free hit
counters
Gearbox Noise - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Gearbox Noise

On 18/09/2018 at 06:33, tkathulevej said:

Okay, thanks Harry ☺

The room will sure be there also on the Esprit. Nothing in the way,  when  exhaust muffler is away. - Now just need to determine whether they are the root cause in fact . Like Roger I've noise in 4th and 5th gear (maybe very slight in 3rd too ), and I image load on rear end bearings must increase at increasing gear. Little strange though there is most noise at swallow cruise,  less at acceleration and nothing at all at decceleration. .. 😞

/tka

I would think that you may not get a lot of noise under acceleration as you are loading up the gears and the oil film that sits between the teeth. At just cruising, everything has the chance to rattle back and forth between load and no load, hence a bit noisier. Least noise at deccelaration as the momentum of the car will load up the backside of the CWP teeth (which are not worn). This will also change the way the load is on the bearings if they are the culprit. I would listen to Harry though as he is pretty cluey on this subject.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I see the point having no noise on the overrun since CWP will touch only on non-worn side.

Still puzzles me why noise is (clearly) different depending on selected gear...

My symptoms are EXACTLY like Rogers. Would be very interesting nice to know if he solved the problem (by changing CWP or other?).

Thanks anyway for every valuable input here… - And BTW the fact that the Esprit from beginning turned the Citroën box the wrong way is of course a weak architectural spot. Should one end up needing CWP naturally Harry's solution is very, very tempting 🙂

/tka