free hit
counters
My12 exhaust - can you permanently open the flap? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Frimley111R

My12 exhaust - can you permanently open the flap?

Just been talking to some Aston boys and they said 'Isn't there any way to open the exahust flap  (i.e. permanently) without putting in sport mode?' I wasn't sure so here I am....

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Agree with Rob, but if you do want to leave it open I'm pretty sure you just pull the vacuum pipe out of either one of the valves.

Edited by JAWS

Agree with Rob, but if you do want to leave it open I'm pretty sure you just pull the vacuum pipe out of either one of the valves.

Yup, you just have to disconnect the vacuum pipe for the exhaust - est at the valve on the exhaust. Access is through that little plate on the bottom/diffuser on the left side.Don't forget to plug the line afterwards.

• Like 1

If you install an intake you will have to do the same thing since the stock intake has some parts that are integral to the vacuum system.  You can look at the install instructions for both the Radium and BOE intake as both detail how to plug the line.  I have a Radium and have plugged the line with a golf tee so that the valve is always open.  

Not done it but its still way too quiet, (used it on a hoon on Sunday in Sport mode). I'm used to a decatted sports exhaust (on the last NA I was driving). Options?

If it is "way too quiet" for your tastes a slight increase in sound won't do.  I would look into a straight pipe option that deletes that muffler.  There is a guy on the US board named Plackslayer that fabs them.  I am sure you could get a good exhaust shop locally to fab one up as well.  Sounds the business.  I would have done that myself if I didn't share the car with the wife.  

Sounds like this:  

In the alternative if you want it a little bit muffled Jim at 2bular has some really unique exhaust options available.  

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, how much louder was your previous setup (decat+sports exhaust) than you current setup with the flaps open (decat+stock valved exhaust)?  

Quite a bit (always difficult to define on a forum!). The NA with 3rd decat and sports exahust sounded much more meaty. That said, my MY12 car seems to have much better soundproofing. Its all a bit too refined for me. I did follow my own car for a few miles and it sounded ok, others liked it, but inside the car it was just too quiet. I don't need TVR level sound, somewhere inbetween is better.

2bular? The chap who had one fitted to his SR in Edinburgh could be hear from about a mile away :D

Quite a bit (always difficult to define on a forum!). The NA with 3rd decat and sports exahust sounded much more meaty. That said, my MY12 car seems to have much better soundproofing. Its all a bit too refined for me. I did follow my own car for a few miles and it sounded ok, others liked it, but inside the car it was just too quiet. I don't need TVR level sound, somewhere inbetween is better.

I've repeatedly considered just removing some of the thick insulation between the cabin and the engine. The 2+0 has a 3cm thick piece of foam there, the 2+2 must be similar. That should give a much more solid sound inside.

I haven't actually done it because more noise is the last thing I need on the Autobahn.

Been listening to exhausts on YT. The US one sounds nice and meaty, just need to read 15 pages on the US Fourms thread about it. Larini also sounds good. Only 2Bular one is the full system though so £££

Not much to the Plackslayer, just a straight pipe with tips that mates up to the downpipe, removing the muffler and third cat (in the US).  I had my exhaust off while installing a decat pipe and started the car up to approximate the straight pipe exhaust.  It sounded very good, just the right volume and tone.  If I didn't have to share the car with the wife it is the road I would go down.  My understanding is that you only get really serious volume, some would say in a negative way, by replacing the stock exhaust manifolds with aftermarket and hence doing away with the first factory cats integrated into the oem collectors.  

The 2bular website is on the mend right now but my understanding is that Jim can build you just about anything you want.  There are several different setups he has done including a dual can approach that looks and sounds quite good.

Larini is good and you can get a valved system with that if you want to keep the valves.  

Quicksilver sounds amazing but is pretty spendy.  

Speaking of spendy, there is always Kreissieg....  

As per my recent 2Bular exhaust install, I noticed the exhaust valve is not always opened (even in sport mode).

It seems the valve opens at idle and above 2'200 rpm... but closes between 800 to 2'200 rpm.

• Could anyone confirm whether this is the normal functioning?
  • Is there any way to keep the valve opened 100% of the time?

Bloooh - see the post above which mentions pulling the vac pipe off. Considered trying this myself, but havent got round to it.

(And as per my reply on your other thread - what you describe is normal.

26 minutes ago, mik said:

Bloooh - see the post above which mentions pulling the vac pipe off. Considered trying this myself, but havent got round to it.

(And as per my reply on your other thread - what you describe is normal.

I suppose this setting is designed for long highway trips. I may track it someday so I will keep it that way for now. Thanks for your quick answer!

I have no idea!

Cruising speed on the motorway has the flap open anyway....

I think they just wanted to avoid having a setting where the valve isnt exercised - so it doesnt seize - and cause warranty issues! 🤔

On 12/11/2018 at 21:04, bloooh said:

As per my recent 2Bular exhaust install, I noticed the exhaust valve is not always opened (even in sport mode).

It seems the valve opens at idle and above 2'200 rpm... but closes between 800 to 2'200 rpm.

Mine did this and I thought it shouldn’t so sent it back. Whoops!

On my na I had a switchable 2ubular made the same as saj's, when closed it sounded meaty, when open it was a straight through pipe and sounded amazing.

Probably stated 10 times by now but just pull vacuum hose from muffler or valve, but BE SURE TO PLUG the HOSE/VALVE on engine side.  Otherwise you will have a vacuum leak.

On 12/11/2018 at 21:04, bloooh said:

Bump - does anyone have a definitive answer here......keen to understand others' thoughts

Re operation of the valve in sports mode - this is normal.

To maintain the valve open I haven’t tried it, but see Julian’s post above.

Edited by mik