free hit
counters
Wheel Arch Trim - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The front inch of my offside front wheel arch trim has worked loose. It looks like there was a stud fitting that has sheared off. Does anyone know whether this stud was integral to the plastic wheel arch flare, or is it a sperate bit (can't see without risking breaking the whole thing off. Also, any suggestions for repair. I may try epoxy, but would this be too brittle? (especially as there is a thin rubber sealer running between the flare and the wheel arch)

Phil B

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The front inch of my offside front wheel arch trim has worked loose. It looks like there was a stud fitting that has sheared off. Does anyone know whether this stud was integral to the plastic wheel arch flare, or is it a sperate bit (can't see without risking breaking the whole thing off. Also, any suggestions for repair. I may try epoxy, but would this be too brittle? (especially as there is a thin rubber sealer running between the flare and the wheel arch)

Phil B

Hi Phil

the same thing hppened to my NSF arch.

I 'glued' it in place using a flexible (not really) glue called Tiger Seal (Comma product i think).

I held it in place using reall wise masking tape until the glue had gone off.

Hope this helps

Glyn

Phil B

Another piece of less than perfect design...

The fittings consists of 6 or so studs attached by small flat plates ('T' shaped) to the inside of the fibreglass trim piece. These studs go through holes in the main car bodywork with washers and nuts on the back (inside the wheel arch). Water can easily access the nuts are but also easily between the bodywork and back of the trim. The plates can come away from teh trim and the nuts rust solid on the studs.

I found three of my trims loose just after I bought the car. I fixed them in different ways, remade plates and studs where they were to badly gone. Used araldite two pack epoxy glue to fix them back on, and generous lashing of coppaslip to help stop further problems with rust. I also used generous dabs of automotive silicone to bed the trims back down when I refitted them as I didn't want to just trust in those studs. Two of my trim where very close to falling off - but looked fine till I tested them, and I REALLY didn't want that to happen when driving down the motorway! The silcone also helped get them to sit correctly which I was struggling with and I didn't want to tighten the studs too much which would have risked pulled the plates away again.

Jeff

Thanks both, this has given a good insight into what it is, without having to pull and yank the thing to bits. Now all I have is the decision as to whether to do remedial work (glue/silicone) or whether to take the whole thing off and put back on (either fixing the stud, or doing the whole lot with silicone). I may go for the former option, but in doing this (cleaning the surfaces thoroughly) I bet the whole thing comes away.

Many thanks, will post how I get on

Phil B

Thanks both, this has given a good insight into what it is, without having to pull and yank the thing to bits. Now all I have is the decision as to whether to do remedial work (glue/silicone) or whether to take the whole thing off and put back on (either fixing the stud, or doing the whole lot with silicone). I may go for the former option, but in doing this (cleaning the surfaces thoroughly) I bet the whole thing comes away.

Many thanks, will post how I get on

Phil B

There is loads of road grit and stuff gets between the trim and body and you'd need to clean all that out to give the silicone or glue a chance to grip. I can't see a way to do that without taking them off. I would have left mine on if I could. But I really wanted to make absolutely sure of a viable repair.

Jeff

That's a good point Jeff. I have done a repair (epoxy) this weekend, and yes it was a pain with a thin cloth, and lots and lots of water to clean up the two surfaces, and even then I am not sure they were spotless. If the glue repair fails I will indeed have to remove the whole thing and start again, probably with better adhesive.

For now it looks fine, and we shall see howlong it lasts.

Phil B

• 10 months later...

I think there are new ones on the Lotus Parts sale

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

The steel brackets are available from ? (I can find out if you want)

I bought them in stainless so that they never rust again and tiger sealed them to the inside of the arch.

I sheared off all the studs are replaced them all. It takes a little time to cut them out using a stanley knife.

Glyn

A couple of mine were loose when I got the car and also two parts were missing.I used Tiger seal to re glue the little plates to the spats and its held fine for two years nearly.

I also had a new front one from the factory that just wouldnt sit right so rather than tighten the nuts too much we Tiger sealed and clamped it.Left it two days and it hasent moved since. :thumbsup:

The steel brackets are available from ? (I can find out if you want)

I bought them in stainless so that they never rust again and tiger sealed them to the inside of the arch.

I sheared off all the studs are replaced them all. It takes a little time to cut them out using a stanley knife.

Glyn

They are from bighead fasteners in bournemouth.

On my V8, their name was stamped on the bottom!

Glyn