free hit
counters
Satin black paint code? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Satin black paint code?

Hi all

Does anyone know the paint code for the satin black applied to early 80's S3 Esprit on bumpers and door mirrors?

I am about to get mine repainted and would like to paint them in the correct colour if possible.

The paint shop will be using a high solid (HS+) paint system.

Look forward to your collective knowledge.

Kind regards

Simon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LEW lists all the paint codes - 

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/ETechnical/PaintCodes.html

But Satin Black doesn't appear. However, the original paint code is on the vehicle identification plate, as described at the top of the list.

Hi Simon,

I searched for the same information for my 79 Federal S2 and eventually decided to use SEM's Hot Rod Black.  It has a nice mix of satin vs. sheen and doesn't have that "primer" look that is often seen in the flat/satin blacks.  I used it on my front spoiler, sills, engine cover, window frames and a number of other interior and exterior parts and I have to say I'm very pleased with the look (it's not like Hammerite - it has a smoother finish).  I wasn't able to locate a Lotus code for the satin black paint that Lotus used so I can't say if this is exactly the same shade.  But it sure looks nice.  Hope this is of some help.

Lou R

Hi all 

Many thanks for the information, I will have a look.

For information:

I have since been supplied the paint codes from a very friendly chap who has supplied paint to the lotus factory for many years. After delving through his archive he found the following information:

• The paint code in the 80's was ICI NA38 (Lotus code L08).
  • Lotus in the 90's used Dupont M1655 as an alternative.

Not sure if the codes are a direct match though so I would recommend getting some samples cards sprayed before committing 100%.

Many thanks

Simon

• 1 year later...

While sanding down my doors, bonnet, tailgate etc...I've found that under tons of coats (repainting over the years..) the original black on my car was not matt but very very near to gloss on the inside doors and inner bonnet. So I'm thinking to paint all the black areas with Satin 50% paint, but I'm not sure about the front and rear bumpers and front spoiler. My bumper are definitely not MATT but Satin, also the sills are the same. What do you think guys?

Giorgio

• 1 year later...

Hello Goirgio, 

I have just read through this thread and noticed you were deciding what to paint about a year ago. I am wondering if you have finished your  paint work " satin black" and if you are happy with the result. I am restoring commemorative 076 and I have the same dilemma  with which items should be satin.

Best regards, Allan