in the UK (Except a Fiat) and THATS official CAP and Glasses figures. 3. They are high in Co2 levels, Expensive to buy, poor in fuel ecomony, high in insurance costs and low in spec (UK spec)and all of that means in the UK that they are Rubbish..........Thats not to say the car is, it merely means it's not an intelligent decision to buy one.

I understand that buying an ALfa is a from the heart buy but unfortunately that equates to less than 1% of the UK market (hence their sales figures) which in turn adds to it being a difficult car to sell 2nd hand which again equates to even more depreciation.

My quote that "They is Rubbish" was made from a UK market point of view and the buying decisions thereof, not from the heart and can be fully backed up by figures.

Incidently, you are wrong in regards to longevity as Alfa's at 7 year old are unbuyable in the UK so are scrapped. 7 year old Honda Civics still sell for just under

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Kimbers!

You could argue that an Esprit is not a good buy by most of the same criteria - Heresy!

Agreed you could if Esprit was a mass produced car with the same buying criterea as Alfa and Honda, but supercars are totally different hence why they rarely make the "best seller" list....They also tend to retain more residual value than the "mass" market and you would never see any normal car appreciating in value like the early Esprits are. :blink:

When I said I was looking to buy an Esprit to one of the other managers at work he laughed at me and said "What do you want to buy one of those awful things for?". :P I put him straight but he still dislikes them.

Get Bibs to turn up at work in one and show he what they can do :blink: For me the love started when I realised what the car can do

Is your seatbelt on? I want to try something

Love the new civic. It's incredibly huge problem is the 2 tier dash - when you're inside your eyes have 2-3 focus points including the road which give people massive eye strain. The digi speedo should have been HUD like the corvette has, funny thing is everyone who's sat in it never noticed it until I pointed it out - now they all get head aches :P

Shame, we looked at buying one and it's an otherwise SUPERB car without a doubt, the only other car we narrowed down.....Alfa :blink:

Seriously, but they dont do an automatic box so we can't have one.

facebook = [email protected]

The Alfa 8C is just a rehash of the Stradale. I prefer the original:

alfa_33_stradale_1967_2_show.jpg

It was at this years Festival of Speed and looked fantastic :blink: . Here are some pics I took:

espritturbo-P7070057.jpg

espritturbo-P7070093.jpg

The Stradale is drop dead gorgeous :P

Franco Scaglione at Bertone did that one (one of his best) :P

He also did the Giulietta Sprint speciale B)

alfa-59giuliettass1484.jpg

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Mark - that Alfa is stunning! :blink:

I like the Civic type R a lot. I'm not massively sold on the styling of either of its incarnations but having hooned with several of them I know I'd have a bloody good blast in one :P

I'd be VERY worried aabout coming across a Type RR on the road, should they finally get their fingers out and produce it! I've a horrible feeling it would be one of those small, mass manufacturer cars that leaves us behind :P I had some hot-golf thing give me a REALLY hard time a while back :lol:

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

It's incredibly huge problem is the 2 tier dash - when you're inside your eyes have 2-3 focus points including the road which give people massive eye strain. The digi speedo should have been HUD like the corvette has, funny thing is everyone who's sat in it never noticed it until I pointed it out - now they all get head aches.

I have a Civic and have no problem with the dash. Drove a Neon the other day and I certainly missed the digital speedo. I always hated digital speedos before. My daughter was the one who pointed out that the dash is styled like a racing car's with the speedometer resembling the gear indicator and the fuel a temperature LED's looking like shift lights. Neat!

Maybe I don't have trouble because I have a base model so there are not too many gauges to look at.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE