free hit
counters
My12 exhaust - can you permanently open the flap? - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

My12 exhaust - can you permanently open the flap?

I am confused 🙂 

When i start my car (2011 evora s with stock exhaust) I always press the sport mode button after a few seconds and I can instantly hear the exhaust get louder as the valve opens. This is on idle at around 900 rpm.

Does the 2bular operate in a different way from the stock exhaust?

I have a valved 2bular on order so would be good to know what is normal behaviour when I get it fitted. 

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If it is "way too quiet" for your tastes a slight increase in sound won't do.  I would look into a straight pipe option that deletes that muffler.  There is a guy on the US board named Plackslayer tha

Yup, you just have to disconnect the vacuum pipe for the exhaust - est at the valve on the exhaust. Access is through that little plate on the bottom/diffuser on the left side.Don't forget to plug the

I am confused 🙂  When i start my car (2011 evora s with stock exhaust) I always press the sport mode button after a few seconds and I can instantly hear the exhaust get louder as the valve opens.

The valve is in the exhaust - the control system isnt. 2bular valve operation will be exactly the same as oem.

My 2014 car does the same at idle : valve closed in normal mode, open in sports mode.

But the valve closes when revs increase from idle and only re-opens in sports mode around 2300rpm.

Edited by mik
  • Like 1
On 22/05/2019 at 16:42, mik said:

The valve is in the exhaust - the control system isnt. 2bular valve operation will be exactly the same as oem.

My 2014 car does the same at idle : valve closed in normal mode, open in sports mode.

But the valve closes when revs increase from idle and only re-opens in sports mode around 2300rpm.

My use of the word valve in my post may have been a bit confusing. As there are a number of places to pull the hose off I was referring to either plugging the hose or the  'valve' nipple, not the actuator valve on the muffler.  Personally I would pull off th hose from both exhaust actuator and from the forward end at the SS line connection and fit a vacuum cap plug into the expose SS line, this method removed the hose from flopping around.   

Seems a little strange that the valve is closed at low revs. As mentioned previously, I thought it was broken so sent it back. Surely sport should stay open at all times and non sport closed at all times.....

W.

My 2010 S1 has the long ratio gearbox. At 70 MPH it is doing approx 1850 rpm in 6th gear, at those revs the flap is closed so it is a nice quiet cruise. That may be why they chose to close it until above 2300, with normal motorway speeds in the UK you don't have a droning exhaust.

Craig.

On 05/06/2019 at 14:04, Craig Red Evora said:

My 2010 S1 has the long ratio gearbox. At 70 MPH it is doing approx 1850 rpm in 6th gear, at those revs the flap is closed so it is a nice quiet cruise. That may be why they chose to close it until above 2300, with normal motorway speeds in the UK you don't have a droning exhaust.

Craig.

Makes sense. 

• 1 year later...

I'm dragging up old posts again! Apologies all.

Did anyone try this in the end?

Any downsides?

I much prefer the throttle behaviour in normal but the exhaust noise in sport!

I also just came across this:

https://www.komo-tec.com/en/lotus-exige/mk3-toyota-v6350380/exhaust/110/rc-exhaust-valve-control?c=495

although it is a bit short on information. I am guessing it includes a new valve actuatator and some wiring (and a plug for the existing vac pipe?) but only a fob is shown (?). 😐

Leave it open all the time, and use this to exercise the valve periodically.....

Have messaged KT to ask, but it’s possible someone on here has already fitted one?

Edited by mik
1 hour ago, mik said:

I also just came across this:

https://www.komo-tec.com/en/lotus-exige/mk3-toyota-v6350380/exhaust/110/rc-exhaust-valve-control?c=495

although it is a bit short on information. I am guessing it includes a new valve actuatator and some wiring (and a plug for the existing vac pipe?) but only a fob is shown (?). 

I suspect that it is the same kit as this:

https://www.elise-shop.com/eliseshopcom-electronic-valve-controller-kit-p-502725.html?zenid=a9664b43b1e32953a03913cbe661676a

The fob is certainly identical. It is also much cheaper. 

• Like 1

Excellent sleuthing - I suspect you are correct. 😎

KT just responded to my enquiry about product contents and fitment instructions, but they said only “we send a wiring manual with the part”. 

• Gold FFM
On 05/06/2019 at 14:04, Craig Red Evora said:

I had a non valved 2bular and it droned below 2300rpm so I'd say that's exactly why it does it!