free hit
counters
WWIII - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

WWIII

Bibs

Is it really starting tomorrow morning? :blink:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Russia may have underestimated Ukraine. They have 130,000 full time troops and the same number of reservists. Russia have a huge standing army but going to war over this would cripple them.

Hopefully a lot of bluster, but I think so far Ukraine have been very reserved seeing as how Russia have taken over part of the country by force.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Wouldn't worry about the White House.  The most aggressive decision from that building will be the decision to form a committee, to discuss the relevance of forming a committee, to review the findings of the committee we formed last week.  For which no one remembers for what purpose that committee was formed.

Everything else will be BS and political grandstanding.

Edited by GavinT

cant help but feel if it was happening the other way round us or the americans would be protecting our resources in the same way.This row is about Crimea not Ukraine, they are russian speaking and want to be affiliated to Russia.,in fact up until the early 90`s it was part of the soviet union.It is  on a peninsula separate from ukraine with its own parliament.The russian black sea fleet is based there hence its importance to Russia

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

EU needs the gas, Russia needs it warm water port. I left the army after having my finger on a trigger that would have decimated and entire mountain valley. Wish I had solutions.

The EU-free trade deal and closer ties with Europe was too close for comfort seen from Russia's point of view - I'm guessing they were just expecting the rollout of another "missile shield" along their border with Ukraine had those ties come to pass (you know the kind the West threatens to install in Poland every couple of years when they feel like antagonizing Putin?)

In other words, they didn't want The West/Nato/Good Guys/Coalition of the Willing/<Insert umbrella term here> right on their doorstep - Ukraine is a decent buffer zone.  Add to the fact the above mentioned points that Crimea is home to a fleet and a lot of Ethnic Russians and BAM! You've got yourself an excellent excuse to "protect our interests overseas" which, when you think about it, is a right invoked by pretty much any other nation possessing a modicum of military muscle.

I also don't like to think that I've pulled the first paragraph entirely out of my ass - it's very much in line with existing western foreign policy and geostrategies formed a long time ago with the conquest and/or surrounding of Eurasia being a key goal in maintaining a geopolitical advantage in the world...

For the curious here's Zbigniew Brzezinski's work on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grand_Chessboard

and also related, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartland_Theory (see especially the first line of the quote in the section Strategic Importance of Eastern Europe)

So, while thuggish, Putins seizure/annexation of Crimea and claim to Ukraine's politicial landscape makes quite a bit of sense in geopolitical terms.....

/my $0.02 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Odd isn't it.

Well we've had the Olympics in the nature of good sportsmanship. Now we're done with that, what can we invade?

Is it just me?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

So it’s okay for the West to invade Iraq, but it’s not okay for Russia to invade Ukraine…

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

Never said that. I don't think it is right of any country to unilaterally invade any other sovereign country.

Though that is a topic all on its own.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Wasn't the Falklands War somewhat similar?

Argentina installing a missile base there wouldn't have been that much of a threat to the UK. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

And it had been British territory for 100 years before so we protected it, the same as Ukraine should protect the Crimea. The Russians going in to protect their "interests" is actually the total opposite of what the British did. Or did you mean the other way round Dan?

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

But I'm sure any country would protect their land if it were invaded?

Evora NA

Hope it dont creep accross borders I am off to the Kazi country again tomorrow and they are finatics.

Evora NA

Video of them doing it here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26432253

There is some merit in seeing it from the Russians` viewpoint  here. Three main reasons :

1. Crimea was only granted to the Ukraine in 1955 (albeit still part of the USSR) but with an ethnic Russian majority.

2. The recent pro-EU revolt in Ukraine does entail a fearful sense of encirclement of Russia by the EU and NATO; however further military action against Ukraine itself must be seen as a powder keg by either side and not worth the high stakes.

3. The Russians have (unjustly and inconsistently with 2 above) represented the Ukrainian opposition to their people as made up of quasi fascists whose ideological antecedents took  the nazi side in WW2.

However,whatever the Russians do, we know (thanks to the telephoto lens) that their investments will be safe in the UK. 

That and no one wants to be fed radioactive food!

If we get enough 'anti capitalists' to kick off in Trafalgar Square (you only need 0.1% of the vote....), can we appoint a new government too?  You can't condone Russia but surely there has been a coup in Ukraine? its hardly surprising they want to protect their interests.

Wouldn't worry about the White House.  The most aggressive decision from that building will be the decision to form a committee, to discuss the relevance of forming a committee, to review the findings of the committee we formed last week.  For which no one remembers for what purpose that committee was formed.

Everything else will be BS and political grandstanding.

As much as it pains me to say this but the evidence is in: "ever been kicked by a cat?"; not exactly painful. Sigh, 2 1/2 more years until next election, hope we survive.

• 4 weeks later...

Evora NA

Guy needs to be stopped! But don't tell him I said that because I don't fancy eating Uranium in my next meal!